Carthage fans we have to do better.

ctown81

I posted this on Facebook and thought I'd share it here too. 

Carthage fans, not saying it would have made a difference but one clear advantage CS had on us was the energy of the crowd. I remember seeing our boys trying to get the crowd going and for the most parts our fans just sat there. CS built off the energy of that crowd and played great football, but watching on Ctown's side was a boring atmosphere. That's the only way to put it. Felt like a regular season game IMO. I'm sorry but this was a disgrace. Always had been to me and we missed an opportunity to help our boys. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Sadly, Gilmer fans also seem way too complacent and docile these days, as well.  Hard to keep the energy up, when teams are on cruise-control, with wins coming in long strings and loses extremely rare.  Everyone just expects their teams to keep winning, even without the loud and crazy fan support, that got them rolling in years past.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MoveTheChain said:

Sadly, Gilmer fans also seem way too complacent and docile these days, as well.  Hard to keep the energy up, when teams are on cruise-control, with wins coming in long strings and loses extremely rare.  Everyone just expects their teams to keep winning, even without the loud and crazy fan support, that got them rolling in years past.

The logic is so crazy to me though. Winning should not deprive a young man of the Friday night experience. Just like us, these young men only get this experience one time and then it's over.

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

Carthage fans, not saying it would have made a difference but one clear advantage CS had on us was the energy of the crowd. I remember seeing our boys trying to get the crowd going and for the most parts our fans just sat there. CS built off the energy of that crowd and played great football, but watching on Ctown's side was a boring atmosphere. That's the only way to put it. Felt like a regular season game IMO. I'm sorry but this was a disgrace. Always had been to me and we missed an opportunity to help our boys. 

I agree, we need go back and pull up the YouTube video of Carthage versus Celina 2008. The game was stand up and yelling by Dawg fans. We have been spoiled by winning and forget, the kids feed off our energy. 
But we can fix that next year on the very first non district game. 
Let’s Go Dawgs!!!!!!!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I agree, we need go back and pull up the YouTube video of Carthage versus Celina 2008. The game was stand up and yelling by Dawg fans. We have been spoiled by winning and forget, the kids feed off our energy. 
But we can fix that next year on the very first non district game. 
Let’s Go Dawgs!!!!!!!

Agreed! 

41 minutes ago, UnclePigg said:

Lotta fans staying home to watch game(s) now because of all the different streaming outlets. Most every game is available on TV nowadays (for better or worse)

I get that but I'm talking moreso about the fans in attendance. China Spring's fans were VERY vocal and their band actually added to their teams energy. 

This is how Celina got towards the end of our decade+ long run. The crowds started to just kinda be there, but not engaging. That was one of the marks of the end of Celina’s era of dominance. We’ve gone long enough without a title now that it’s started to come back. Nothing like the old days, but it’s better than it was from 2009-2013 or so. Not saying this is the demise of Carthage, but diminished crowds and energy is often times a harbinger of things to come.

• Like 1

I saw several Northeast Texas people, not from Carthage, at the game - guessing I saw 20-25 that I recognized……..probably a bunch more I didn’t see or didn’t know…….those folks are probably not going to be overly vocal……and it was a small crowd on the Carthage side for a 4A 3rd round game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ctown81 said:

I have always felt this way about our crowds, outside of a handful of games over all the years. Carthage crowds just don’t hardly ever get super into the games and participate in things like trying to make it loud for opposing offenses and such. Sometimes I think that’s just our crowd and not much can be done about it, but who knows. I don’t disagree with your post

• Like 1

The support at the state championship games has always been super. I have friends who make only one Bulldog game a year…yes, the one in Jerry’s World. I suspect many of you do, too.

Unfortunately, taking things for granted is human nature. As I wrote in an e-mail to some of my friends earlier today, “Spoiled? Definitely!”

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

I saw several Northeast Texas people, not from Carthage, at the game - guessing I saw 20-25 that I recognized……..probably a bunch more I didn’t see or didn’t know…….those folks are probably not going to be overly vocal……and it was a small crowd on the Carthage side for a 4A 3rd round game. 

The venue was an odd choice for me.  Not knocking the place as it was really nice, but there were so many closer places that would’ve been closer for both teams.  

3 hours ago, ctown81 said:

I too wish our fans were as vocal at the games as China Spring’s fans were last night.

The Cougar program has been growing and probably felt like they were fighting an uphill battle going into the game. Then they were having success and gained confidence they could finally get past Carthage. Not saying that in an arrogant way, saying that definitely provided a lot of extra juice for their fans and team. 
Also, when you’ve not won a lot of state championships I mean, it’s just you’re so lathered up you almost can’t help, but to be loud, hanging on every play.

I’m not saying us Bulldog fans should just continue to be quiet. I too feel we need to wake up and support our players as fervently as humanly possible. 

Go Dawgs!

• Like 1

I have no idea if Gilmer or Carthage fans were too quiet and complacent…. But winning so much creates expectations that aren’t fair to kids who had nothing to do with past successes. True story, walking out of the state championship game that Gilmer lost to that Wing-T team, two Gilmer fans were talking trash about Jeff Traylor, about how he lost the game about how they need to really think about his coaching ability. Seriously. This is not an indictment of all Gilmer fans, they have GREAT fans just like Carthage…, these were just a couple of yoohhoos, but that’s what happens when you win so much. I tell you, we had success in Jacksonville in the 1990s—no state championships but several nice runs— and we had that, too. Would LOVE to get back to that…
Just this week, Nick Saban went off on the Alabama fans for just such a thing.

• Like 4

I promise you that I don't act like I am in church when I am at the game. The kids feed off the noise and deserve for the fans to be loud and proud. The China Spring student section and their band did awesome, but their was plenty of noise in the sections where I was sitting. I will never forget the 2016 China Spring/Carthage game, the whole crowd was barking and being extremely loud!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CDAWG68 said:

I promise you that I don't act like I am in church when I am at the game. The kids feed off the noise and deserve for the fans to be loud and proud. The China Spring student section and their band did awesome, but their was plenty of noise in the sections where I was sitting. I will never forget the 2016 China Spring/Carthage game, the whole crowd was barking and being extremely loud!

Yes we were, it’s not like we can’t get loud or don’t still from time to time. However, I do think overall we’re too quiet, need to pick it up.

25 minutes ago, CDAWG68 said:

I am watching that game right now. China Spring versus Carthage 2016 at the star. Believe it or not the 2016 China Spring was better than the China Spring of last night. Haygood the QB was big and fast and could throw the really good. 
The Dawg QB Davis was throwing darts in that game. Colbert, Ingram, and number 3 were outstanding in the game. 2016 Dawgs will always be my favorite. I call them the cardiac kids. I felt every game they played all most gave me a heart attack. 
The Dawg crowd was very loud and on their feet in that game. 
we Dawgs fans need get back to that kind of support. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I have no idea if Gilmer or Carthage fans were too quiet and complacent…. But winning so much creates expectations that aren’t fair to kids who had nothing to do with past successes. True story, walking out of the state championship game that Gilmer lost to that Wing-T team, two Gilmer fans were talking trash about Jeff Traylor, about how he lost the game about how they need to really think about his coaching ability. Seriously. This is not an indictment of all Gilmer fans, they have GREAT fans just like Carthage…, these were just a couple of yoohhoos, but that’s what happens when you win so much. I tell you, we had success in Jacksonville in the 1990s—no state championships but several nice runs— and we had that, too. Would LOVE to get back to that…
Just this week, Nick Saban went off on the Alabama fans for just such a thing.

Great post 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CDAWG68 said:

Same with carthage/lavega at the Star. 

• Like 1