Shouldn't the State Championship Be Played in Austin?

micotrav

Sate Championship at the State Capital  

116 members have voted

1. 1. State Championship at the State Capital

• Yes, play the championship game in Austin-State Capital of Texas
    • No, continue to play the championship at AT&T Stadium

I think they should have the games at big stadium midpoint on a weekend...I hate missing state championship games because they're on the Friday we're getting out for Christmas. That is an impossible day to take off as a school employee...now that I'm not doing college work. If it was Saturday...then, you could get there! It has made these last few SC games stink.  

If they would do away with taking 4 teams, it would shorten the weeks, which would not put state games the weekend of release. Personally I prefer the old school - Win your district advance to playoffs, everyone else sits and watches. And I know that will be unpopular. 

7 hours ago, justluvfb said:

If they would do away with taking 4 teams, it would shorten the weeks, which would not put state games the weekend of release. Personally I prefer the old school - Win your district advance to playoffs, everyone else sits and watches. And I know that will be unpopular. 

It's unpopular because it's antiquated.

A third of the teams in the state quarterfinals (27 of the 80 remaining) did not win district

• Like 3
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

It's unpopular because it's antiquated.

A third of the teams in the state quarterfinals (27 of the 80 remaining) did not win district

Yeah, how many times has the team that won the district been put out of the playoffs by a team from their district when they meet the second time?  I know the 2016 Carthage team finished 3rd in district and beat Henderson in their second meeting on the way to a state championship.  I know the 4 team thing gets a lot of teams in who have no shot, but I like the extra football!

• Love 1

The answer isn't no but HE double hockey sticks NO!!!!!!!

Austin is a terrible city and a terrible place. Austin is sadly Californianian my Texas and I can't stand this city!

There is no place better in this state to play 3-4 days of high school football the week of championship week! I do not live in Arlington bc lets face it....its not DFW its not Dallas or Fort Worth its Arlington! Anyone who has been there more than once know how to get out of the traffic quick its not bad at all compared to NRG stadium talk about a nightmare!

Jerry Jones has graciously allowed us Texas folks to use his stadium so anyone who can and is willing to take the days off to watch this awesome experience in a controlled environment! I remember the days where multiple state title games where in different locations and I hated to miss some of those games. I went to NRG (Never again)!!!!!

Best experience for fans and teams period end of story people need to stop trying to get this changed! 

• Like 3

On 11/24/2021 at 9:01 PM, JBizzle said:

I understand the gist of your post, but I don’t really think most of these changes are bad things. Turf fields are easier to maintain. Schools can’t afford to take care of grass fields the way they need to be cared for especially in rainy seasons.

Austin is a great town, but it’s not like it’s the football capital of Texas. AT&T Stadium is an awesome venue for the games. Hard to match it.  Don’t have a problem playing in the weather, but if you’re gonna play three or four games in a day a lightning delay would really kill things. And a natural field would be destroyed. It’s more fun to sit around and watch all the games in a single location.

The main complaint I have about AT&T is that nachos should not cost more than the ticket to get in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • LOL! 2

The key at AT&T if you are doing all 3 games on a budget is eat a big breakfast...get stuffed before you got to the games.....you will park and walk off the itis before you get to your seat....I think if you bring an empty water bottle they have refillable stations you can fill your water bottle up with for free...if they dont let you bring it in, buy a small drink and then just fill that cup up....you'll probably be hungry again either late in Game 2 or between Game 2 and 3...grab the Philly Cheesesteak..best bang for your buck there...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, MattStepp said:

The key at AT&T if you are doing all 3 games on a budget is eat a big breakfast...get stuffed before you got to the games.....you will park and walk off the itis before you get to your seat....I think if you bring an empty water bottle they have refillable stations you can fill your water bottle up with for free...if they dont let you bring it in, buy a small drink and then just fill that cup up....you'll probably be hungry again either late in Game 2 or between Game 2 and 3...grab the Philly Cheesesteak..best bang for your buck there...

A little white lie and say you are a smoker……Go outside “to smoke” and walk across the street to eat.  

• LOL! 1

11 hours ago, cotton84 said:

A little white lie and say you are a smoker……Go outside “to smoke” and walk across the street to eat.  

14 hours ago, MattStepp said:

I like these AT&T hacks. 😂

On 11/24/2021 at 8:53 PM, micotrav said:

It's been a long time since they actually played the Texas High School Football Championships in the capital of Texas...Austin.   I know how awesome it is to have the games played at the home of the Dallas Cowboys in a controlled environment and folks don't have to worry about rain, cold, heat, lightning, snow, etc., but it seems we are taking the elements out of the game.  I'm old school, you could tell, but the game was designed to be played outside and in the weather.  The game is evolving so much from the beginning of the invention of the game.  Equipment has changed and that is good, because the athletes are much stronger, faster and conditioned. But then we took the actual playing field to make it artificial, added amenities such as huge stadiums with comfortable seats, extremely large and expensive scoreboards, suites to sell or rent to make the game more profitable, some schools with special buses for student/athletes/band/cheer, etc., and there are so many other changes being made for kids that now can be lured to schools that not only give them a scholarship, but a chance to be paid for their approval of sponsored sporting goods or for that matter, any number of things that children at a very young middle school age are now being recruited.  Over the years, it has been slowly evolving, but now we celebrate a championship season by playing in a multi-billion dollar stadium.  Have we already crossed over into a threshold of no return and is this ruining the game as we once knew it? But then again, I'm old school and before long the "old school" folks will be gone and there will be very little resemblance to the game that once was the greatest game ever played. 

move it to Dillon, Texas

5 minutes ago, MrFleet23 said:

Folks saying no because Austin is liberal. Like Dallas, San Antonio and  Houston aren't liberal cities. Smh

Point well made, but DKR is in downtown Austin...AT&T is in Arlington.  Sure it is probably blue, but not Austin Hippie Land.

Is this about the kids enjoying a life time experience or about whether a city is blue or red? Who gives a ratz ### how you vote none of these kids vote,  damn I'm tired of politics playing a role in everything these days.... back on topic, I'd love it to be in different places... I'd also like it to be held over 2 weekends but that wouldnever work,  or declare thurs-sat TX HS playoffs holiday LMAO so we fans can attend all games.... it's much easier to attend a game on Fridays and Saturdays rather than Thursdays.... but as long as it's in Dallas I'll keep attending and enjoying the experience... no complaints from me other than pricing on food as another member posted... 

Hard to believe the season ending is upon us.... going to be a long boring off-season 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok I have the solution for all of you old school guys. I’ve made a few calls and fired off a few emails. Joaquin ISD, the City of Joaquin, and the Greater Joaquin Metroplex Chamber of Commerce have agreed to host the 2021 Texas UIL State Football Championships at Ram Stadium. We have arranged to bring in extra bleachers to accommodate the crowds, as well as installing a beer garden in the east end zone. (Still waiting on the county judge to sign off on that. Be prepared to BYOB.) When they saw that State Farm had opted out, Dean’s Hardware and Worsham’s Grocery agreed to step up as corporate sponsors. In addition, Haslam Trailer Sales and Big Jim’s Truck and Tractor are teaming up to provide a hayride shuttle to and from the Joaquin Baseball Complex to alleviate any concerns about parking. Our new “Cool Turf” playing surface should nix any worries about playing outdoors in the December heat. For all of you out of towners, the 40 rooms at the Executive Inn and Suites will probably fill up quick, so you might want to book early. In case the booster club runs out of chicken strips and Ram Sauce, be ready to visit the Ram House Cafe, Cindy’s Place, Rancho Grande, Lone Star Cafe, Whataburger, or Subway. We’ll look forward to seeing y’all!

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

On 12/1/2021 at 3:10 PM, trueblue82 said:

Ok I have the solution for all of you old school guys. I’ve made a few calls and fired off a few emails. Joaquin ISD, the City of Joaquin, and the Greater Joaquin Metroplex Chamber of Commerce have agreed to host the 2021 Texas UIL State Football Championships at Ram Stadium. We have arranged to bring in extra bleachers to accommodate the crowds, as well as installing a beer garden in the east end zone. (Still waiting on the county judge to sign off on that. Be prepared to BYOB.) When they saw that State Farm had opted out, Dean’s Hardware and Worsham’s Grocery agreed to step up as corporate sponsors. In addition, Haslam Trailer Sales and Big Jim’s Truck and Tractor are teaming up to provide a hayride shuttle to and from the Joaquin Baseball Complex to alleviate any concerns about parking. Our new “Cool Turf” playing surface should nix any worries about playing outdoors in the December heat. For all of you out of towners, the 40 rooms at the Executive Inn and Suites will probably fill up quick, so you might want to book early. In case the booster club runs out of chicken strips and Ram Sauce, be ready to visit the Ram House Cafe, Cindy’s Place, Rancho Grande, Lone Star Cafe, Whataburger, or Subway. We’ll look forward to seeing y’all!

RAM SAUCE

I would like to see the championship site moved around the state.  It doesn't seem right that Metroplex teams get a home field advantage each year.  I know there are only 3 domed stadiums in the state, but I'd prefer to see them in some sort of rotation so south Texas teams don't have to travel and stay in hotels while DFW teams can sleep in their own beds every year.  I know the fan experience is probably best in Arlington, but I think we can all agree that it should be more about what's best for the teams involved.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 8:53 PM, micotrav said:

It's been a long time since they actually played the Texas High School Football Championships in the capital of Texas...Austin.   I know how awesome it is to have the games played at the home of the Dallas Cowboys in a controlled environment and folks don't have to worry about rain, cold, heat, lightning, snow, etc., but it seems we are taking the elements out of the game.  I'm old school, you could tell, but the game was designed to be played outside and in the weather.  The game is evolving so much from the beginning of the invention of the game.  Equipment has changed and that is good, because the athletes are much stronger, faster and conditioned. But then we took the actual playing field to make it artificial, added amenities such as huge stadiums with comfortable seats, extremely large and expensive scoreboards, suites to sell or rent to make the game more profitable, some schools with special buses for student/athletes/band/cheer, etc., and there are so many other changes being made for kids that now can be lured to schools that not only give them a scholarship, but a chance to be paid for their approval of sponsored sporting goods or for that matter, any number of things that children at a very young middle school age are now being recruited.  Over the years, it has been slowly evolving, but now we celebrate a championship season by playing in a multi-billion dollar stadium.  Have we already crossed over into a threshold of no return and is this ruining the game as we once knew it? But then again, I'm old school and before long the "old school" folks will be gone and there will be very little resemblance to the game that once was the greatest game ever played. 

What's that word I'm looking for...No!

21 hours ago, neveragain said:

I would like to see the championship site moved around the state.  It doesn't seem right that Metroplex teams get a home field advantage each year.  I know there are only 3 domed stadiums in the state, but I'd prefer to see them in some sort of rotation so south Texas teams don't have to travel and stay in hotels while DFW teams can sleep in their own beds every year.  I know the fan experience is probably best in Arlington, but I think we can all agree that it should be more about what's best for the teams involved.

I’d be up for a rotation so long as the Houston and San Antonio folks can execute the event as well or even close to as well as Jerry World does.

I understand the DFW teams have a built in advantage of it basically being a home game for them.
However, if your team is good enough it shouldn’t care who you’re playing or when or where you play them.  Example, Carthage obliterated Kennedale in 2017. From the hill in Kennedale right down the road from their stadium you can easily see AT&T Stadium. Kennedale to JW is about a 15 minute drive and it had no negative consequences for the Bulldogs.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SloppyJoe said:

There's a lot of weird stuff goes on there at Austin.

18 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

Football team trying to change the song they’ve been playing forever. 

Yeah I'm sure that's what he meant by that statement.... SMH

• LOL! 1