Jacksonville

playactionpass39

1 hour ago, Matt said:

With all due respect, @MavchampI have no idea what you are talking about…. daddy ball (?) boosters (?) what is daddy ball? And, there’s no booster network or anything like that at all….  I agree we must recruit more Hispanic players and we have some “culture” issues… like not winning….but there is NOBODY interfering or dictating anything like you said here. What are you referring to? 

I don’t live or participate in Jville anything, so I can only go by things I’m told.  Which can be taken with a grain of salt. 

Daddy ball referring to players getting positions based on who they are related to.

Boosters referring to players getting positions based on things given as gifts to the program. 

if those things happen….. and they happen in MOST places to more or lesser degrees, then it needs to be brought under scrutiny. 

Culture issues…. Referring to student lead optional workouts, putting in extra work, improving speed and endurance in the off season.  Things not mandated by coaches… but initiated by players.   Self direction.  Self improvement.  

That’s all I was saying. 

12 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I don’t live or participate in Jville anything, so I can only go by things I’m told.  Which can be taken with a grain of salt. 

Daddy ball referring to players getting positions based on who they are related to.

Boosters referring to players getting positions based on things given as gifts to the program. 

if those things happen….. and they happen in MOST places to more or lesser degrees, then it needs to be brought under scrutiny. 

Culture issues…. Referring to student lead optional workouts, putting in extra work, improving speed and endurance in the off season.  Things not mandated by coaches… but initiated by players.   Self direction.  Self improvement.  

That’s all I was saying. 

Ah, OK, thanks for the clarification. Not sure what you've been told, but I don't see any daddy issues or anyone playing based on who they are related to. The McCowns . . . they can ALL play! They aren't there because they are McCowns, that's for sure. This is the 2nd wave of McCowns and I was there for the first one and that kind of worked out well, I would say. Same thing happened . . . jealousy, people talking trash maybe their kid isn't getting to play, etc...maybe that's what you heard, I don't know. This 2nd wave of them can all play, it isn't because of their name. Our former DC had a kid playing LB . . . but he was as good as anyone we had, so he didn't play just because his Dad was DC. So I have no idea what you heard about daddy issues.

What I DO know if when you're losing, EVERYONE has an opinion as to why, including saying a kid is only playing because (fill in the blank.) This happens in every school district, it's human nature. It even happens when you're winning, perhaps to a lesser degree.

As for boosters, we have ZERO people contributing anything monetarily or otherwise so their kid gets to play . . . I'd know.   

Your last one . . . "Culture issues…. Referring to student lead optional workouts, putting in extra work, improving speed and endurance in the off season.  Things not mandated by coaches… but initiated by players.   Self direction.  Self improvement."

TOTALLY, 100% agree with this one. We do have some problems in this area. Absolutely. I'll never forget what Longview HC John King said immediately after they won state in the post-game interview when he was asked at point in the season did he know he had something special in this team. He replied, "Oh, we didn't win this thing with the games this Fall . . . we actually won the state championship last Spring in the off-season." Wow.

Unless you have a kid on the team you'll never know the true interior issues. I do not have one and don't have a issue either way. The question should be why a very successful sophomore class had almost all of the starters from the past 3 years quit? Qb along with 2 rbs. 3 wrs 2 lbs and a safety. When this happens depth becomes a issue in 5A.

12 minutes ago, Cat51993 said:

Unless you have a kid on the team you'll never know the true interior issues. I do not have one and don't have a issue either way. The question should be why a very successful sophomore class had almost all of the starters from the past 3 years quit? Qb along with 2 rbs. 3 wrs 2 lbs and a safety. When this happens depth becomes a issue in 5A.

Damn your sophomore class is nice. I know because I seen them with my own eyes when they played some Tisd schools when they were in middle school. 

3 hours ago, VonG said:

Damn your sophomore class is nice. I know because I seen them with my own eyes when they played some Tisd schools when they were in middle school. 

Not anymore all do not play. All could be seen every Friday in the student cheer section. Not on the field Rhursday or Friday. Got to get kids like this playing. Then ask why did they all decide not to play. 

14 minutes ago, Cat51993 said:

Not anymore all do not play. All could be seen every Friday in the student cheer section. Not on the field Rhursday or Friday. Got to get kids like this playing. Then ask why did they all decide not to play. 

They are going to wish they hadn't quit when they get older. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Matt said:

Ah, OK, thanks for the clarification. Not sure what you've been told, but I don't see any daddy issues or anyone playing based on who they are related to. The McCowns . . . they can ALL play! They aren't there because they are McCowns, that's for sure. This is the 2nd wave of McCowns and I was there for the first one and that kind of worked out well, I would say. Same thing happened . . . jealousy, people talking trash maybe their kid isn't getting to play, etc...maybe that's what you heard, I don't know. This 2nd wave of them can all play, it isn't because of their name. Our former DC had a kid playing LB . . . but he was as good as anyone we had, so he didn't play just because his Dad was DC. So I have no idea what you heard about daddy issues.

Anyone that says a McCown is not start worthy is laughable....not just this season..but in the past.  I've seen just about all of them play in an Indian uniform dating back to the Glory Days of J-ville football.  As for the Daddy Ball accusations, like I said, I'd have to plead ignorance.  But it's something I've been told by more than one person that resides there.  NO DOUBT it may be sour grapes or axes to grind....that's always a valid possibility.  But some times....some ULTRA-fans are guilty of some thoughts that can be detrimental to growth (I'm one for my team....and I think you are too of yours):   A) Burying our head in the sand to some things that need to be corrected and not ignored    B) Wearing rose-colored glasses.  Not saying you are doing either .....just saying keep your eyes, mind, and heart to the possibility that these issues may exist without your knowledge.  

What I DO know if when you're losing, EVERYONE has an opinion as to why, including saying a kid is only playing because (fill in the blank.) This happens in every school district, it's human nature. It even happens when you're winning, perhaps to a lesser degree.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct on this.  Living in Longview, I hear it even about a program as successful as the Lobos.  But I hear it about Hallsville.  Pine Tree had a lot of it this season with their struggles.  Being a Marshall guy....I heard it this season too.  Some mad we lost to Crosby.  Ridiculous.  Crosby could very well be winning state in a few weeks.  Sometimes other teams are just better than you.  The End.

As for boosters, we have ZERO people contributing anything monetarily or otherwise so their kid gets to play . . . I'd know.   

That makes me very sad for the J-ville players, coaches, fans, and community.  An active and involved Booster Club is an absolute MUST for a successful program.  Look at the more consistent playoff programs in 5A in ETX..... Longview, Texas High, Marshall, Lufkin, Tyler... one of the things they have in common:  strong and active booster clubs.

Your last one . . . "Culture issues…. Referring to student lead optional workouts, putting in extra work, improving speed and endurance in the off season.  Things not mandated by coaches… but initiated by players.   Self direction.  Self improvement."

TOTALLY, 100% agree with this one. We do have some problems in this area. Absolutely. I'll never forget what Longview HC John King said immediately after they won state in the post-game interview when he was asked at point in the season did he know he had something special in this team. He replied, "Oh, we didn't win this thing with the games this Fall . . . we actually won the state championship last Spring in the off-season." Wow.

And the one that will be the hardest to change.  These people screaming for change need to be patient.  It CAN happen...but it's unlikely that Jacksonville will go from (1-9) to a district title contender in 1-2 seasons.  They may need to give someone more time.  Are the willing to give it 4?  5?  As long as progress is seen in that time...I'd say leave it alone and let it continue movinf forward until the winning returns.  If you're still going 1-9 and getting blown out weekly....then maybe it was a bust.  But patience will be required.  Are fans willing to wait...even when it's hard?

Best of luck to Jacksonville.  I always loved our rivalry with them 2004-2012.  Games were almost always barnburners....and the Tomato Bowl was a house of horrors for anyone.  No matter if the Indians drop to 4A...or stay with 5A-DivII.... I wish them the best.  Just not at our expense...lol.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

All well said. Clarification: I misunderstood the booster thing. We have a tremendous booster club here that supports not just football, but all of the sports. They do a fantastic job. I thought you were talking about like , college booster. Duh! My bad. Again, I misunderstood so I want to clarify that we DO have a booster club second to none. Thanks for the comments!! 

• Like 1

Young people, like old people, make choices ... some good - some bad.

Every program, like a business, has standards and expectations - some minimal ... some more demanding.

Some people find it difficult to live and work within those standards.  And there lies in the choice.

When I was a young coach I had an old coach tell me this and I never forgot it:

"There's no program worth more than one kid ... and there's no one kid worth more than the whole program.  Finding that right balance can be challenging, but it must be determined  on behalf of both that one kid and for all the other kids.  We're in the teaching business, so the goal of  discipline is not  necessarily just to have discipline ... the goal of discipline should be to teach self-discipline."

I have always strongly believed that there's a reason the sport is in the curriculum and it's more than just a scoreboard.  Lose sight of that and the lessons that could be taught will never be taught.  Those lessons are important and in today's world it may be the only place left for young people to learn them.  And therefore it all boils down to choices ... some good - some bad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, DOB said:

Young people, like old people, make choices ... some good - some bad.

Every program, like a business, has standards and expectations - some minimal ... some more demanding.

Some people find it difficult to live and work within those standards.  And there lies in the choice.

When I was a young coach I had an old coach tell me this and I never forgot it:

"There's no program worth more than one kid ... and there's no one kid worth more than the whole program.  Finding that right balance can be challenging, but it must be determined  on behalf of both that one kid and for all the other kids.  We're in the teaching business, so the goal of  discipline is not  necessarily just to have discipline ... the goal of discipline should be to teach self-discipline."

I have always strongly believed that there's a reason the sport is in the curriculum and it's more than just a scoreboard.  Lose sight of that and the lessons that could be taught will never be taught.  Those lessons are important and in today's world it may be the only place left for young people to learn them.  And therefore it all boils down to choices ... some good - some bad.

I 100% agree. Kids make choices but so do coaches. 

On 11/18/2021 at 2:05 PM, Mavchamp said:

Tough job ahead of them who ever gets it as far as football is concerned. 

A drop to 4A may help…. But given the strength and depth of that 4A district, I don’t see how that improves their situation much. 

Jax is a great place when your winning.  I remember how great their fans were. Esp at home.

Gonne be hard to break that cycle.  But it most definitely can be done  

I wish them the best.  

still hate their stadium.  One of the worst places for parking, especially for visiting teams.  They've done some huge renovations since I left Marshall, but when we played there, I thought the away and home stands where going to crack and crumble :)  

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

still hate their stadium.  One of the worst places for parking, especially for visiting teams.  They've done some huge renovations since I left Marshall, but when we played there, I thought the away and home stands where going to crack and crumble :)  

The stadium is no longer an issue. Probably one of the best HS stadiums you will find anywhere 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

You need to go back and check it out. We have parking. It's just not parking LOTS. All over downtown, plenty.

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Definitely one of the premier stadiums in the region now.  But it seems to have lost some of its intimidation and lore. 

If you don’t mind parking behind a Mexican food restaurant….. all is good. 

• LOL! 1

22 minutes ago, Matt said:

You need to go back and check it out. We have parking. It's just not parking LOTS. All over downtown, plenty.

It’s a lot harder to get East now.  I work in Mineral wells… everything sends us into the deserted parts of Texas

• Like 1