Can anyone answer this question?

ctown81

56 minutes ago, Old49er60 said:

Can’t say that. South was overwhelmingly Christian and very pro-slavery. It was preached from pulpits. 

In the decades preceeding the Civil War several denominations split into northern (anti-slavery) and southern (pro-slavery) churchs. Why were the southern churches pro-slavery? One word...money. Slave labor was the most valuable commodity in the south and some folks...even some preachers...were willing to twist and pervert the gospel for secular reasons. Unfortunately, even today secular issues sometimes infect the church. 

11 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

I assumed you were referring to Pres Lincoln. He was a man of his time and while he personally opposed slavery he also believed that blacks were not the equal of whites. I can provide quotes backing up my assertion if you would like. By today's standards that would make him a racist. With that said...it is not really fair to judge people of the past by today's standards.

By today’s standards everyone is a racist. 

1 hour ago, ObiOne said:

I watched it. Go ahead and explain how white folks did not end slavery in America. I’ll wait

You're still not understanding the question. We're talking about where the government abolished it without protest, war etc? 

19 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

It's a bogus question, because she asks what law was changed.  Anytime any law is changed there are either letters of protests, actual protests, and in the case of slaver Civil War.  Any person of color including whites have to go through the same process.  

So you see no problem with people having to protest and go through other things to get racists laws and practices off the books? It's sad that throughout history, no one could just say "hey we're wrong about this, let's make it right." 

7 hours ago, ObiOne said:

By today’s standards everyone is a racist. 

Nah I'm pretty sure enslaving people based on skin color, breeding them like cattle, beating them and raping them would be considered racist in any other time period. Just a hunch 

4 hours ago, ctown81 said:

You're still not understanding the question. We're talking about where the government abolished it without protest, war etc? 

Wouldn’t,  by the very nature of government , the answer be no. I mean, isn’t government (at least supposed to be) the voice of the people?, therefore until the people, campaigned, protested, etc…. the status quo wouldn’t change? 
In all things, dangerous intersections, bad laws, too high taxes, slavery, and all other things government controlled, nothing really changes until noise by the people is made loud enough. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Wouldn’t,  by the very nature of government , the answer be no. I mean, isn’t government (at least supposed to be) the voice of the people?, therefore until the people, campaigned, protested, etc…. the status quo wouldn’t change? 
In all things, dangerous intersections, bad laws, too high taxes, slavery, and all other things government controlled, nothing really changes until noise by the people is made loud enough. 

I get that but racial laws should fall under a moral category

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

So you see no problem with people having to protest and go through other things to get racists laws and practices off the books? It's sad that throughout history, no one could just say "hey we're wrong about this, let's make it right." 

Let me ask you this: Do you think "alcohol checkpoint" laws are a violation of the 4th Amendment? What about "no refusal weekends"?

Our politicians in the Texas Legislature passed those laws. No one has, as of yet, said that those laws are "wrong" or "unconstitutional". I believe that they are. I think they're both 4th and possibly 5th Amendment violations.

50 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

I get that but racial laws should fall under a moral category

I get what you're saying here, but then we start getting into what may or may not be moral. And that's a whole different can of worms.

Many people have different moral compasses.

I mean, look at this politics forum. Think about how many different people think different things are moral/immoral.

1 hour ago, Monte1076 said:

I get what you're saying here, but then we start getting into what may or may not be moral. And that's a whole different can of worms.

Many people have different moral compasses.

I mean, look at this politics forum. Think about how many different people think different things are moral/immoral.

But I think that we can all agree that a lot of things that people of color had to fight for in this country goes under immoral and its honestly sad when I think about that question. I've exhausted all avenues trying to find an answer. I thought I had something with the Japanese concentration camps during World War II but they had to fight for their reparations. 

2 hours ago, ctown81 said:

So instead of trying to make things right, blacks should move? You're in a roll for sure. 

You're a poor racist human. Nobody ever enslaved you. Yes, It happened years ago and not just in the United States. Go ahead and be bitter the rest of your life and I hope you enjoy it.

1 hour ago, mellon said:

You're a poor racist human. Nobody ever enslaved you. Yes, It happened years ago and not just in the United States. Go ahead and be bitter the rest of your life and I hope you enjoy it.

I'm lost. Did I mention slavery in my reply? 

22 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

In the decades preceeding the Civil War several denominations split into northern (anti-slavery) and southern (pro-slavery) churchs. Why were the southern churches pro-slavery? One word...money. Slave labor was the most valuable commodity in the south and some folks...even some preachers...were willing to twist and pervert the gospel for secular reasons. Unfortunately, even today secular issues sometimes infect the church. 

Actually slavery is allowed in the Bible, but it was more of being an indentured servant to pay off debts.  In the case of Jacob to marry first Leah and then Rachel, but he wanted Rachel in the first place.  That is a little different however than what has been practiced across the world at some time or another.