Texas High 11-0 vs Port Neches-Grove 8-4, Friday 6:00, Natchitoches LA

bordertown

Texas High v PNG  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins

• Texas High
    • PNG

1 hour ago, THSfanatic said:

lol    I remember that fondly.  Highland Park was PO'd.   We won coin toss and they kept claiming no East Texas venues had the capacity to handle their crowd.  So we took them to Independence Stadium.  They were not amused.  😄

If I remember correctly, Texas High won that game in a blowout right?

5 hours ago, Lions70 said:

Technically you can if they agree . Normally rare but Mainly border cities. 

Didn’t Texas High play Highland Park at Independence Stadium in Shreveport several years ago? If I remember right HP wouldn’t agree to Rose and was trying to bully TH into playing in the metroplex. TH made them flip and they went to Shreveport. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Didn’t Texas High play Highland Park at Independence Stadium in Shreveport several years ago? If I remember right HP wouldn’t agree to Rose and was trying to bully TH into playing in the metroplex. TH made them flip and they went to Shreveport. 

Texas High and Highland Park matched up several times in first round playoff games.   The negotiations between Barry Norton and Randy Allen turned out to be as much fun as the games.   Norton was adamant that Tyler - Rose was the only reasonable neutral for the two teams.  Allen tried to convince Norton that SMU was an appropriate neutral.   Norton wouldn't agree.   They agreed to flip between HP's chosen neutral (SMU) and Texas High's chosen neutral.   Allen assumed that Norton's chosen neutral would be TMF Rose, but Norton said that Rose would only be the "agreed neutral" for the two teams.   If it was going to be a flip, then Texas High's neutral was Independence Stadium in Shreveport (after giving consideration to Eddie Robinson Stadium in Grambling, La.).   Texas High won the flip that year and went on to pretty easy win in Shreveport.  

51 minutes ago, bordertown said:

HP was lucky Norton did not designate one of the stadiums in Arkadelphia as a neutral site. Is about the same distance as Shreveport. Can you image the uproar that would have caused? HP driving through Texarkana to get to the game.

Can you imagine the HP fans melting down at the thought of having to go to Arkansas to play? They probably thought they needed passports to go to Louisiana. 

• LOL! 3

23 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

lol    I remember that fondly.  Highland Park was PO'd.   We won coin toss and they kept claiming no East Texas venues had the capacity to handle their crowd.  So we took them to Independence Stadium.  They were not amused.  😄

The rest of us thought it was pretty funny!! Making them go that far and then blowing them out!!

PNG oline will be bigger than most teams    t high has seen qb is accurate but looks to struggle some what when pressure is on him. definitely not afraid to throw it             50 +times if they have to.The wrs they have don’t drop the ball but it looks like as far as speed outside t high will be at least be able to match . png defense has Given up 40 + points 5 times . 49 to Texas city only a couple weeks ago. teams match up differently but I think t high will be able to score points. If offense can keep drives alive I think they will be ok. Defense is good enough to get stops . 

• Like 2

I haven't been there in a couple of years, but Turpin Stadium is a bigger stadium...so there should be plenty of seats (about 16,000).  They get get 17K+ with the grass areas round.

The turf is fairly new based on what I've seen on highlights of their game.....

BUTTTT.... IMHO... unless something has changed in the last 3-4 years.....the place is a dump.  SFA's stadium is 1000Xs better.

Home and visitors side.

That upper deck on the home side...is a STEEP angle with no rails.  It's a little disconcerting.  Granted...I had partaken of a few drinks prior...but that's neither here nor there.  It was like climbing Mt. Kilimanjaru.  Trust.

Good luck Tigers.  Wish I could make it...but I have a prior engagement in Paris that day.  The sole positive I can come up with our loss yesterday.  Had we won... and played on Saturday...it was going to be WWIII at the Mavchamp house over Friend's Wedding Vs. Maverick Playoff game.  Guess I dodged a bullet.  Literally.  

turpin 2.jpeg

turpin3.jpeg

5 hours ago, RogerDorn said:

PNG oline will be bigger than most teams    t high has seen qb is accurate but looks to struggle some what when pressure is on him. definitely not afraid to throw it             50 +times if they have to.The wrs they have don’t drop the ball but it looks like as far as speed outside t high will be at least be able to match . png defense has Given up 40 + points 5 times . 49 to Texas city only a couple weeks ago. teams match up differently but I think t high will be able to score points. If offense can keep drives alive I think they will be ok. Defense is good enough to get stops . 

TH got a dream of a matchup with TC in the area round, TC had the worst offense of any of our playoff teams. They beat PNG in overtime though so they earned the 2nd spot. Probably going to feel much more like you’re playing our runner-up this week though. 

PNG is not good on defense and hasn’t been for years, they understand that though. Coach Faircloth chooses to use his personnel where he thinks it will be most effective. They just hope to play well enough on that side of the ball to keep them in games and try to outscore you on offense. Their o-line IS big like you alluded to and they’re not as soft as you think a team would be with those defensive statistics. 

Bottom line is that if they can repeat their performance against Montgomery then they’re going to score on TH. I was at their playoff game Friday, that offense was flat out balling on Montgomery. Question is can TH score 40+ on PNG? 

Montgomery only 35-21 over Nac . Idk how good they truly were. PNG will have to stay balanced imo . They are playing good at the right time who knows I think t high is where they probably wanna be rn as a team everyone healthy for probably first time vs Tc . Outside of first drive which Texas High did pick up 2 first downs before a penalty killed the drive they moved ball pretty easy. I think t high had the ball 4 times in the first half vs TC. scored twice little outside of field goal range on one drive so they went for it and didn’t get it. thought TC did pretty good job shorting game. 

51 minutes ago, cougar14 said:

TH got a dream of a matchup with TC in the area round, TC had the worst offense of any of our playoff teams. They beat PNG in overtime though so they earned the 2nd spot. Probably going to feel much more like you’re playing our runner-up this week though. 

PNG is not good on defense and hasn’t been for years, they understand that though. Coach Faircloth chooses to use his personnel where he thinks it will be most effective. They just hope to play well enough on that side of the ball to keep them in games and try to outscore you on offense. Their o-line IS big like you alluded to and they’re not as soft as you think a team would be with those defensive statistics. 

Bottom line is that if they can repeat their performance against Montgomery then they’re going to score on TH. I was at their playoff game Friday, that offense was flat out balling on Montgomery. Question is can TH score 40+ on PNG? 

a lot will clear up soon but imo I think District 11 was pretty weak , ranked this or that FBM obviously wasn’t very good going 4-0 looks a lot better than I think teams may be coming out of 12 , just my opinion. After watching both play to say Marshall would lose to TC I’d have to disagree. Marshall at least had a couple guys at wr . 91 for Marshall has probably been best dlinman yet t high has faced outside of dt Emory from mt pleasant but he was hurt a lot to the year. 

3 hours ago, cougar14 said:

You have confirmed a lot that I suspected about PNG that the talent was stacked on the offensive side of the ball. As a novice chair seat coach I have viewed two keys to this game. First, the Texas High offense has to have sustained drives to allow the defense to rest between series. The fact Montgomery’s running back had 300+ yards is a positive sign. Stewart should be able to get his yards. The Tiger passing game showed up last game, which should make this week more difficult to game plan. Second, the game will be a battle between each team’s strength - PNG’s offense and the Tiger defense. Can the front seven disrupt the timing of the passing game? Assuming PNG’s quarterback is healthy, it will be an interesting matchup in the secondary.  I don’t know how many interceptions the Tigers have, but believe it is around 20. It appears the Texas City defense was stronger than PNG and the Tigers scored 31. I don’t think the Tiger offense will need 40 to advance, just 31 again. Not predicting a winner, but think it will an entertaining game. Hopefully Tigervision.org will livestream the game verses NFHS or the group in your neck of the woods.

• Like 2

I really haven't seen any Texas High home posters making predictions or singing our praises all year and I'm sure it won't start now. I personally don't know a lot about that district except that Crosby ran us over last year and did the same to Marshall this year.  PNG obviously can score but at least on paper I like our defense to hold them to less than they regularly get.  Who knows if that will happen or not.  I learned a long time ago not to count anything out in high school football. 

Just excited to be in 3rd round and feel like we have a shot at another week.  Hopefully we can stay balanced but run effectively like we have most of the year.  Should be an exciting game.  Can't wait

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bordertown said:

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUCEMENT - Big weekend in Nachitoches with the Festival Of Lights kicking off. Expect heavy traffic and do go thinking “We will eat when we get to Nachitoches”. Plan on allowing more time than Google Maps shows and eating stadium food.

Thanks for the warning. NFHS I believe will be covering this game. Hoping some of the regular online viewers make the trip and t high has another good crowd. 

PNG is the epitome of tradition.  Great fan following, and their band will play Cherokee so much it’ll drive the opposing fans nuts.  And yes, no D.  Never had with this Coach, but buku Offense.  A little erratic this year - which PNG team shows up?  They can be awesome and borderline awful.  Still, should be a good game.  I thought they had a good chance last week, and they proved me right.  This week, I’m not sure. Sure, they could win, but Tx High appears much better than Montgomery.  Hope the good PNG shows up.  Win or lose, the game will be entertaining.  If the bad PNG shows up, folks will be bailing out at halftime.

• Like 1