Shouldn't the State Championship Be Played in Austin?

micotrav

Sate Championship at the State Capital  

116 members have voted

1. 1. State Championship at the State Capital

• Yes, play the championship game in Austin-State Capital of Texas
    • No, continue to play the championship at AT&T Stadium

On 11/24/2021 at 8:53 PM, micotrav said:

It's been a long time since they actually played the Texas High School Football Championships in the capital of Texas...Austin.   I know how awesome it is to have the games played at the home of the Dallas Cowboys in a controlled environment and folks don't have to worry about rain, cold, heat, lightning, snow, etc., but it seems we are taking the elements out of the game.  I'm old school, you could tell, but the game was designed to be played outside and in the weather.  The game is evolving so much from the beginning of the invention of the game.  Equipment has changed and that is good, because the athletes are much stronger, faster and conditioned. But then we took the actual playing field to make it artificial, added amenities such as huge stadiums with comfortable seats, extremely large and expensive scoreboards, suites to sell or rent to make the game more profitable, some schools with special buses for student/athletes/band/cheer, etc., and there are so many other changes being made for kids that now can be lured to schools that not only give them a scholarship, but a chance to be paid for their approval of sponsored sporting goods or for that matter, any number of things that children at a very young middle school age are now being recruited.  Over the years, it has been slowly evolving, but now we celebrate a championship season by playing in a multi-billion dollar stadium.  Have we already crossed over into a threshold of no return and is this ruining the game as we once knew it? But then again, I'm old school and before long the "old school" folks will be gone and there will be very little resemblance to the game that once was the greatest game ever played. 

A: Why? Just because Austin is the recognized capital for politics, what does that have to do with anything else? Technically, most of the the rest of the state looks at Austin as a the overt wannabe emo-hippie cousin of the family and wants very little to do with it.

B: I have talked to way more than a few fans of lower classification schools who believe the state title scheduling is unfair and like the idea of splitting championship games between Arlington, San Antonio, and Houston, so all games can be played on Friday/Saturday and those fans can have a better opportunity to see their teams play and the smaller school teams have the same rest period as larger schools and don't have to miss as much class.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 88YoePride said:

A: Why? Just because Austin is the recognized capital for politics, what does that have to do with anything else? Technically, most of the the rest of the state looks at Austin as a the overt wannabe emo-hippie cousin of the family and wants very little to do with it.

B: I have talked to way more than a few fans of lower classification schools who believe the state title scheduling is unfair and like the idea of splitting championship games between Arlington, San Antonio, and Houston, so all games can be played on Friday/Saturday and those fans can have a better opportunity to see their teams play and the smaller school teams have the same rest period as larger schools and don't have to miss as much class.

I’ve always wished the smaller classification schools could play on Friday/Saturday like the larger schools.

I’d like the teams to get the same rest, and playing on Friday/Saturday will make it way easier on their fans for travel.

If the only way to do that is to move the smaller classifications to other venues then I’m all for it.

Only thing I’d selfishly be concerned about is FSSW being able to air those games at the same time as the 4A and above classification championship games, because I want to watch the smaller classes too!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I’ve always wished the smaller classification schools could play on Friday/Saturday like the larger schools.

I’d like the teams to get the same rest, and playing on Friday/Saturday will make it way easier on their fans for travel.

If the only way to do that is to move the smaller classifications to other venues then I’m all for it.

Only thing I’d selfishly be concerned about is FSSW being able to air those games at the same time as the 4A and above classification championship games, because I want to watch the smaller classes too!

I agree, I love watching the games.... but Thursdays are hard to make

• Like 1

Play the smaller schools at the old ranger stadium or the star. 
easier for Fox to televise all of them. But keep them all in the metro plex. 
Autin is not the answer. Why would anybody want to play in front of people from California. If they moved it to Austin, I guess the announcers could say “ welcome fans to the California high school football state championships. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DOB said:

From what I've seen, I don't think they play football in Austin anymore ... Sark's just happy that LBJ ain't on their schedule.

Now that is funny right there.   Heck no to Austin.    If something bad happens in Austin they will send a counselor to correct the situation instead of the police.   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Autin is not the answer. Why would anybody want to play in front of people from California. If they moved it to Austin, I guess the announcers could say “ welcome fans to the California high school football state championships. 

I like this.  Smaller schools @ the Star, bigger at Jerry World.

4 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

I would like to see the UIL split the games up over a couple of weekends ... to eliminate the Wednesday and Thursday games ....

• Like 2

The best location to play the game is at Baylor new stadium. Waco is about as central as you can get. The problem is the stadium does not have a roof or two locker rooms each for the home and away teams. Jerry Jones is the only one who welcomed the Championship games with open arms. Originally Houston and San Antoinio did not want it. I would have no problem with them rotating the games between Jerry World, Reliant and the Alamodome. Each city brings a different vibe to the game. San Antonio would be best for the fan experience due to it being close to downtown. Houston had a once but fumbled the ball. I would be more than willing to give them another chance. Arlington simply does it better than anyone else.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 9:15 AM, cowboyandchrist said:

In my opinion the old Rangers stadium sucks as a football venue.  Seats facing the wrong way, too far from the field etc.  Last year Eastland was home team but their seats were terrible.  Our seats were better though not ideal.  Why kick small schools down to any stadium other than the best in the world.  They/we deserve that experience also and it is very comfortable for fans even if they don't have a dog in the hunt.  We go every year regardless and the experience is awesome.

• Like 1

When they split the small schools off in Mansfield the smaller schools hated it, especially when they saw the gate receipts the larger schools got from the games at AT&T Stadium...I know six-man loves being at AT&T and they'll play whatever day the UIL tells them too (they also have a week off before the title games though)

Missed classtime that championship week is basically non-existent as most schools are getting ready for Christmas break anyway and usually those days are already scheduled half days. 

Its inconvenient for the schools playing Wednesday especially, but I think the good outweighs the bad and the UIL lifing the Sunday practice rule helps for those 2A schools playing Wednesday

On 11/24/2021 at 9:13 PM, Mavchamp said:

If they had a dome in Austin… I think it would be a conversation worth having. 

But they don’t.

Sitting out in the elements for 3 games a day for 3-4 days  in December doesn’t sound all that appealing. 

If there are "elements" then it would be impossible to get those games in in that 3-4 day time frame too. 

Who is going to sign up to possibly beat their field to death. Jerry World is the perfect choice. 

• Like 1