#2 Stephenville(12-0) vs #5 Argyle(11-1) Friday @ 7 pm

regaleagle

Stephenville vs. Argyle  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/04/2021 at 01:00 AM

Argyle drives it to the 3 yd line.....then Argyle reaches over the goal line for the  score and they call it a fumble and touchback.  I'm not sure about that.....the ball crossed the goal line before it was knocked out. Have to see a replay of that. It might have even hit the ground and then bounced loose.  But definitely crossed the plane before it was lost. By the rules.....that's a touchdown, not a touchback or fumble.....the td occurred first.

They tried a hook and ladder reverse on the final play of the half, but the toss was fumbled before the reverse man could come around.  It was an interesting concept play.......something added to the hook and ladder to reverse the direction on a pitch then handoff to another guy coming back.

Argyle 14

Stephenville 7

Halftime

Argyle has controlled the time of possession and the offensive plays.  Bad call IMO at the goal line saved Stephenville from being down by 14.  They did not make the play, the Argyle RB was simply trying on 3rd down to cross the plane of the goal line with the ball.....which he did.  Then the ball came loose and they ruled it a touchback when Stephenville recovered it as it bounced. He was definitely across the goal line with the ball in his possession......that is a TD by any measure.

Stephenville will get the kickoff to start the 2nd half.  Stephenville is definitely very dangerous with the passing game. Lambert can get it out of his hand quickly and on target, and he has utilized 3 excellent receivers in the first half. Most of Stephenville's offense has come by way of the pass.......but some runs on the ground.  

The Argyle secondary cannot keep up with the Stephenville receivers on their routes......too much room and good route running.  I think if the Argyle defense cannot put more pressure on Lambert,  Stephenville will find ways to score and hit big plays when they really need it.  Copeland has played better than Lambert so far, but the D-line for Stephenville is impressive and those LB's are excellent.

Well that's it for Argyle in Class 4A......they should have won this game.  Stephenville got some calls and breaks.....just enough to make their last drive stay alive.  The Yellowjackets played tough and converted on a couple of plays that made the difference.  Argyle was their own worst enemy tonight.  Jett Copeland played as well as any QB could have against this tough Stephenville D, but just too many mistakes by Argyle on crucial plays on defense.  It was a smashmouth physical game the whole way.......and somebody was gonna be disappointed. Tonight is was Argyle's turn.  I guess you make your own breaks......or win clearly.  It was too close for that.....so one call here or there, one play here or there.....and that really became the difference.  

Congrats to the Stephenville Yellowjackets on their big win for their program.....I know their fans there are ecstatic and rightly so.  For Argyle is was a very tough loss, but they had their chances and just was not able to put the hammer down when they could have and should have. You cannot leave the game to become a close margin.....too many things can happen.  Great season anyway for the Eagles as they say goodbye to 4A.  Looks like all the players on the field had great respect for each other in a very cleanly played contest of wills.  

Stephenville  21

Argyle    17

Final

Looks like Stephenville will advance to play Melissa next week.  I'll be rooting for our district mates the Melissa Cardinals in that one.  They have the offense and the defense this season to go all the way.  I think they actually have a better chance if they get to JerryWorld than any other Region 2 team.....I like their chances as long as Fennegan plays.

I haven't eaten since halftime of the Wimberley/Cuero tilt early today.  I guess I'll traipse on over to the fridge and see what grabs me.  More football tomorrow and next week......Argyle has struggled on offense this season and it finally jumped up to bite them in a very well-played close game.  I'm not so sure Stephenville will be able to handle Melissa's offense, but they are very good defensively and have Lambert at QB with lots of playmakers around him.  I guess Argyle was really good......so Stephenville must be pretty darn salty too.  I thought this game was a toss-up and could go either way, and it was just like that.