5A D1 R2 Semi-Final: Longview vs Denton Ryan

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (9-3) vs Denton Ryan Raiders (11-1)  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/26/2021 at 08:00 PM

longview.pngdentonryan.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (9-3) VS DENTON RYAN RAIDERS (11-1)

DATE: Friday, November 26th, 2021
TIME: 3:00 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
DENTON RYAN BROADCAST: TexasSportsProductions.com

dentonryan.pngRAIDERS LEAD SERIES 2-0-0 dentonryan.png

The Raiders have a 1-0 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a district contest.
The Raiders have a 1-0 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The Raiders have a 2-0 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The two schools have never played at Longview.
The two schools have never played at Denton Ryan.
The Rangers have a 2-0 lead when the game is played at Mesquite Memorial Stadium.
The two schools have never played on November 26th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES:
08.28.2021 - Denton Ryan 40, Longview 7 - Ford Center at the Star
12.26.2020 - Denton Ryan 27, Longview 9 - Mesquite Memorial Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW:
Rematch. That seems to be the theme of Longview's 2021 playoff run, as for the second straight week the Lobos will meet an opponent they played in the 2020 post season. This team, it's a rematch of not only a 2020 playoff opponent but also a 2021 regular season opponent. For the 3rd time in 11 month, Longview takes on #1 ranked Denton Ryan. The Lobos and Raiders never met before last year's Boxing Day match up, but since have gotten extremely familiar with each other. And for Longview, it hasn't been pretty. The Raiders have controlled both match ups with the Lobos, rolling to two convincing victories. Last season's playoff match up proved to be the closer of the two, as the Raiders took a 13-7 halftime lead before shutting down Longview's offense in the 2nd half and rolling to a four score victory. This season, Longview led 7-6 after the first quarter before a disastrous 2nd quarter completely derailed the Lobos in the season opener in a 40-7 loss. The 33-point loss to open the season is tied for the 3rd worst opening season loss in Longview history. The two teams took massively different paths to reach this point of the season. For Denton Ryan, it's the same as it's been the last couple of seasons, however an early season 14-7 loss to cross town rival Denton Guyer ended a long winning streak for the Raiders. Since though, it's been a 10-game winning streak again for the Raiders. Ryan really was only tested once all season, in a 7-6 win over Frisco Lone Star. The Rangers, in that game, had the ball inside the 15 as time was running out before the Raiders recovered a fumble to win the district championship. Last week, the Raiders pulled out a 28-20 victory over Magnolia West. The Raiders built up a 21-0, and 28-7 lead before the Bulldogs pulled themselves back into the game, but the Raiders were never in danger of losing the game. Longview's road has been much bumpier. Following the opening season loss, the Lobos struggled on offense all year before finding their groove in a quarterback change following the 3rd loss of the season. The 3 regular season losses is the most for Longview since 2012. Since the quarterback change, the Lobos have rolled to their solid victories, including last week's 34-14 win over #10 Lancaster. The two teams return to Mesquite Memorial Stadium, the location of last season's playoff match up. It will be Longview's 16th visit to the Mesquite Memorial, and 7th playoff meeting. The Lobos are 11-4 in the previous 15 games, and 3-3 in the previous 6 playoff games. The Lobos have started 0-3 against just two teams in their history, which is on the line tonight against Denton Ryan. The Lobos started 0-3 against Atlanta High, and also started 0-8 against Shreveport Byrd to open a series, though against Marshall the Lobos also started 0-5-1. Only two teams in Longview's history currently hold a 3 or high game lead against the Lobos, Highland Park (3) and Shreveport Byrd (8). Overall, there's only been 31 times in Longview's history that they have lost 3 or more times against a single team, and the only team that currently holds a 3 or more game winning streak over the Lobos is Shreveport Byrd. Playoff wise, Longview will go for their 75th all-time playoff victory tonight.

CLASS 5A DIVISION I REGION II AREA RESULTS:
Denton Ryan 28, Magnolia West 20
Longview 34, Lancaster 14
Frisco Wakeland 29, Highland Park 28
College Station 55, Frisco Lone Star 21

CLASS 5A DIVISION I REGION I & REGION II SEMI-FINAL GAMES:
11/26 - R4 Mansfield Summit (9-3) vs 4 Midlothian (8-4) - Gopher Bowl (Grand Prairie)
11/27 - R2 Amarillo Tascosa (9-3) vs W4 Colleyville Heritage (11-1) - Memorial Stadium (Wichita Falls)
11/26 - W5 Denton Ryan (11-1) vs R7 Longview (9-3) - Mesquite Memorial Stadium (Mesquite)
11/26 - T5 Frisco Wakeland (9-2) vs W8 College Station (12-0) - Tiger Stadium (Corsicana)

WHAT’S AT STAKE:
The winner of today’s game game will take on the winner of Frisco Wakeland vs College Station in the Class 5A Division I Region II Regional Finals/State Quarterfinals match up.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 9-3 (4-2)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (197-43 in 18 seasons) (Playoffs: 45-16)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 756-354-52 (Playoffs: 74-43-1)
Playoff Appearances: 47
Last Playoff Appearance: 2020, Class 5A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.28 - v. Denton Ryan (in Frisco) - Loss 40-7
09.03 - vs Marshall - Win 14-0
09.10 - at Tyler Legacy - Win 46-20
09.17 - vs Bryant, AR - Win 24-21
09.23 - at West Mesquite - Win 56-28
10.01 - vs Wylie East - Win 56-0
10.08 - at Highland Park - Loss 21-16
10.15 - vs Sherman - Win 56-14
10.28 - at McKinney North - Loss 37-35
11.05 - vs Tyler - Win 49-0
11.12 - Bi-District: Magnolia - Win 45-24
11.19 - Area: Lancaster - Win 34-14
11.26 - Regional: Denton Ryan

DENTON RYAN RAIDERS
Record: 11-1 (8-0)
District: 5-5A Division 1
Coach:  Dave Henigan (101-11 in 7 seasons) (Playoffs: 31-6)
First Year of Football: 1994
All-Time Record: 266-95-0 (Playoffs: 67-17-0)
Playoff Appearances: 21
Last Playoff Appearance: 2020, 5A Division I State Championship
State Championships (3): 2001 (4A D1), 2002 (4A D1), 2020 (5A D1)
State Championship Appearances (7): 2000 (4A D1), 2001 (4A D1), 2002 (4A D2), 2003 (4A D2), 2010 (4A D1), 2019 (5A D1), 2020 (5A D1)
SCHEDULE:
08.28 - v. Longview (in Arlington) - Win 40-7
09.03 - v. Denton Guyer - Loss 14-7
09.10 - vs Frisco Reedy - Win 28-10
09.16 - v. Denton - Win 55-28
09.23 - vs Frisco Wakeland - Win 27-3
09.30 - at Frisco Centennial - Win 37-7
10.07 - vs Lewisville The Colony - Win 42-3
10.22 - at Frisco Heritage - Win 55-14
10.29 - vs Frisco Independence - Win 41-7
11.05 - at Frisco Lone Star - Win 7-6
11.11 - Bi-District: Dallas W.T. White - [Win 49-14
11.20 - Area: Magnolia West - Win 28-20
11.26 - Regional: Longview

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: November 26th
In 1912, Longview traveled to Mineola and walked away with a 26-0 victory.
In 1936, the Lobos hosted Gladewater and defeated the Bears, 20-2, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1942, Longview defeated Gladewater 20-13 at Lobo Stadium.
In 1953, Bob Bartlett tallied twice, once on defense and once on offense, before Tony Rothrock pulled the Lobos to within a score at 19-13 in the fourth quarter. Marshall’s Harry Ford would finish the game off though with a 7 yard run in a 26-13 Marshall victory at Maverick Stadium. Four Lobo turnovers plagued Longview on the night.
In 2011, Trey Williams rushed in a 58 yard touchdown before taking a 99-yard kickoff return to open the 2nd half to the house in a 17-6 Spring DeKaney victory over Longview. A windy day hampered the Lobo offense, in a season that saw the Wildcats run all the way to a State Championship.

lobohowl2.GIF

We’ll see what happens. If we can avoid giving them scores (ie not recovering the KO and LT recovering on our 9), we have a shot imo.

Our defense has come a long way, and with Tatum/Hale and specifically Thomas leading the way, we have a shot.

• Like 1

Call it what it is...we're heavy underdogs. Deservedly so. The previous two meetings have not been close, score wise anyway.

And alot of it had to do with our mistakes but fact remains, we got throttled in the end.

So what do we need to do in order to pull off the 'upset'?

1. Win the LOS - This doesnt necessarily apply to the defensive line. In the previous two meetings, our offensive line got manhandled up front. We couldn't run the ball to save our lives and we need the run in order for everything else to flow. Now I placed this first on the list because not only will it be most important, it's also the most challenging. Ryan has a top 3 defensive front in all of 5A and 6A combined. BUT we have to find a way to win up front. And just to dive deeper into SOME of what they have in that front 7:

JR LB Anthony Hill - 5*, 30 offers, best LB in TXHSFB

SR DT Mason Davis - committed to Army

JR DE Marquice Hill - offer from Colorado (had a monster game against us Week 1, will have to watch him on both sides of the ball). 

SR DE Michael Gee - multi year all state player, probably the 2nd best player in that front 7 behind Hill. Size bias is keeping him under recruited.

Tall task, but I welcome the challenge.

2. Cut down on the penalties - 120 yards of penalties combined in the previous two meetings....you can't do that against a squad like Ryan and expect to win. To keep it short and simple, discipline is key. They already have an elite level defense, we can't help them by playing behind the sticks. We must stay on schedule with down and distance.

3. JR RB Kalib Hicks - I know we've played Miller from Legacy, and he's good. But I don't care what the recruiting rankings say, Hicks is the best RB we've seen this year...and we're about to see him again on Friday. He's up to 13 offers now and they come from SEC, Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12. Baylor offered last week. He put 140 yards, and 3 TDs on us last time around on only 9 carries. It was a day of a lot of poor tackling on our end but we absolutely cannot afford to let this dude gash us again. He opens up everything else in that offense. Now, we wont be able to hold him totally in check. Understand that he has over 100 yards on the ground in every single game this year and even multiple 200 yard games. What can I say, hes pretty damn talented. But if we make him really earn his yards like Magnolia West, Lone Star and Guyer did....the game is either much closer (West and LS) or you win (Guyer). I know they have Bailey in the slot out wide, but make no mistake, we have to prioritize slowing down the run this week.

4. Can't get complacent - Both matchups saw Longview start hot, only to implode 2nd/3rd quarters. It's the playoffs, we have to keep our foot on their necks and continue to attack and attack.

5. Special teams - this has been a bright spot for Longview all year, except Week 1 against Ryan and this past week against Lancaster. In both matchups, we gave away points because of special teams errors. Absolutely cannot happen again this year.

Those are the 5 main keys. Now, as a bonus...one thing that Longview has that we didn't have the previous two meetings, Josh Thomas. Thomas alone gives us a glimmer of hope. In the previous two matchups, we couldn't run the ball to save our lives. Make matters worse, couldn't throw it either. You just hope that Thomas is able to make a difference this time around. Even still, it's important that we win the LOS because...we're going to need Taylor Tatum to open up things for us offensively. I don't think Buddha Garrett played in that first game either.

I picked us to lose week one because I didn't think we were ready. I'm not picking this time around because I could honestly see either winning it. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Call it what it is...we're heavy underdogs. Deservedly so. The previous two meetings have not been close, score wise anyway.

And alot of it had to do with our mistakes but fact remains, we got throttled in the end.

So what do we need to do in order to pull off the 'upset'?

1. Win the LOS - This doesnt necessarily apply to the defensive line. In the previous two meetings, our offensive line got manhandled up front. We couldn't run the ball to save our lives and we need the run in order for everything else to flow. Now I placed this first on the list because not only will it be most important, it's also the most challenging. Ryan has a top 3 defensive front in all of 5A and 6A combined. BUT we have to find a way to win up front. And just to dive deeper into SOME of what they have in that front 7:

JR LB Anthony Hill - 5*, 30 offers, best LB in TXHSFB

SR DT Mason Davis - committed to Army

JR DE Marquice Hill - offer from Colorado (had a monster game against us Week 1, will have to watch him on both sides of the ball). 

SR DE Michael Gee - multi year all state player, probably the 2nd best player in that front 7 behind Hill. Size bias is keeping him under recruited.

Tall task, but I welcome the challenge.

2. Cut down on the penalties - 120 yards of penalties combined in the previous two meetings....you can't do that against a squad like Ryan and expect to win. To keep it short and simple, discipline is key. They already have an elite level defense, we can't help them by playing behind the sticks. We must stay on schedule with down and distance.

3. JR RB Kalib Hicks - I know we've played Miller from Legacy, and he's good. But I don't care what the recruiting rankings say, Hicks is the best RB we've seen this year...and we're about to see him again on Friday. He's up to 13 offers now and they come from SEC, Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12. Baylor offered last week. He put 140 yards, and 3 TDs on us last time around on only 9 carries. It was a day of a lot of poor tackling on our end but we absolutely cannot afford to let this dude gash us again. He opens up everything else in that offense. Now, we wont be able to hold him totally in check. Understand that he has over 100 yards on the ground in every single game this year and even multiple 200 yard games. What can I say, hes pretty damn talented. But if we make him really earn his yards like Magnolia West, Lone Star and Guyer did....the game is either much closer (West and LS) or you win (Guyer). I know they have Bailey in the slot out wide, but make no mistake, we have to prioritize slowing down the run this week.

4. Can't get complacent - Both matchups saw Longview start hot, only to implode 2nd/3rd quarters. It's the playoffs, we have to keep our foot on their necks and continue to attack and attack.

5. Special teams - this has been a bright spot for Longview all year, except Week 1 against Ryan and this past week against Lancaster. In both matchups, we gave away points because of special teams errors. Absolutely cannot happen again this year.

Those are the 5 main keys. Now, as a bonus...one thing that Longview has that we didn't have the previous two meetings, Josh Thomas. Thomas alone gives us a glimmer of hope. In the previous two matchups, we couldn't run the ball to save our lives. Make matters worse, couldn't throw it either. You just hope that Thomas is able to make a difference this time around. Even still, it's important that we win the LOS because...we're going to need Taylor Tatum to open up things for us offensively. I don't think Buddha Garrett played in that first game either.

I picked us to lose week one because I didn't think we were ready. I'm not picking this time around because I could honestly see either winning it. 

+1 although hicks is a great RB it’s a reason he is a three and Miller is dang near a 5 star because it’s a BIG difference between them. Lol. Miller is top 3 running back all time in east TEXAS. 

2 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

+1 although hicks is a great RB it’s a reason he is a three and Miller is dang near a 5 star because it’s a BIG difference between them. Lol. Miller is top 3 running back all time in east TEXAS. 

Billy Sims, Earl Campbell, and Adrian Peterson say hello.

If the Lobo team who rose to the occasion against Bryant shows up, then I think Longview wins this by two scores!

BUT  I think we're still just too young and a still too unfocused for a disciplined and talented program like Ryan at this point. 

I'll be pulling for a Lobo upset, but the logical part of my mind says Ryan's just too much.

Raiders win by 20+