Shouldn't the State Championship Be Played in Austin?

micotrav

Sate Championship at the State Capital  

116 members have voted

1. 1. State Championship at the State Capital

• Yes, play the championship game in Austin-State Capital of Texas
    • No, continue to play the championship at AT&T Stadium

I currently live in Austin and the obvious answer is NO!!! Traffic is horrendous!! (yes, I know there is congestion in Dallas and Houston but you've seen nothing unless you have tried to get through the city on I-35 at any point during the day). Hotel availability is awful because there is ALWAYS some musical event going on and Memorial Stadium on the UT campus is a nice venue but can't come close to the atmosphere at AT&T!! There is more than one reason why the UIL moved the State Basketball Championships out of Austin!! If Basketball doesn't work here then no way the Football finals would work!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

They tried that about six years ago. NRG and the city of Houston fumbled the ball big time. I don’t remember anyone who attended, fans, players or coaches, not saying “We need it to go back to AT&T.” 

The NRG experiment was pretty bad from the food on down the line ...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

The NRG experiment was pretty bad from the food on down the line ...

I think the other issue with NRG is that Houston is not close to centrally located. I know Dallas isn’t exactly middle of Texas, but Houston is so far from the panhandle and west Texas teams.

1 minute ago, JBizzle said:

I think the other issue with NRG is that Houston is not close to centrally located. I know Dallas isn’t exactly middle of Texas, but Houston is so far from the panhandle and west Texas teams.

Wel, it is a big advantage for Dallas area teams. Almost like a home game ....

13 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Wel, it is a big advantage for Dallas area teams. Almost like a home game ....

I don’t think it’s a big advantage. They still have a long day of getting ready and getting to the stadium. They still have a bus ride. Their fans are hardly gonna outnumber the other team. They may not have a hotel stay, that’s probably the only difference.

Didnt seem to help Celina or Kennedale when Carthage played em…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, threejs said:

I'm "old school" and watched Earl Campbell and JT win state in 1973 inside the "comfy" confines of the Astrodome, obviously on astroturf.

This is the stadium that started all of the artificial turf, thus the name from the "Astro"dome comes the word "Astro"turf.  Earl was "old school" rock 'em, slobber knockin' on the old mud, blood and smell of the real grass field.  And I'm not knocking all of the conveniences brought to the game that we play today.  I think it is awesome that we can sit "inside" and watch a football game under a roof.  I also think it is incredible that the schools can have a playing field that they do not have to mow and don't have to go out every week and push a line-marker full of lime and hopefully get the lines straight. It's wonderful that we can put a picture of our school's mascot in the middle of the field and it will be there forever, or until we have to replace the field with new carpet. I love the giant scoreboards that show instant replay and can be used to inspire and generate more excitement inside the stadium.  I just miss old football, every now and then. And for which town it is played in, I guess it does not really matter.  

59 minutes ago, fromabuick8 said:

I liked it back when they would choose random stadiums to play the championships in.  I remember old Baylor Stadium and Waco ISD holding several.  Traffic around AT&T is horrible.

Yes sir, watched Sealy vs. Commerce in '93 or was it '94 down at the old Baylor stadium. 

18 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

no, Houston traffic sucks

You think Dallas traffic is better ?  I've lived in both, and I'll take Houston traffic over DFW any day of the week.  Back on topic why would anyone want it to be in Austin ?  While it is more centralized Austin still is still set up like a small college town.  I realize it's been 15 years since I went there, but I have no intention of going back there.  I think it should be played at the best facility in the state which is in Arlington.  The author of this post sounds like he'd rather have it at the Cotton Bowl or Kyle Field that is the oldest stadium in Texas according to the internet.  If I were a kid I'd want to play on the turf that professionals play on to give me the feel of one time playing there as a pro.  

2 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

You think Dallas traffic is better ?  I've lived in both, and I'll take Houston traffic over DFW any day of the week.  Back on topic why would anyone want it to be in Austin ?  While it is more centralized Austin still is still set up like a small college town.  I realize it's been 15 years since I went there, but I have no intention of going back there.  I think it should be played at the best facility in the state which is in Arlington.  The author of this post sounds like he'd rather have it at the Cotton Bowl or Kyle Field that is the oldest stadium in Texas according to the internet.  If I were a kid I'd want to play on the turf that professionals play on to give me the feel of one time playing there as a pro.  

Cotton Bowl would be good, but heck they don't even play the Cotton Bowl at the Cotton Bowl any more...LOL!

29 minutes ago, micotrav said:

Cotton Bowl would be good, but heck they don't even play the Cotton Bowl at the Cotton Bowl any more...LOL!

Then it could be rented out fairly cheap.  The still have the Red River Shoot Out.  They don't even hold the ServPro First Responders Bowl there anymore or whatever bowl it hosted after they moved the Cotton Bowl to Arlington.