Pleasant Grove vs Gilmer Buckeyes: The Rematch

buckeyefandom

Quarterfinals  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins???

• Pleasant Grove Hawks (8-5)
    • Gilmer Buckeyes (12-1)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/04/2021 at 01:30 AM

34 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

They are in the Regional Finals with a team full of Soph and Freshman who are starting and contributing.  I would think they have at least one SC appearance in the next 3 years.

Sorry I don't think they do. Pg doesn't just get better and all other teams dont. 

12 hours ago, Knuckles said:

Gilmer dominates from start to finish. Some people want to believe PG is a great program but my bet is that are done with SC appearances. They will be a gatekeeper to the final 4 a couple times and then the kids stop moving in and its dust in the wind for PG.

if they arent great then are they at least a pretty good program? not saying they're Carthage but its not like they've just been a one year wonder.

11 hours ago, Knuckles said:

Sorry I don't think they do. Pg doesn't just get better and all other teams dont. 

That's a fine point of view, IF you're grading teams on the same scale and assuming all teams are starting from the same floor, but that's just not the case. PG's program is much further along than many of their contemporaries in the region. Who else is Region II is poised to make the kind of leap needed to truly challenge the talent that PG will have in the next 2-3 years? Gilmer, of course, but that's a blue blood program, and the Region will run through them for about as long as they're playing the sport.

No doubt other teams will rise up and have a good season here and there, but the foundation and the path to at least one more SC appearance in the next 2-3 years will certainly be there for the Hawks. Outliers notwithstanding, it's likely that you'll be staring at 2-3 more years of Gilmer vs PG for the Region title.

I'd go so far as to say either PG or Gilmer wins a state title in the next 2-3 years ... Carthage on the other side of the bracket or not.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:46 PM, Sportsguru02 said:

PG just doesn’t match up well with us at all, doesn’t make them a bad team it just a matchup nightmare for them.

True words for this year, next year could/should be different

honestly, the last couple weeks Gilmer could have incredibly put a couple more TD's on each playoff team and the Buckeyes were working hard to try and not score a couple more TD's the first time against PG...

Gilmer has gotten better (yes, I assume PG has too in they're still winning)...I figure they can win as bad as they want --> unless PG has a crazy turnover lead, like 5-0 and the Tyler chapter referee crew comes over and it's like 20-0 in penalties, PG's favor.  

22-0 Gilmer at halftime. PG moved the ball down the field twice, only for the Gilmer defense to turn them over on downs both times.  Gilmer scored all 3 possessions.   

PG ground and pound strategy to shorten the game may work against them. PG gets the ball to start the 2nd half. If they don’t score on that possession….

A few quick observations:

1. This game could have been a lot closer if PG had scored on its first two positions. They ran the ball, ran clock, and move the ball down the field. But credit Gilmer‘s defense. They came up with two big stops inside the red zone. 

2. Double team Fluellen at your own risk. The last two weeks, Parker Gilow has taken advantage of teams focusing on Fluellen. Gilmer has three receivers capable of going over the top.

3. PG will be better in the coming years. A lot of their talent is still really young. But I do not think they will be a consistent threat if they cannot pass. Without at least some passing threat, good teams will just load the box against them. 
4. Gilmer on the other hand is back offensively to taking what  the defense gives. PG did a great job of stopping the running game, but Gilmer went over the top on them almost at will all night.

5. Gilmer played mistake free for most of the night. That’s great, because it shows they can. It’s also frustrating, because of the nights when they don’t. Hopefully, they have two more mistake free games in them this season. 

congratulations to Gilmer. Now go take care of business against Celina. 

47 minutes ago, CasualObserver70 said:

A few quick observations:

1. This game could have been a lot closer if PG had scored on its first two positions. They ran the ball, ran clock, and move the ball down the field. But credit Gilmer‘s defense. They came up with two big stops inside the red zone. 

2. Double team Fluellen at your own risk. The last two weeks, Parker Gilow has taken advantage of teams focusing on Fluellen. Gilmer has three receivers capable of going over the top.

3. PG will be better in the coming years. A lot of their talent is still really young. But I do not think they will be a consistent threat if they cannot pass. Without at least some passing threat, good teams will just load the box against them. 
4. Gilmer on the other hand is back offensively to taking what  the defense gives. PG did a great job of stopping the running game, but Gilmer went over the top on them almost at will all night.

5. Gilmer played mistake free for most of the night. That’s great, because it shows they can. It’s also frustrating, because of the nights when they don’t. Hopefully, they have two more mistake free games in them this season. 

congratulations to Gilmer. Now go take care of business against Celina. 

Man I think you kinda secretly dislike Gilmer. I’ve noticed you give a lil credit but then u take it away with something negative lol

11 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

That's a fine point of view, IF you're grading teams on the same scale and assuming all teams are starting from the same floor, but that's just not the case. PG's program is much further along than many of their contemporaries in the region. Who else is Region II is poised to make the kind of leap needed to truly challenge the talent that PG will have in the next 2-3 years? Gilmer, of course, but that's a blue blood program, and the Region will run through them for about as long as they're playing the sport.

No doubt other teams will rise up and have a good season here and there, but the foundation and the path to at least one more SC appearance in the next 2-3 years will certainly be there for the Hawks. Outliers notwithstanding, it's likely that you'll be staring at 2-3 more years of Gilmer vs PG for the Region title.

I'd go so far as to say either PG or Gilmer wins a state title in the next 2-3 years ... Carthage on the other side of the bracket or not.

If the Dawgs get to a state championship game, not a good idea to bet against them. 

Wasn’t Johnson an LE kid? That’s the problem in Texarkana. It’s the Wild West up there. Any kid can simply transfer anytime to any school they want. And it isn’t as simple as “changing to the spread” based on one kid. I don’t know if a hawk can exchange it’s feathers with a roadrunner and still be a hawk, but I do know PG’s entire program identity is based on power football. The success they have had is built around doing what they do. Go and watch the lower level games. Carthage and Gilmer are loaded. They develop the kids they have inside the system they have and have been consistently dominant for decades. That is not going to change anytime soon. But when PG (or LE who won a State Title not that long ago as well) see their best athletes jumping the 5 miles between each other and Texas High, I honestly don’t know how you can stake the future of your program on changing your system for one kid. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 7:37 AM, buckeyefandom said:

Wasn’t Johnson an LE kid? That’s the problem in Texarkana. It’s the Wild West up there. Any kid can simply transfer anytime to any school they want. And it isn’t as simple as “changing to the spread” based on one kid. I don’t know if a hawk can exchange it’s feathers with a roadrunner and still be a hawk, but I do know PG’s entire program identity is based on power football. The success they have had is built around doing what they do. Go and watch the lower level games. Carthage and Gilmer are loaded. They develop the kids they have inside the system they have and have been consistently dominant for decades. That is not going to change anytime soon. But when PG (or LE who won a State Title not that long ago as well) see their best athletes jumping the 5 miles between each other and Texas High, I honestly don’t know how you can stake the future of your program on changing your system for one kid. 

Yes, Johnson was a LE quarterback/defensive back and transferred to PG right after football season ended.  What I don't understand is that one of his teammates tried to transfer and the HC/AD at LE would not release him, allegedly.  The next year that same player and his brothers were taken out of LEISD and enrolled at Texas High.  They all were ineligible to play football immediately and had to wait a whole calendar year to be able to play varsity.  Why didn't Johnson have to sit out like the others did?  Some current LE football players told me last week that PG has 11 former LE players on its team with 9 of them starting.  Texas high has at least two former LE players on its varsity team and both of them were former starters for LE.  It is not the LE supporters are staking their future on one player but when you add Johnson in along with all of the others that are elsewhere and add that along with the great talent that is left (LE did make the playoffs), they a coach has the opportunity to build a program the way that it has been done at both Carthage and Gilmer.  LE has been on a serious run of football talent since 1997 at least (state champions in 1999).  PG players used to have to go to Texas High when the PG community decided to establish its own high school.  When Texas High won state in 2002 they had many PG players on their team.  Also, the PG community was 95% Caucasian except for the Wamba Community.  They played good, tough, hardnosed football back then just like they do now.  The difference now is that they have the Black players who, with their parents, have moved in to the PG community and other Black students started transferring in from the other schools.  The PG HC/AD attempted to go to a more of a wide open offense the season before their first state title I think.  It was a disaster and the coach went back to the current offense that the Hawks are running.  Ben Harmon, the state title quarterback, and Johnson are two entirely different football players.  IMHO, Johnson, with all the different things that he can do as a quarterback, is better suited to a more open and complex offensive scheme like the other schools in Texarkana run.  I doubt that Johnson will reach his fullest potential at PG but all things considered, he will do well.  PG, I don't believe, will change their offense completely to accommodate Johnson.  PG has probably lost a qb because Johnson transferred there.  They had a good qb that played against Johnson and LE as 8th graders.  I don't know what happened there but that qb is not the freshman that replaced Johnson when he got injured in the first game of the season.  I am sure that some people at PG were not delighted to see Johnson transfer in.  With Johnson and the others LE would have been the team with great potential over the next three years and not neccessarily PG.

49 minutes ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

Yes, Johnson was a LE quarterback/defensive back and transferred to PG right after football season ended.  What I don't understand is that one of his teammates tried to transfer and the HC/AD at LE would not release him, allegedly.  The next year that same player and his brothers were taken out of LEISD and enrolled at Texas High.  They all were ineligible to play football immediately and had to wait a whole calendar year to be able to play varsity.  Why didn't Johnson have to sit out like the others did?  Some current LE football players told me last week that PG has 11 former LE players on its team with 9 of them starting.  Texas high has at least two former LE players on its varsity team and both of them were former starters for LE.  It is not the LE supporters are staking their future on one player but when you add Johnson in along with all of the others that are elsewhere and add that along with the great talent that is left (LE did make the playoffs), they a coach has the opportunity to build a program the way that it has been done at both Carthage and Gilmer.  LE has been on a serious run of football talent since 1997 at least (state champions in 1999).  PG players used to have to go to Texas High when the PG community decided to establish its own high school.  When Texas High won state in 2002 they had many PG players on their team.  Also, the PG community was 95% Caucasian except for the Wamba Community.  They played good, tough, hardnosed football back then just like they do now.  The difference now is that they have the Black players who, with their parents, have moved in to the PG community and other Black students started transferring in from the other schools.  The PG HC/AD attempted to go to a more of a wide open offense the season before their first state title I think.  It was a disaster and the coach went back to the current offense that the Hawks are running.  Ben Harmon, the state title quarterback, and Johnson are two entirely different football players.  IMHO, Johnson, with all the different things that he can do as a quarterback, is better suited to a more open and complex offensive scheme like the other schools in Texarkana run.  I doubt that Johnson will reach his fullest potential at PG but all things considered, he will do well.  PG, I don't believe, will change their offense completely to accommodate Johnson.  PG has probably lost a qb because Johnson transferred there.  They had a good qb that played against Johnson and LE as 8th graders.  I don't know what happened there but that qb is not the freshman that replaced Johnson when he got injured in the first game of the season.  I am sure that some people at PG were not delighted to see Johnson transfer in.  With Johnson and the others LE would have been the team with great potential over the next three years and not neccessarily PG.

Johnson came before Christmas in the 8th grade. He played freshman football at PG; therefore, he was eligible for varsity football this year. Johnson is a great athlete. Not sure if QB is what he projects on the next level. He will get his opportunities, the ingredients should be in place at PG to run a wide open offense. 

15 hours ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

i thought the other ones that transferred to t-high did so after the school year already started? 

I could be wrong but wasnt the freshman the 3rd string QB to start the season? for some reason i was thinking there was another sophomore or a junior that came in when johnson was first hurt. 

If johnson stays at PG i could see them moving more toward the RPO, he's too good of a passer not to utilize that. of course there is also the rumor that he will transfer but the one i heard was to T-high with their QB graduating.