Pleasant Grove vs Gilmer Buckeyes: The Rematch

buckeyefandom

Quarterfinals  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

• Pleasant Grove Hawks (8-5)
    • Gilmer Buckeyes (12-1)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/04/2021 at 01:30 AM

2 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

They’re also mainly underclassmen. They’ll be a load the next couple years.

Am I wrong but the front four on D for PG are three sophomores and one freshman. They are huge but young. 
PG maybe a contender the next three years. They have gone 4 rounds deep and will gain a lot of experience and confidence for next year. I hope they challenge Gilmer, not only to help their confidence but to prepare Gilmer for their next game. Celina is the real deal. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

I think this game will be much like the last one. Watched the Quinlan game and PG offense just isn’t gonna be able to keep up 

Man, I agree. I do think PG has improved. But they were fighting tooth-and-nail against Quinlan Ford. And the Panthers are a good team, don't get me wrong. They were just a group of hard-nosed, overachieving ball players. The Panthers, however, are not Gilmer. Buckeyes just have too much speed on both sides of the ball (a lot of two-way guys, so that's obvious), and PG just won't be able to trade blows. They'll have to find a way to control the line of scrimmage and sustain drives and hope they can hit like 3-5 big plays.

Just not going to be enough. Can't find a way to talk myself into this game being closer than 28 points or so. Buckeyes roll into the semifinals like we all thought they would preseason.

I know everybody assumes Gilmer will win this game, but just ask Kilgore what  a district victory over an opponent  means in playoffs.  Consider the following:

1. Gilmer played by far it’s best game of the season against PG the first time around. It should only be expected Gilmer played by far it’s best game of the season against PG the first time around. It should only be expected they regress some. There have been a lot of mistakes the last couple of weeks.

2. PG has their starting quarterback healthy.  He will clearly make a difference for them, so they should play better.

3. Mentally, it would be awfully hard to get up for a game against a team you just beat by six touchdowns. 

I still think Gilmer will win, but they better not read their press clippings. They will have to play with the same intensity and the same focus they had the previous meeting. 

2 hours ago, CasualObserver70 said:

I know everybody assumes Gilmer will win this game, but just ask Kilgore what  a district victory over an opponent  means in playoffs.  Consider the following:

1. Gilmer played by far it’s best game of the season against PG the first time around. It should only be expected Gilmer played by far it’s best game of the season against PG the first time around. It should only be expected they regress some. There have been a lot of mistakes the last couple of weeks.

2. PG has their starting quarterback healthy.  He will clearly make a difference for them, so they should play better.

3. Mentally, it would be awfully hard to get up for a game against a team you just beat by six touchdowns. 

I still think Gilmer will win, but they better not read their press clippings. They will have to play with the same intensity and the same focus they had the previous meeting. 

I don’t think they will have a problem getting up especially with it being against PG. Also they only scored 17 against Quinlan with their QB I don’t think it will matter honestly.

Gilmer will have to dial up the secondary, and find some discipline to keep their mistakes to a minimum going forward, as for this game,  you can count on this not being the same team we faced, they have great coaching and  will show us something different, even with that, I like Gilmer by 14 plus,,, this Bux team  is similar to the 09 team, that Stump Godfrey took that team on his shoulders, and was just not going to lose,  Brandon Tennison has Stump skills,  he will have to start taking over these games, and keep the chains moving, with Stumps leadership, I think you see him do that, and that along with the secondary picking it up, is gonna make us a tough out for anyone!  Gilmer 42-17 in this one!

2 hours ago, GTownballer said:

Gilmer will have to dial up the secondary, and find some discipline to keep their mistakes to a minimum going forward, as for this game,  you can count on this not being the same team we faced, they have great coaching and  will show us something different, even with that, I like Gilmer by 14 plus,,, this Bux team  is similar to the 09 team, that Stump Godfrey took that team on his shoulders, and was just not going to lose,  Brandon Tennison has Stump skills,  he will have to start taking over these games, and keep the chains moving, with Stumps leadership, I think you see him do that, and that along with the secondary picking it up, is gonna make us a tough out for anyone!  Gilmer 42-17 in this one!

The thing is Brandon hasn’t had to use his legs at all because of all the weapons around him. Also as far as this game is concerned PG just doesn’t match up well with us at all, doesn’t make them a bad team it just a matchup nightmare for them.

• Like 1

This deep in the playoffs, everybody left standing is a threat. As the CS / Carthage game showed, it is about how one team matches up with another team. Strengths and weaknesses being hidden and exposed.  The “Little Things” like turnovers, kicking game execution and penalties are amplified. And yes, luck plays a role with 15-18 year old kids when emotions, weather and neutral field is concerned. So does fatigue, as some teams just are not used to playing a football season that is 20 weeks long!

All that said, Gilmer has actually played 4 straight games now in terms of offensive efficiency that is as good a run as they have ever had.  Ever. Only the 2006 team (only counting 1st halves, because they rarely played into the 4th Qtr) had a comparable run. And yet I think most fans here would say the Buckeyes in general have not reached anywhere near their “best football”. Scary as it sounds for any opponent, that is likely true.  But from a matchup standpoint, it is Gilmer’s defense that makes this so difficult for PG. they are a team best suited to beat the QF and Pittsburg this season. If Gilmer gets them off the field just 2-3 times in a game where PG is trying to run the ball, move the chains and control the clock to shorten the game, they are vulnerable. Facing an offense that can literally score on any play is just bad for business if you are PG if you give GILMER possessions. For PG, get behind 2 of more scores and it is check-mate. They know that. That is why they came out throwing the ball in the first game (not their strong suite) hoping to grab an early lead and then choke the air out of the ball. Hard to do when the 3 headed monster in Gilmer’s d-line front keep getting pressure on your QB.

So I’ll take Gilmer 56-21 in this one, and I refuse to think about the future because at best there are only 12 quarters left in this season. The Buckeyes have a lot of weapons, and not a lot of war to go. But when you look at the numbers carefully, these Buckeyes are doing it at a very, very high level and you get the feeling their “best” is still in front of them.

On 11/27/2021 at 10:09 PM, sumitstock said:

Didn't they get their quarterback back? I  sure that makes a big difference..not sure if it's in the run game or passing or both?

Quarterback was still wearing a cast last week. He came in after Freshman QB threw a pick that led to Quinlan's only score. So. QB ran for a 58 yard TD to tie the game at 7-7 next drive. Gilmer only has to stop Boardley and So. QB. Gilmer wins 42-21.

On 11/27/2021 at 12:03 PM, Rabbs63 said:

Since Carthage is out, I’ll take Buckeyes to win it all this year!

There is a team up in north Texas that I believe will send Gilmer to basketball season next week.Better win this one first!👍

Gilmer dominates from start to finish. Some people want to believe PG is a great program but my bet is that are done with SC appearances. They will be a gatekeeper to the final 4 a couple times and then the kids stop moving in and its dust in the wind for PG.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

Gilmer dominates from start to finish. Some people want to believe PG is a great program but my bet is that are done with SC appearances. They will be a gatekeeper to the final 4 a couple times and then the kids stop moving in and its dust in the wind for PG.

They are in the Regional Finals with a team full of Soph and Freshman who are starting and contributing.  I would think they have at least one SC appearance in the next 3 years.