#2 Stephenville(12-0) vs #5 Argyle(11-1) Friday @ 7 pm

regaleagle

Stephenville vs. Argyle  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/04/2021 at 01:00 AM

I really don't know what to expect in this game from either team......except that it will be a very physical game.  One team could end up winning by as many as 3 TD's, and we really don't know which one.  OR......it could come down to the last minutes of the game to be decided by either an offensive play or a defensive play.......or a field goal attempt that may be good or missed......like back in 2017 when Argyle missed a chip shot in the last minute that would have tied it up.  I don't even know if Argyle can effectively run the ball against Stephenville's D......the Eagles O-line has not been dominating the LOS like we thought they could.  This game could very well come down to turnovers and field position.  It's even possible that this game could be decided in an overtime.

You can watch all the livestreams and clips you want, but at the end of the day it won't do you much good.  This game is gonna be won by heart and desire more than anything else......that's how close I believe these two teams are in quality.  It will take the very best effort from the players of each team to get the win.......which player(s) will rise to occasion on Friday night and make the plays?    Sometimes it comes down mistakes.......which team can play cleaner?  And sometimes it comes down to one big play that eventually was the difference-maker in the game.  I hope it doesn't come down to a call from an official to decide the outcome......for either team.

Still playing football at Thanksgiving is a great thing for almost every football team(except Aledo and Carthage, LOL). Argyle plays this week in the season almost every season also......but playing NEXT week is what we call THE REAL DEAL!!  Region 2 D-1 has been a tough division, and back when Argyle was in Division 2 in 4A and in 3A before they moved the classifications up......it was a very competitive division.  This season is no different for Argyle......the Eagles will be tested by an excellent football team that has the pedigree to win a State Championship.   Whichever team prevails this Friday night might just be looking at a trip to JerryWorld later this season.  But in Region 2 you just never know.......all 4 teams left are excellent football teams.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!   

• Like 1

Just by looking at the stats of each team offensively, most fans would also agree with you.  Heck, I would agree with you.  But we also know that there are more variables than offensive stats when two quality football teams meet in the playoffs on the gridiron of glory to battle for the win.  Especially if either or both teams have an excellent defense.   Offensive yardage is one thing, but scoring TDs is what matters most.  Argyle has 66 TDs on the year vs Stephenville's 68.  Both teams most probably could have more, but the fact remains that there is not much difference in scoring totals.....even though Robinson played QB for the first five games as basically a greenhorn to the position while Stephenville was playing the same players on offense all season long.  So what about that side of the equation?  I understand your sentiment......I want some proof too.  But when you look at the whole picture, I still say Argyle has maybe a better chance for the win than Stephenville.  There are some other factors that Stephenville has not been able to overcome against Argyle in previous meetings......and the change in QB's might cause some consternation also.  Besides......I'm fairly certain Argyle has the better defense overall.  And most probably the best kicking game.

Strength of schedule is most likely not at issue in this game, as both teams played a very strong schedule to get here.  The fact is that this season's Argyle offense is NOT and should NOT be compared to last season's team.  The skill players and other personnel have changed quite a bit, yet Argyle has found ways to keep winning both offensively and defensively.  And really.....except for the dropped loss to Melissa.....a powerful offensive juggernaut that was held to season lows against Argyle in that game......Argyle has pretty much been in control of the outcome in every game.

Because I have great respect for the Stephenville football program AND it's great team this season, and even in seasons past......I'm just like most fans viewing this game as a literal toss-up.  Imo......it is difficult to give the edge to either team.  Heck, I don't even know what the line is for this game......or what Calpreps has it as.  Can somebody check that for us?

1 hour ago, Footballalltheway said:

This is Argyle’s first chance to prove against a legitimate opponent their offensive changes since getting beat by Melissa are substantial enough to win the region.  SV has handled everyone they faced up to this point.  Even with offensive changes I just don’t think offensively Argyle are that dynamic.  Just feel like SV is going to be able to put up a few more points in this one.  I think whoever wins this game will win the region.  Game of the year in 4A-D1 to this point.  

BTW.......I'm of the opinion that Paris was a very legitimate opponent, and so was Kaufman.  And certainly Kennedale looked every bit the part last week in that game.  Maybe not as legit as Stephenville appears to be......but legit enough to be tested by a very good football team that were all playoff contenders in the Area Round.

9 minutes ago, Footballalltheway said:

Defense wins championships.  Has always been true and will always be true.  Going back to the Melissa game I actually think Argyle had the better defense but the Argyle offense was atrocious.  Part of that was the Melissa D but my gut tells me the majority of that was Argyle just had not found their offensive legs yet.  Gonna be a great game.  

I watched both on max preps, it looks like a dang toss up. I think Argyle definitely played the toughest schedule, but SV had no problem with the teams they played. 
I know one thing for sure the spectators on both sides are going to be standing up a lot. 
God Bless both

Well......all I have left for Turkey Day Dinner is the turkey.  I've made the dressing, the sweet potato cassarole, the deviled eggs, the fruit salad, and the spiral cut ham just needs about an hour to warm up and for the sauce to be put together and poured over it.  I still have the mashed potatoes to do tomorrow, the stuffed celery takes about 10 min., and the dinner rolls are last while making the turkey giblet gravy.  Oh.....and I already made the green bean cassarole tonight also.  The cranberry sauce is already in the fridge, and the pies are too.  I prefer pecan and lemon meringue the most.  Still have to put everything in the oven tomorrow in stages, but all the prep work is done.  Made some chile con queso to munch on with the relish tray and deviled eggs until it's all ready......I'm figuring about 2 pm or thereabouts.  By that time there should be game or two to watch.  I made some crispy tacos for us the other night and saved a bunch of the leftover seasoned taco meat to throw into the queso.  I also make it with the Jimmy Dean Sage sausage......we tasted it already and it's definitely a winner!  We like it with some La Costena pickled jalapenos diced up and thrown in too for the extra flavor.  I even pour some the pickled jalapeno juice into the cheese dip......everybody raves over my queso.  Saute the onions when the Jimmy Dean is browning, but don't burn either.  Empty the rotel with the green chiles, add some salt, comino, and garlic(minced or powder), and that's your base. You can always add milk or water to control the consistency.......the jalapeno juice helps. I add the jalapenos only after the velveeta is melted.....they keep their flavor better.  So that's the recipe.......don't forget the comino(cumin) and garlic, and certainly not the onions.  The Jimmy Dean Sage is the only way to go, for sure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Well......all I have left for Turkey Day Dinner is the turkey.  I've made the dressing, the sweet potato cassarole, the deviled eggs, the fruit salad, and the spiral cut ham just needs about an hour to warm up and for the sauce to be put together and poured over it.  I still have the mashed potatoes to do tomorrow, the stuffed celery takes about 10 min., and the dinner rolls are last while making the turkey giblet gravy.  Oh.....and I already made the green bean cassarole tonight also.  The cranberry sauce is already in the fridge, and the pies are too.  I prefer pecan and lemon meringue the most.  Still have to put everything in the oven tomorrow in stages, but all the prep work is done.  Made some chile con queso to munch on with the relish tray and deviled eggs until it's all ready......I'm figuring about 2 pm or thereabouts.  By that time there should be game or two to watch.  I made some crispy tacos for us the other night and saved a bunch of the leftover seasoned taco meat to throw into the queso.  I also make it with the Jimmy Dean Sage sausage......we tasted it already and it's definitely a winner!  We like it with some La Costena pickled jalapenos diced up and thrown in too for the extra flavor.  I even pour some the pickled jalapeno juice into the cheese dip......everybody raves over my queso.  Saute the onions when the Jimmy Dean is browning, but don't burn either.  Empty the rotel with the green chiles, add some salt, comino, and garlic(minced or powder), and that's your base. You can always add milk or water to control the consistency.......the jalapeno juice helps. I add the jalapenos only after the velveeta is melted.....they keep their flavor better.  So that's the recipe.......don't forget the comino(cumin) and garlic, and certainly not the onions.  The Jimmy Dean Sage is the only way to go, for sure.

God Bless you Regaleagle and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. 

8 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

God Bless you Regaleagle and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. 

Same to you, C&C......and to everybody out there on Smoaky.  We should feel blessed by God Almighty here in Texas for sure......this season has been practically Covid Rules void.......the way it should be and should have been last season.  Natural Immunity is the best safeguard against corona viruses......proven as a fact thru science decades ago!  My prayers are with all of the children in the USA today that are FORCED by those that continue to ignore the science to be jabbed by harmful synthetic concoctions that are having adverse effects and even causing deaths to a very large percentage of those that got jabbed. Yet those that didn't are quite healthy......proof in the pudding.  Corona viruses are a type of flu that is rarely dangerous and deadly......natural immunity and keeping your body's immune system in an excellent state is the basis for prevention.  Most people, and certainly the least of all children and young adults to age 40....were never in harm's way in the first place.  Thanks to football, more people have had their eyes opened this year.            

GO EAGLES!!!

• Like 2

hope u and ur kids had a good TG ... good luck to our brethren the Eagles ... like most things at this level, it's turnovers and who makes the kicking game mistake ... and while it may be hard to understand if you never watched the situation unfold from the sidelines, but what often makes a difference late is when one group begins to focus and be satisfied on what they HAVE accomplished over the course of a season rather than what is left to be accomplished; you can learn a lot about the complexities of a young mind standing on a sideline and looking into their eyes - you can tell for sure how they're dealing with things taking place between the hashes ... the problem with being in the playoffs has always been that there's only one team left that's really happy.  Stay safe.  As for this old septuagenarian dad, just waiting on realignment and hopes for being around for another year of Friday nights in the fall.

Amen Brother.......I'm not too far behind you. I turned a very young 67 in October.....don't look or feel it, but that's now my "official" number.  God continues to look after me and give me discernment in these trying times......I'm trying to impart some of this wisdom onto my single 30-something son now.

It's GAMEDAY for most of the playoff teams left today in Texas.......both Argyle and Stephenville have their big meeting tonight and are no exceptions.  It's been a very successful football season for both schools......the coaches, players, bands, cheer and drill teams, and the fans of each team.  Tonight one team will advance to the Regional Final and the other will shake hands and call it a season.  Good luck to both squads tonight......Texas High School football under the Friday Night Lights at its finest, for sure.  I'm very excited to have yet another opportunity to see another great game involving the Argyle Eagles football team.......there have been so many over the years.  This year's team has definitely faced some adversities and learned how to overcome them.......I hope those lessons are applied in tonight's game to get them the big Win.  They have learned lessons from this football season that will serve as a guide to them for the rest of their lives.  I love Texas High School football more than any other spectator sport.

GO EAGLES!!!

Regaleagle, I wish you and your Argyle Eagles the best today!  I know if the Eagles show up with their mind on the game for 4 quarters, they will come out the winners without a doubt.  The Eagles will pull away in the 2nd half.  Argyle is the better team.

For those that may be interested.......this game will be Livestreamed by NFHS on their subscription network tonight.  Argyle and Stephenville have no rights to the Livestream tonight......so for about $11 monthly(you can cancel your subscription before the month is up) basically a one-time payment.......you can not only watch this game, but be able to see many other games thru the playoffs until the State Championships get here.  You can watch them LIVE or watch them ON DEMAND(which means taped for later viewing).  I try to watch at least 2 LIVE games at the same time......going back and forth on the same computer. If you have two laptops.......you may be able to set up 2 separate games to watch using the same email address.......I don't think that would be disrupted by the site rules. I just use my one laptop and go back and forth between games.  Then if you have a subscription to TEXAN LIVE also.......you can watch games on that site and NFHS also.  Both sites carry different games and have different member schools.  I have subscribed my $11 to both recently so that I can watch as many playoff games as interests me......some ON DEMAND only.  It's really a small price to pay to watch these playoff games each week......however many  you choose to see.

13 minutes ago, CH76 said:

Regaleagle, I wish you and your Argyle Eagles the best today!  I know if the Eagles show up with their mind on the game for 4 quarters, they will come out the winners without a doubt.  The Eagles will pull away in the 2nd half.  Argyle is the better team.

That wishful hope is still to be determined in tonight's game......a game worth the watch for sure!  I will give Stephenville their props.....they will most certainly be a very formidable opponent for the Argyle Eagles.  Most football prognosticators have this game as virtually EVEN......a literal toss-up.  Anything can happen tonight to sway the momentum and ultimately the final result in the favor of either team......just depends on how things go.  I do think both teams match up very closely with each other, so it should be a very closely contested game.  Thanks for your support.......I was rooting for the Wildcats all season long when we were not playing against them.  You are a Paris Wildcat fan......are you not?

38 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

That wishful hope is still to be determined in tonight's game......a game worth the watch for sure!  I will give Stephenville their props.....they will most certainly be a very formidable opponent for the Argyle Eagles.  Most football prognosticators have this game as virtually EVEN......a literal toss-up.  Anything can happen tonight to sway the momentum and ultimately the final result in the favor of either team......just depends on how things go.  I do think both teams match up very closely with each other, so it should be a very closely contested game.  Thanks for your support.......I was rooting for the Wildcats all season long when we were not playing against them.  You are a Paris Wildcat fan......are you not?

Could be.  I have several favorite teams across the state (high school and college).  I just think Stephenville is overrated.