#1 Carthage vs. #5 China Spring

cowboyandchrist

Carthage vs. China Springs  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

8 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

That just shows me all you do is look at scores. 7 against the 2nd unit.  

It could be a good game. But I believe only if Carthage turns the ball over multiple times. If they don’t, they cruise like last year. This defense is not going to allow 28

Honcho I will bet you to. Yall think this defense is God's gift to defenses about to get woken up carthage fan base is better than this to over look a CS team.

2 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

That was the actual point of my post.  It was sarcasm based on his prediction.  Robinson scored 7 in the 2nd quarter, 7 in the 3rd, and 7 in the 4th.  I was pretty sure 7-14 came against the second unit, just like half of HF.

Lol I’m with you. That’s my bad for not picking up on the sarcasm.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Allheartnoquit said:

lets bet since you so 100%

I am 100% that if CS scores 28 points offensively on this defense, they are the best 4A offense in the state. They held Gilmer to 7. I don’t think that’s an anomaly. I have faith in this defense and coach Preston. They have shown for the past 25 games that they can keep offenses in check. I think even with the offense Carthage had last year, they were less than 50% scoring on this defense in practice.

6 minutes ago, Allheartnoquit said:

Honcho I will bet you to. Yall think this defense is God's gift to defenses about to get woken up carthage fan base is better than this to over look a CS team.

Allheart,

Us Bulldog fans know China Spring is 100% a formidable foe and one to be respected.
None of us are discounting any unit of the Cougar football team, and we definitely know they have a game changer at quarterback.

That Dawg defense is going to have to be on point all evening in order to limit the CS offense and Bowden.

Are you going to be able to attend the game?

I hope you have a good week and keep posting here on SDC.

I promise, Carthage and Carthage fans respect China Spring. Those Cougars pushed us to the absolute brink in 2016, we appreciate the China Spring program.

Go Dawgs!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Allheartnoquit said:

Nobody is over looking CS but no team is scoring 21 points on this Dawg defense unless the offense turns the ball over a bunch. You need to YouTube the Dawg defense. 
The only defense CS played with a pulse was 3 A Lorena. That game ended 21 to 13. 

1 minute ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Nobody is over looking CS but no team is scoring 21 points on this Dawg defense unless the offense turns the ball over a bunch. You need to YouTube the Dawg defense. 
The only defense CS played with a pulse was 3 A Lorena. That game ended 21 to 13. 

CS won Q1 14-0 in that game, and Lorena won Q2-Q4 13-7.  CS did throw a pick in the end zone trying to score in the second half.  But little ole’ 3A Lorena held their own with CS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Allheartnoquit said:

This dawg defense has been talked about as being one of the best since 83 Daingerfield (and that’s by “experts” that cover Texas high school football statewide, not just us dawg fans).  You have to look at the yards allowed, because as you have learned today on this thread, points allowed can be deceiving with backups, garbage time, etc. 

As I have said elsewhere on this thread I remember the 2016 game which is still to this day one of the best games I’ve ever seen in my life. I don’t overlook CS, I just know what Carthage has and truly believe I’m going to see domination by the defense.  Right or wrong we will see, regardless it’s just what I believe is going to happen, I’ve seen nothing that tells me otherwise 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, buckeyefandom said:

If Coach Surratt wanted to be a college coach, he would be a college coach. Especially after the success Coach Traylor has had, there are enough schools who would give him his chance. But you have to pay your dues if you want to travel that road. There is an entire world of difference between reloading at Carthage every year and being a D1 coach at all… from assistant to Coordinator to Head Coach. The only similarities are the titles and what happens between a kickoff and 0:00. Everything else is a different world. Coach Surratt knows that very well. Make no mistake, Carthage is a full on “program” already, that looks and runs a lot like a college team. They understand player development, and they do a great job molding the talent they have to what they do. That is what makes them good every year. But in college, so many other things have to go right to even have the time to build that kind of success. It’s like a really good builder going from custom brick homes to sky scrapers. They are not even the same species as far as jobs go. Coach Surratt has long since earned the right to jump to the college ranks if he wanted. So there are reasons he is still where he is. He knows those reasons, and he doesn’t owe anybody any explanations, no matter what he does in his career. I personally just appreciate that he is continually raising the bar and being who he is where he is. The truth is, iron sharpens iron. The Yankees NEED the Red Sox. The Aggies NEED the Longhorns. The Celtics NEED the Lakers. And Carthage being Carthage makes our kids better, on and off the field. 

I agree! The Aggies need the Longhorns!

On 11/22/2021 at 8:13 PM, upullinmychain said:

Gilmer now as opposed to gilmer when Dawgs played em is a different gilmer...and that is real,real...Gilmer now might give tha Dawgs a run for their money...Rematch at jerah house?🤷‍♂️

Your right about Gilmer is a different Gilmer. I’m sure they’ve improved since that game. There’s one problem though. Carthage is a different team also. Remember that when they played early in the year that was Gilmers 5th game of the season and that was only Carthage’s 3rd game of the season and Carthage still won. I don’t think there would be anything different if they played again. 

1 minute ago, michaelmyers said:

Your right about Gilmer is a different Gilmer. I’m sure they’ve improved since that game. There’s one problem though. Carthage is a different team also. Remember that when they played early in the year that was Gilmers 5th game of the season and that was only Carthage’s 3rd game of the season and Carthage still won. I don’t think there would be anything different if they played again. 

It all depends on which Gilmer OC shows up.  There is a big difference between playing not to lose 70-14 and playing to win.

2 hours ago, buckeyefandom said:

PLEASE keep spreading that around the Carthage Field House (preferably while Coach Surratt isn’t around) 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏.  

I might be wrong,  but I'm not even sure michaelmyers is from Carthage.  I think he hails from Haddonfield.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

Ok so I'm finally ready to make my pick.  This feels eerily similar to how I felt before we played Gilmer in the state title game last year.  All week before the game we heard how much Gilmer had improved since the last time we played.  I think the score of the first meeting was 42-14.  I really wanted to pick the Dawgs by 3 TD's,  but bought into the hype and only picked us to win by 6. Final Score 70-14.

Now before you say it,  I already know, this ISN'T last year's team.  I know this,  especially from an offensive standpoint,  but defensively,  we're as good or better, which brings us to this week's game. My first instinct was to say Dawgs by 3 td's,  then I saw calpreps had us squeaking by by 3 points and it scared me.  I haven't seen China Spring play this year.  Maybe they're a bunch of monsters?  So I find myself trying to stay true to my gut and also paying respect to the unknown.

With that said,  I going with Dawgs by 17.  Hoping for more,  but not so spoiled I'd be upset with a 1 point barn burner where we survive and advance.  
Go Dawgs!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, buckeyefandom said:

PLEASE keep spreading that around the Carthage Field House (preferably while Coach Surratt isn’t around) 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏.  

What I’m saying is they are mentally beat before they get off the bus. I know a teacher from Gilmer that says that the last two years everytime they play Carthage they have no confidence and are saying in the classroom that they have no chance at  beating Carthage. This is the starters saying this. 

20 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

I hear what you are saying and understand the rationale. But the same thing was said last year when it came time for the state title game and also this year when they played in non district. “This isn’t the same Gilmer team. Gilmer has gotten so much better. Gilmer has closed the gap.” Then 70-14 happened in the title game and this year Gilmer was nearly shut out. They had one great play that was a desperate scramble to get off a pass and a fantastic catch by the receiver to score. 

Carthage has also gotten better and if they meet again I don’t think it will be 70-14, because that’s not the profile of this years Carthage, but I think it won’t be any closer than the game earlier this year. But Honcho could absolutely be wrong, we shall see. 

You are correct! Best post I’ve seen on here. 

14 hours ago, Allheartnoquit said:

Hamshire scored 14 I garantee you all China scores atleast 28 and I am saying a defense score will be the game changer 

35-31 CS

HF scored once and that was a blown coverage play and they got lucky. The second score was late in the 4th against the JV defense. 

4 hours ago, michaelmyers said:

What I’m saying is they are mentally beat before they get off the bus. I know a teacher from Gilmer that says that the last two years everytime they play Carthage they have no confidence and are saying in the classroom that they have no chance at  beating Carthage. This is the starters saying this. 

Our kids are well coached! 🤣 let’s just say Carthage has a WIN OR GO HOME scenario Friday, just like Gilmer does. We’ll stay focused on that. If Carthage gets back to another Gilmer game, they will be the most battle tested team. The Dawgs have the toughest opponent path for sure. 

24 minutes ago, buckeyefandom said:

Our kids are well coached! 🤣 let’s just say Carthage has a WIN OR GO HOME scenario Friday, just like Gilmer does. We’ll stay focused on that. If Carthage gets back to another Gilmer game, they will be the most battle tested team. The Dawgs have the toughest opponent path for sure. 

That’s all good what your saying but I’m just telling you what the kids saying In classroom when they have to play Carthage 

• Mr. P locked this topic