Can anyone answer this question?

ctown81

6 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

I'm not a fan of people driving drunk, either. But you admitted yourself that no refusal weekends and checkpoints are unconstitutional. I want drunk drivers off the street, too. But that's what we get warrants for. I don't think it follows to want a "fair justice system" and at the same time say that you're basically OK with violating the Constitution as long as it keeps drunks off the street.

Moral and constitutional are different things to me, too. But they can overlap. I can find something moral that is deemed unconstitutional. And I can find something immoral that is deemed constitutional. Just like I can look at something that is both moral and Constitutional.

I think they could easily still have the check points, but not in the way that they are currently doing it.  All they would have to do is have police cars at various spots from venue exits, and if they see someone driving erratically then pull them over for cause.  However to check every driver coming from an event is where I see the problem.  I've never encountered one, but I know that they are around from videos and news stories.  They make every driver blow to check for intoxication.  I think one should have the ability to have representation if they are pulled over for drunk driving, because the penalties are so high for one.  

2 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I think they could easily still have the check points, but not in the way that they are currently doing it.  All they would have to do is have police cars at various spots from venue exits, and if they see someone driving erratically then pull them over for cause.  However to check every driver coming from an event is where I see the problem.  I've never encountered one, but I know that they are around from videos and news stories.  They make every driver blow to check for intoxication.  I think one should have the ability to have representation if they are pulled over for drunk driving, because the penalties are so high for one.  

I heard a story once of a guy who laminated a little statement, along with the 4th Amendment, and stuck it on his window when he came to these checkpoints. He actually got to go through them.

I still believe "no refusal" weekends are constitutional violations, though.

• Like 1