3A DII Regional Finalist Rankings by Swing

Pax

I have a stat I call "swing" which is the amount of points a team takes an opponent out of their game.  I think it's a good single number that quantifies how good a team is taking into account the strength of their opponents as well.  For example, if you beat a team by 40 points and that team wins on average by 20 points, then your swing for that game is +60.  If that team normally loses by 20 points, then your swing would be +20.  If you lose a game by 3 points, and that team wins on average by 30 points, you still get a +27 in the swing stat.  These are the rankings by swing for the 8 teams remaining in 3ADII.  This is the average swing per game for the entire season

Overall Swing - Ranking - Team(Region) - Swing :

1 - Franklin(4) - 52.8

2 - Gunter(2) - 48.7

3 - Waskom(3) - 48.2

4 - Roosevelt(1) - 39.7

5 - Daingerfield(3) - 35.9

6 - Poth(4) - 35.8

7 - Holliday(2) - 32.2

8 - Abernathy(1) - 31.5

Ranking by Offensive Swing (Team scores this many more points than the teams they play give up on average) :

1 - Franklin(4) - 32.4

2 - Waskom(3) - 28.6

3 - Gunter(2) - 26.2

4 - Roosevelt(1) - 22.5

5 - Daingerfield(3) - 20.2

6 - Poth(4) - 18.2

7 - Abernathy(1) - 16.7

8 - Holliday(2) - 12.7

Ranking by Defensive Swing (Team allows this many fewer points than the teams they play score on average) :

1 - Gunter(2) - 22.5

2 - Franklin(4) - 20.4

3 - Waskom(3) - 19.6

4 - Holliday(2) - 19.5

5 - Poth(4) - 17.6

6 - Roosevelt(1) - 17.2

7 - Daingerfield(3) - 15.7

8 - Abernathy(1) - 14.8

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2Punks said:

Awesome stats Pax! Since these are the last eight standing, would it be safe to assume that starters playing times, running clocks, etc are comparable across all of these games?

It's really hard to say to what degree these teams are playing their backups.  I'd say the top 3 teams are probably pretty similar in that regard.  The rest I'm not sure.  These are just the last 8 remaining - not necessarily the best 8 teams in the state.  Obviously, there are likely teams that didn't make the regional final from one region that would beat the finalists of another region.  So I'm not sure your assumption is necessarily safe.  It's hard to say.  Probably pretty similar among the top two or three teams, but not all 8 of them.

2 hours ago, Pax said:

Yes, I will be doing these games.  Haven't gotten a chance yet.

I had no doubt. You’re the best for doing all the number mashing! We appreciate it. Sometimes I’m hesitant to ask for them, kind of like last year’s against Canadian. Ignorance is bliss, lol! Anyway, thanks for the indulgence!