Shouldn't the State Championship Be Played in Austin?

micotrav

Sate Championship at the State Capital  

116 members have voted

1. 1. State Championship at the State Capital

• Yes, play the championship game in Austin-State Capital of Texas
    • No, continue to play the championship at AT&T Stadium

It's been a long time since they actually played the Texas High School Football Championships in the capital of Texas...Austin.   I know how awesome it is to have the games played at the home of the Dallas Cowboys in a controlled environment and folks don't have to worry about rain, cold, heat, lightning, snow, etc., but it seems we are taking the elements out of the game.  I'm old school, you could tell, but the game was designed to be played outside and in the weather.  The game is evolving so much from the beginning of the invention of the game.  Equipment has changed and that is good, because the athletes are much stronger, faster and conditioned. But then we took the actual playing field to make it artificial, added amenities such as huge stadiums with comfortable seats, extremely large and expensive scoreboards, suites to sell or rent to make the game more profitable, some schools with special buses for student/athletes/band/cheer, etc., and there are so many other changes being made for kids that now can be lured to schools that not only give them a scholarship, but a chance to be paid for their approval of sponsored sporting goods or for that matter, any number of things that children at a very young middle school age are now being recruited.  Over the years, it has been slowly evolving, but now we celebrate a championship season by playing in a multi-billion dollar stadium.  Have we already crossed over into a threshold of no return and is this ruining the game as we once knew it? But then again, I'm old school and before long the "old school" folks will be gone and there will be very little resemblance to the game that once was the greatest game ever played. 

• Thumbs Down 1

I understand the gist of your post, but I don’t really think most of these changes are bad things. Turf fields are easier to maintain. Schools can’t afford to take care of grass fields the way they need to be cared for especially in rainy seasons.

Austin is a great town, but it’s not like it’s the football capital of Texas. AT&T Stadium is an awesome venue for the games. Hard to match it.  Don’t have a problem playing in the weather, but if you’re gonna play three or four games in a day a lightning delay would really kill things. And a natural field would be destroyed. It’s more fun to sit around and watch all the games in a single location.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If they had a dome in Austin… I think it would be a conversation worth having. 

But they don’t.

Sitting out in the elements for 3 games a day for 3-4 days  in December doesn’t sound all that appealing. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

No, the venue and all of its pros greatly outweigh not playing the title games in Austin.

I get wanting to play the championship games in the state capital, but the way they’ve gotten this thing running so smoothly now at AT&T I wouldn’t change it.

Also, I understand playing in the elements, but I like a running team not having a built in advantage over a team who passes well or a lot when the wind is gusting outside. When the game is indoors it’s 100% an even playing field, no questions. 
Our Carthage Bulldogs have opposing teams/coaches periodically refuse to play at The Star or AT&T in earlier rounds of the playoffs just hoping the weather will negatively effect the Bulldog offense. 

• Like 1

This thread started by guy who gets on here advertising his stadium for playoff games because of all the extra stuff they have and do for the teams………and now he wants the state championship games to not have the best facilities available……funny stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Were the football state games ever played in Austin? I thought they were always just at a nice neutral stadium. Now when kids getting to play on tv and how cool that is for them greatly outweighs playing the games outside. And when you play at ATT you feel like you are playing for the Dallas Cowboys. Something about it is just electric. And you have a chance to play in front of anywhere between 10-50 or 60,000 people depending on what night you play. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

This thread started by guy who gets on here advertising his stadium for playoff games because of all the extra stuff they have and do for the teams………and now he wants the state championship games to not have the best facilities available……funny stuff. 

I get on here because we like to host playoff games, and I've been doing that on here since 2009.  We do great things for kids and we want to keep doing great things for kids. Not advertising at all.   But I'm just seeing the game move in another direction that I'm not too fond of.  It is getting to the point that we don't see a football game on real grass anymore. But that is the direction that everyone is going, so we follow the leader. And we will continue to give everything we can to make sure kids are safe, are provided the best resources and make their fans and parents comfortable.  Other than that, I really like how football use to be played...that's all. 

• Like 3
  • Roll Eyes 1

7 minutes ago, centex1 said:

Were the football state games ever played in Austin? I thought they were always just at a nice neutral stadium. Now when kids getting to play on tv and how cool that is for them greatly outweighs playing the games outside. And when you play at ATT you feel like you are playing for the Dallas Cowboys. Something about it is just electric. And you have a chance to play in front of anywhere between 10-50 or 60,000 people depending on what night you play. 

They tried it for the larger schools at one time.  Then there was another time, before AT&T, that the UIL was looking into moving the site from one location to another. This question about holding it in the State Capital is not the first time, but since AT&T, this idea has gone away.  And I don't blame them, I just like football played like it use to be played.  I would keep the equipment the same, just play the game on grass outside. 

And yes, there have been other sports played in the State Capital as a symbol of State pride.  Volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball, golf, track and football have all had their championships decided in Austin at one time or another. Maybe we need a "Capital City Dome" that is equivalent to "Jerry World" with all of the amenities that can host all high school sports within one complex.  Austin in due a professional team in Basketball, Baseball and Football anyway. 

• Thumbs Down 1

8 hours ago, JETT said:

Wouldn't mind it being at NRG every other year or something like that.... 

They tried that about six years ago. NRG and the city of Houston fumbled the ball big time. I don’t remember anyone who attended, fans, players or coaches, not saying “We need it to go back to AT&T.” 

• Like 2