Jump to content

#1 Carthage vs. #5 China Spring


Carthage vs. China Springs  

63 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins???


This poll is closed to new votes


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TCU44 said:

Man if China Spring pulls the upset this board is going to go crazy!😂

Would really love to see that happen, but the UIL stacked the southeast region by dropping Carthage down there.  That makes life better for Gilmer, but forces a lot of good teams down there to all go though each other. Carthage and Aledo have owned the past decade in THSFB in their divisions. Argyle would have matched up well with Carthage in some of those years, but the numbers forced them up and Carthage down division wise. The UIL is making the Carthage path the most difficult, but that hasn’t even phased them. I’m not sure it will this year either, but that’s why they play the games!

All I know is most OCs looking at the Carthage defense at this point in the season probably has the Athletics Secretary researching basketball tourney schedules.

  • LOL! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree. Another “Style Matchup” quandary. Kinda like the WOS / BV matchup this week too. When teams are evenly matched in physical talent and good coaching, it comes down to each team’s formula for success and the other team’s ability to disrupt it. Historically, Celina has been on some lop-sided ends of Gilmer’s formula. But when Celina has beaten Gilmer, games have been tight. I do think Celina is the only District Champ left in their Region. They should advance to the Final 4. Carthage, Cuero, Celina and Gilmer on paper… but the south East Region has the toughest teams still standing as a group. It should be an entertaining Sweet 16 starting after Turkey Time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

I hear what you are saying and understand the rationale. But the same thing was said last year when it came time for the state title game and also this year when they played in non district. “This isn’t the same Gilmer team. Gilmer has gotten so much better. Gilmer has closed the gap.” Then 70-14 happened in the title game and this year Gilmer was nearly shut out. They had one great play that was a desperate scramble to get off a pass and a fantastic catch by the receiver to score. 
 

Carthage has also gotten better and if they meet again I don’t think it will be 70-14, because that’s not the profile of this years Carthage, but I think it won’t be any closer than the game earlier this year. But Honcho could absolutely be wrong, we shall see. 

Where the probs lye is that Carthage o ain't near as explosive as last season..might give gilmer the op to keep it closer,but the Dawgs need to worry about cs this week,nothin else matters,win and advance.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, upullinmychain said:

Where the probs lye is that Carthage o ain't near as explosive as last season..might give gilmer the op to keep it closer,but the Dawgs need to worry about cs this week,nothin else matters,win and advance.

They don’t have to be because their defense is even better than last year. Though if the offense was as good as Carthage offense is usually is, every game night very well be 60-0.  But you are right, survive and advance. That’s been a mantra of Surratt for a long time! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

I hear what you are saying and understand the rationale. But the same thing was said last year when it came time for the state title game and also this year when they played in non district. “This isn’t the same Gilmer team. Gilmer has gotten so much better. Gilmer has closed the gap.” Then 70-14 happened in the title game and this year Gilmer was nearly shut out. They had one great play that was a desperate scramble to get off a pass and a fantastic catch by the receiver to score. 
 

Carthage has also gotten better and if they meet again I don’t think it will be 70-14, because that’s not the profile of this years Carthage, but I think it won’t be any closer than the game earlier this year. But Honcho could absolutely be wrong, we shall see. 

Yep, I can't argue that.  Gilmer has to actually PROVE they can play with Carthage before even the majority of their own fans will agree with that rationale.  Both teams have improved since the first meeting.  The thing is, the Dawgs have gotten into the Buckeyes head space, and shaking that is hard to do.  You certainly can't play "scared" on offense against anybody, especially the Dawg defense.  You have to relax and do what you do best.  Any team left will absolutely have to play their very best football for a FULL 4 QUARTERS to have a chance at beating Carthage.  You can't just go out there and punch them in the mouth, and lay down.  You have to get back up and keep punching because you know Carthage will.

I just hope Gilmer has that opportunity.  There's too many good teams still trying to get to Jerry's world to overlook anybody.  Our players minds better be on Van this week for sure.  If not, we might not get there.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Raider20 said:

I just believe Surratt will be headed on to the next level in 2022. 

Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion.

I do believe SS has always wanted to get both children graduated from high school before making a move.

His son has a really good shot at being the starting QB for the varsity for three years barring injury, etc.

I’d suspect Surratt will be the CHS HC/AD for at least four more years.

👍

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

Yep, I can't argue that.  Gilmer has to actually PROVE they can play with Carthage before even the majority of their own fans will agree with that rationale.  Both teams have improved since the first meeting.  The thing is, the Dawgs have gotten into the Buckeyes head space, and shaking that is hard to do.  You certainly can't play "scared" on offense against anybody, especially the Dawg defense.  You have to relax and do what you do best.  Any team left will absolutely have to play their very best football for a FULL 4 QUARTERS to have a chance at beating Carthage.  You can't just go out there and punch them in the mouth, and lay down.  You have to get back up and keep punching because you know Carthage will.

I just hope Gilmer has that opportunity.  There's too many good teams still trying to get to Jerry's world to overlook anybody.  Our players minds better be on Van this week for sure.  If not, we might not get there.

Great post. And I meant no disrespect to Gilmer as I believe that between last year and so far this year, were Carthage in a different classification Gilmer may very well be looking at back to back championships. Just happened to have these teams at the same time and same class. But like you said, both teams have other quality opponents they have to beat first 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Raider20 said:

I just believe Surratt will be headed on to the next level in 2022. 

of course that is contrary to what he has said.  i believe he wants to coach his son thru high school and that is more important than any offers.  but doesn't keep lot of competition from wishfully thinking.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, house said:

of course that is contrary to what he has said.  i believe he wants to coach his son thru high school and that is more important than any offers.  but doesn't keep lot of competition from wishfully thinking.  

I'd like to see him stay in HS. Money is not everything! Been hearing a lot of chatter that Dykes wants him with him if/ when he builds his staff @ TCU. Plus that is time spent he will never get back with his son.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

seems like this topic comes up constantly.  can't imagine him making a big change with his family just as his son gets to high school.  he will have infinite opportunities at the time of his choosing.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TCU44 said:

Man if China Spring pulls the upset this board is going to go crazy!😂

Again, nobody is saying that Carthage can't lose this game.  But we are all pretty firm in our belief that nobody is going to do it by scoring 4 or 5 touchdowns against this defense.  

Crosby is the only team to break 20 points, and they had a scoop and score on defense. So they got 5 turnovers to go their way and only scored 24 points because they were held to 200 yards of offense.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Again, nobody is saying that Carthage can't lose this game.  But we are all pretty firm in our belief that nobody is going to do it by scoring 4 or 5 touchdowns against this defense.  

Crosby is the only team to break 20 points, and they had a scoop and score on defense. So they got 5 turnovers to go their way and only scored 24 points because they were held to 200 yards of offense.

 

Hamshire scored 14 I garantee you all China scores atleast 28 and I am saying a defense score will be the game changer 

 

35-31 CS

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Coach Surratt wanted to be a college coach, he would be a college coach. Especially after the success Coach Traylor has had, there are enough schools who would give him his chance. But you have to pay your dues if you want to travel that road. There is an entire world of difference between reloading at Carthage every year and being a D1 coach at all… from assistant to Coordinator to Head Coach. The only similarities are the titles and what happens between a kickoff and 0:00. Everything else is a different world. Coach Surratt knows that very well. Make no mistake, Carthage is a full on “program” already, that looks and runs a lot like a college team. They understand player development, and they do a great job molding the talent they have to what they do. That is what makes them good every year. But in college, so many other things have to go right to even have the time to build that kind of success. It’s like a really good builder going from custom brick homes to sky scrapers. They are not even the same species as far as jobs go. Coach Surratt has long since earned the right to jump to the college ranks if he wanted. So there are reasons he is still where he is. He knows those reasons, and he doesn’t owe anybody any explanations, no matter what he does in his career. I personally just appreciate that he is continually raising the bar and being who he is where he is. The truth is, iron sharpens iron. The Yankees NEED the Red Sox. The Aggies NEED the Longhorns. The Celtics NEED the Lakers. And Carthage being Carthage makes our kids better, on and off the field. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Allheartnoquit said:

Hamshire scored 14 I garantee you all China scores atleast 28 and I am saying a defense score will be the game changer 

 

35-31 CS

I’ll take the under on that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Allheartnoquit said:

Hamshire scored 14 I garantee you all China scores atleast 28 and I am saying a defense score will be the game changer 

 

35-31 CS

Hamshire's second TD was against the 2's...all 11 of the players on the field were backups.

HF had 159 yards passing...61 yards on the first touchdown.  They had 11 yards rushing...ELEVEN.  

Come on man...do a little looking before you say something like that.

 

Robinson scored 21 on CS, so Carthage will score 50.....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Hamshire's second TD was against the 2's...all 11 of the players on the field were backups.

HF had 159 yards passing...61 yards on the first touchdown.  They had 11 yards rushing...ELEVEN.  

Come on man...do a little looking before you say something like that.

 

Robinson scored 21 on CS, so Carthage will score 50.....

lets bet since you so 100%

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Hamshire's second TD was against the 2's...all 11 of the players on the field were backups.

HF had 159 yards passing...61 yards on the first touchdown.  They had 11 yards rushing...ELEVEN.  

Come on man...do a little looking before you say something like that.

 

Robinson scored 21 on CS, so Carthage will score 50.....

I mean, I hear what you’re saying, but along the same lines … Robinson’s points and yards came in garbage time when CS’s starters were out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Allheartnoquit said:

Hamshire scored 14 I garantee you all China scores atleast 28 and I am saying a defense score will be the game changer 

 

35-31 CS

That just shows me all you do is look at scores. 7 against the 2nd unit.  
 

It could be a good game. But I believe only if Carthage turns the ball over multiple times. If they don’t, they cruise like last year. This defense is not going to allow 28

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I mean, I hear what you’re saying, but along the same lines … Robinson’s points and yards came in garbage time when CS’s starters were out.

That was the actual point of my post.  It was sarcasm based on his prediction.  Robinson scored 7 in the 2nd quarter, 7 in the 3rd, and 7 in the 4th.  I was pretty sure 7-14 came against the second unit, just like half of HF.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Allheartnoquit said:

Hamshire scored 14 I garantee you all China scores atleast 28 and I am saying a defense score will be the game changer 

 

35-31 CS

Hamshire scored 7 on our starters and 7 on our backups long after the outcome was decided. 
 

We shall see! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...