4A D2 Champion who you got now?

TCU44

2 minutes ago, SHillBuckeye said:

Ha! I forgot all about Region 4! Cuero definitely could win it all. Is Cuero the most balanced in regards to offense and defense?

Just now, d0tc0m said:

Maybe. I'd say Celina is certainly in that conversation.

But truth is, you could make that argument for all the teams left in the bracket. Even Gilmer. I know they're offensive heavy. But don't sleep on the Buckeyes defense. They're good too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

But truth is, you could make that argument for all the teams left in the bracket. Even Gilmer. I know they're offensive heavy. But don't sleep on the Buckeyes defense. They're good too.

Correct. Gilmer's D is good against the run, but I think the secondary is suspect at times; however, I’m not sure if there are any “passing” teams left other than the Buckeyes??

2 minutes ago, SHillBuckeye said:

Correct. Gilmer's D is good against the run, but I think the secondary is suspect at times; however, I’m not sure if there are any “passing” teams left other than the Buckeyes??

Yes. Gilmer is, or has appeared to be, vulnerable in the middle of the field too.

Celina is extremely balanced. Potent air attack and good ground game. Several weapons across the board. Can heavily utilize either facet at any juncture of the game.

China Spring was very opportunistic through the air against a Carthage secondary that was the best in the bracket.

2 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Yes. Gilmer is, or has appeared to be, vulnerable in the middle of the field too.

Celina is extremely balanced. Potent air attack and good ground game. Several weapons across the board. Can heavily utilize either facet at any juncture of the game.

China Spring was very opportunistic through the air against a Carthage secondary that was the best in the bracket.

wo-s going after ring  number 5

• Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 7:14 PM, mikehoncho said:

It’s still too close to call for me. I could see a WOS vs Gilmer title game just as easily as I could see China Spring vs. Celina. I’m kinda excited to get to watch some of these games without a dog in the fight and just enjoy what is hopefully some tense, down to the wire matchups. 

It is so much fuin watching 4A and 3A with no dogs in the fights. 

• Like 3

On 11/27/2021 at 6:14 PM, JETT said:

Man it's some good teams out there, WOS, Celina, gilmer

We played Celina in R1...  It almost felt like they weren't doing anything offensively and was up 21-0 after 6 minutes in the game...  They are really good and have some big boys on that team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

We played Celina in R1...  It almost felt like they weren't doing anything offensively and was up 21-0 after 6 minutes in the game...  They are really good and have some big boys on that team.

Is what it is but once Goliath got knocked out, these other teams can see the light at the end of the tunnel finally..... still hard to believe surratt and squad are done in the 3rd rd... 2021 for ya

• Like 2

China Spring is talented and plays with discipline but there are other good teams left as well.  Goes to show how special Surratt is to have 8 rings.  Carthage went through the season fairly successfully but I think we saw it was not a team that ever got rolling like his teams typically do.  It just takes a special team to win a championship.  I'm curious to see what changes Carthage might make for next year.  I'm guessing it's China Spring's to lose.  

• Thumbs Down 1

48 minutes ago, JETT said:

Is what it is but once Goliath got knocked out, these other teams can see the light at the end of the tunnel finally..... still hard to believe surratt and squad are done in the 3rd rd... 2021 for ya

Going into the bracket, Carthage was goliath, no doubt. But hindsight what it is now, I think the concerns with Carthage that were voiced throughout the season were finally exposed. The offense just wasn't very good (I mean this relatively), which is so odd to me, considering the athleticism of the athletes. The OL just seemed to be out of sorts. Very uncharacteristic of Surratt's teams, but it was a glaring hole this season. The defense was so good that most weeks it created a smoke-and-mirrors effect, and it was easy to just say, "Yeah, but that defense ..." and assume it could win the games on its own. But against a team that could trade blow-for-blow and take advantage of the Dawg's offensive inefficiencies, that defense finally just wasn't enough, and Carthage just wasn't the Goliath we've come to expect them to be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, d0tc0m said:

Going into the bracket, Carthage was goliath, no doubt. But hindsight what it is now, I think the concerns with Carthage that were voiced throughout the season were finally exposed. The offense just wasn't very good (I mean this relatively), which is so odd to me, considering the athleticism of the athletes. The OL just seemed to be out of sorts. Very uncharacteristic of Surratt's teams, but it was a glaring hole this season. The defense was so good that most weeks it created a smoke-and-mirrors effect, and it was easy to just say, "Yeah, but that defense ..." and assume it could win the games on its own. But against a team that could trade blow-for-blow and take advantage of the Dawg's offensive inefficiencies, that defense finally just wasn't enough, and Carthage just wasn't the Goliath we've come to expect them to be.

That is exactly the case. The o-line and QB play in particular were just not what we are used to here. (Anyone can come for me if you want, but I’m just stating a fact that statistically and if you watched the games, it was not as good at the QB position as normal. AGAIN, I’m not bashing a kid, I’m making a simple and factual comparison.) 

Last year they had the perfect marriage of a stellar defense and explosive offense, which led to perhaps their most dominant run. This year it was not to be, there are other more complete teams left in this 4A D2 playoffs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Celina is big. Very big in the trenches. And strong and athletic. The offense has been very efficient all season long (with the exception of the Argyle game). They don't do it in the same way that Gilmer does, but the Bobcats are also capable of a quick onslaught in which you look up and all of a sudden you're down by a whole bunch.