🐯LSU 2021 Thread🐯

Stoney

17 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Not only that, they play big boy football, not the finesse spread game that Texas HS does. Their good athletes play on defense most of the time. In Texas they play offense. 

Agreed. Texas HS coaches keep putting these 6'2 210 pound guys out wide catching passes when they should be bulking up to 230 and playing LB. I've even seen several guys try to slow their natural weight gain in order to stay at WR when their bodies and skill set are screaming to be moved to OLB. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Not only that, they play big boy football, not the finesse spread game that Texas HS does. Their good athletes play on defense most of the time. In Texas they play offense. 

It's one area where our guy is a relative anomaly. You have absolute gamebreakers like Jeph Lister or Willie Nelson who come up as stars on offense, and they get moved to defense. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RETIREDFAN1 changed the title to Brian Kelly going to LSU???

I understand that some people love the bayou area and real swamp, but why would you leave a program with national recruiting power and go to Louisiana. I guess at LSU you don't have to worry about getting athletes into the school, I am guessing their admission and academic standards are not as high as Notre Dame's. 

I had to wait a day to let it settle in before I broke this down mentally.

Here is the statistical breakdown for Brian Kelly:

Overall record: 263-92-2
5 NY6 Bowls or better (2 CFB PLayoff/BCS)
Has been a head coach for 32 years
In those 32 years he has had TWO losing seasons.  Let that sink in.
He won at won of the worst programs in college football at the time, Cent Michigan (formally known as "directional michigan")
He landed Cincinnati in 2 prominent bowl games as HC
He rebuilt and rebranded Notre Dame back to relevancy after several years dormant.

Now for my take:

LSU essentially hired Gary Patterson.  A guy that seems like a genuine prick publicly.  However, based on what we have seen and what you see above, the guy can coach football and knows how to win.  The real issue here will be him acclimating to the LSU fan base and players.  If he doesn't click, it can be bad.  However, if it gels, my God... this could be glorious.  We are talking about a guy who made Manti T'ao look like an NFL player and appeared in a BCS Championship game with that guy as his MLB...  Who has his best QB been at Notre Dame?  Crist, Rees, Golson, Kizer (stop me when you hear a good one), Zaire, Book, Coan (current QB)...  Imagine when he gets one of these 5* QBs to work with...  

Overall, it is not a perfect fit for LSU.  The sky is the limit for this school with Kelly.  But the floor could literally be underneath it.  LSU fans will bury him in 3 years of 4 loss seasons...  but if he gets in and holds on to these recruits, and gets the current class locked up, we could be looking at something special in a year or 2.

• Thanks 1

Some of those QBs were very highly recruited but I see your point. 

I think this is the safe hire. He might never win big at lsu, but he knows how to manage a program and will not be the loose cannon that Ed O has been. I think he will bring stability and give them a very proven formula to get back right. I think he's actually very similar hire to Les Miles in that his coordinator hires will be very important to whether he succeeds or is just mediocre. I don't think he will fail there I just think like Les, they are firing him in 6-7 years for hovering around 10 wins give or take but not punching through enough. 

A terrible "cultural" fit, but that doesn't mean it won't work.

If the LSU power-brokers and wheeler-dealers can just do their thing in the background and let him coach, he'll have LSU rocking and rolling in no time. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LOL said:

A terrible "cultural" fit, but that doesn't mean it won't work.

If the LSU power-brokers and wheeler-dealers can just do their thing in the background and let him coach, he'll have LSU rocking and rolling in no time. 

I was going to say the same thing. I think it's a difficult thing for these northern guys to assimilate to southern areas many times, that culture...getting into their business, so to speak...expecting them to be part of a church...expecting them to be in the community...expecting them to glad hand with alumni and somewhat enjoy it. 

15 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

I was going to say the same thing. I think it's a difficult thing for these northern guys to assimilate to southern areas many times, that culture...getting into their business, so to speak...expecting them to be part of a church...expecting them to be in the community...expecting them to glad hand with alumni and somewhat enjoy it. 

Literally, all you have to do is win.  The rest will take care of itself.  Ed O won his NC… but let the next 2 regular seasons and off-seasons go way off the highway.  They were a complete disaster.  If LSU had continued with 9-10 win seasons no one in LA would care what you do on your own time.  Why the hell do you think Lea Miles was around so long?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

He won at won of the worst programs in college football at the time, Cent Michigan (formally known as "directional michigan")
He rebuilt and rebranded Notre Dame back to relevancy after several years dormant.

Now for my take:

LSU essentially hired Gary Patterson.  A guy that seems like a genuine #### publicly.  However, based on what we have seen and what you see above, the guy can coach football and knows how to win.  The real issue here will be him acclimating to the LSU fan base and players.  If he doesn't click, it can be bad.  However, if it gels, my God... this could be glorious.  We are talking about a guy who made Manti T'ao look like an NFL player and appeared in a BCS Championship game with that guy as his MLB...  Who has his best QB been at Notre Dame?  Crist, Rees, Golson, Kizer (stop me when you hear a good one), Zaire, Book, Coan (current QB)...  Imagine when he gets one of these 5* QBs to work with...  

Overall, it is not a perfect fit for LSU.  The sky is the limit for this school with Kelly.  But the floor could literally be underneath it.  LSU fans will bury him in 3 years of 4 loss seasons...  but if he gets in and holds on to these recruits, and gets the current class locked up, we could be looking at something special in a year or 2.

2 National titles at Grand Valley State DII(2002 & 2003)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Now for my take:

LSU essentially hired Gary Patterson.  A guy that seems like a genuine #### publicly.  However, based on what we have seen and what you see above, the guy can coach football and knows how to win.  The real issue here will be him acclimating to the LSU fan base and players.  If he doesn't click, it can be bad.  However, if it gels, my God... this could be glorious.  We are talking about a guy who made Manti T'ao look like an NFL player and appeared in a BCS Championship game with that guy as his MLB...  Who has his best QB been at Notre Dame?  Crist, Rees, Golson, Kizer (stop me when you hear a good one), Zaire, Book, Coan (current QB)...  Imagine when he gets one of these 5* QBs to work with...  

Out of curiosity, as I don’t follow ND closely, but why have none of the aforementioned QB’s not worked out for ND? My assumption is that they were all recruited by Kelly. I know that the academic requirements are less at LSU than ND but is that the going to be the tipping point to get a better QB at LSU than ND? Or, is developing a QB a Kelly issue? Why hasn’t the QB position panned out for Kelly teams?

13 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Out of curiosity, as I don’t follow ND closely, but why have none of the aforementioned QB’s not worked out for ND? My assumption is that they were all recruited by Kelly. I know that the academic requirements are less at LSU than ND but is that the going to be the tipping point to get a better QB at LSU than ND? Or, is developing a QB a Kelly issue? Why hasn’t the QB position panned out for Kelly teams?

I believe the QB issues had a lot to do with the team as a whole.  There haven’t been many talented WRs to throw to.  So when you recruit statue-like drop back passers, with no receivers and you don’t have the PA game working, it’s a recipe for disaster.  

Honestly, his ability to win all of these years without a game changer at QB is huge IMO

36 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I believe the QB issues had a lot to do with the team as a whole.  There haven’t been many talented WRs to throw to.  So when you recruit statue-like drop back passers, with no receivers and you don’t have the PA game working, it’s a recipe for disaster.  

Honestly, his ability to win all of these years without a game changer at QB is huge IMO

I agree with this. He runs a solid program. Like I said I don't know what his ceiling is with LSU, but the floor is high. 

I don't see Notre Dame having QB issues, they have all been quality QB, just not flashy QBs--but I thought Ian Book did a great job, won more games at that school than any other QB, and got them to the playoffs 2 years. And Rees is now the offensive coordinator at ND. But ND is like the Dallas Cowboys, either you love them or you hate them. 

44 minutes ago, LOL said:

Jimbo would be insane to leave A&M now. He's totally in position to compete for and possibly win a natty in the next few seasons. 

If he wins the SEC next year Aggies would pay him $12.5/yr...

If he follows 2022's SEC championship raise with a 2023 National Championship, Aggie brass is crazy enough to give him a new raise and extension to $15m.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

If he wins the SEC next year Aggies would pay him $12.5/yr...

If he follows 2022's SEC championship raise with a 2023 National Championship, Aggie brass is crazy enough to give him a new raise and extension to $15m.

The market cap is trending upward. If he produces a natty and makes A&M truly elite, there's absolutely no reason not to pay him top-dollar.