Melissa (11-2) vs Stephenville (13-0) Fri 12/3 7:30PM Pennington Field, Bedford

Texski

I just do not see any way this will not be great ball game. Looks like 2 evenly matched teams and the predictions I've seen so far are about a 50/50 split. This one will be a war in the trenches and the battle between the SVille OL and the Melissa DL will be the main matchup to watch IMO. Melissa D overall has played really well since week 3 but has been vurnerable to the deep pass when facing teams with a QB that can sling it. SVille looks to be one of those teams so this has a potential to be a high scoring game, but thinking nowhere near the 65-58 shootout won be Melissa last years when the teams ran 65+ plays each and combined for 1,300+ total yeards.

I think the winner of this faces Austin LBJ for the title in 2 weeks. Weather looks to be perfect and really looking forward to this game.

This one is going to be a fantastic game! Exactly what you'd expect to get in this round in THIS Region. Stephenville's defense looked mighty, mighty good last week against Argyle, and the offense did just enough to get the win, grinding out a textbook drive there at the end.

Melissa has some DUDES on both sides of the ball. Their defensive line is a juggernaut. But so was Argyle's. I think Melissa has a better offense, overall, than Argyle, though. This one is almost too close to call, but I'll say Stephenville by a point.

I definitely like Melissa's offense over that of Stephenville overall, but Stephenville has the better running game.  In the passing game, I think Melissa is more potent and dangerous with their stable of speedy receivers and Fennegan's accuracy. Both QB's can & will run, but both defenses are very good.  I like Stephenville's LB's better, but Melissa's pass rush.  Argyle was able to move the ball on Stephenville, but they just made 2 big plays at the right time to win......a caused fumble at the goal line that would have been a TD, and a fumble at midfield early in the fourth when Argyle was marching......those two plays were the definitely the difference in the game.  Stephenville does have some experienced weapons and Lambert throwing it, but Argyle basically kept their passing game in check.....they hit Eakin for one score on a one-on-one endzone flag route to the corner.  The throw was quick and perfect.....Lambert threw it to a spot and Eakin beat the corner to the spot.  Felton was the corner......he's 6-1, very fast, and very athletic......so it was just a quicky perfect pass play that was undefendable(indefensible).

BTW......I'm taking Melissa in this one by at least a TD.  Both teams have good kickers and special teams, but maybe Melissa has the edge on returns.  I was impressed with Stephenville's secondary play......both the LB's and the cover guys were on the Argyle receivers quickly and made the plays/stopped the YACS.....except for one big one.

You can bet your boots that Melissa has a better throwing QB than Argyle, but Fennegan doesn't run or move as quickly as Copeland.  And Melissa definitely has a better stable of receivers that are all very fast and very talented......but maybe it's just Fennegan that makes it look that way.  Either way......when he's back there firing it, Melissa is very tough to defend. The Cardinals do have a couple of really good backs in the running game that can burn you.....esp. if Fennegan is on target with his receivers. I really get fired up watching Melissa on offense......they remind me so much of last season's Argyle offensive juggernaut.  In fact, this year's Melissa team is very similar to last season's Argyle team......not exactly for sure.....but you will see many similarities.

8 hours ago, regaleagle said:

You can bet your boots that Melissa has a better throwing QB than Argyle, but Fennegan doesn't run or move as quickly as Copeland.  And Melissa definitely has a better stable of receivers that are all very fast and very talented......but maybe it's just Fennegan that makes it look that way.  Either way......when he's back there firing it, Melissa is very tough to defend. The Cardinals do have a couple of really good backs in the running game that can burn you.....esp. if Fennegan is on target with his receivers. I really get fired up watching Melissa on offense......they remind me so much of last season's Argyle offensive juggernaut.  In fact, this year's Melissa team is very similar to last season's Argyle team......not exactly for sure.....but you will see many similarities.

Last years Argyle offense was stupid good. Melissa has two losses, Nobody beating last year’s Argyle team in DI. 
I agree with you on this year Melissa. 
I got Melissa by 1 over the Ville. 

Just to let everybody know......Sam Fennegan's older brother is a D-1 QB at Boise State.  I think he entered the transfer portal after last season and I'm not sure who he's playing for this season.......but he's a throwing and running nightmare for the opposition.  Cade Fennegan transferred from Boise State as a true freshman in 2020 to BYU after returning from his mission experience for a year (apparently he's a Mormon....and that explains the transfer to BYU).  He is still considered a freshman in 2021 and will have 4 more yrs of eligibility at BYU.  He stands  (6-2/180) from Dallas Woodrow Wilson as a 2-Star......brother Sam (6-1/185) at Melissa is just about the same size now, but is actually bigger than Cade was when Cade graduated high school.

To get a better idea of Sam Fennegan......just google Sam Fennegan and you will find all kinds of information from last season and this season. Also clips from both seasons.  HIs stats from 2020 as a junior QB for Melissa are also listed, but none for this season so far......Melissa does not release individual stats of their players. But I can tell you for certain.......this season Fennegan's stats are much better than last season.  He has a QB rating listed also......not sure if that is up to date for this season, though......I think it was for his junior season only.

4 hours ago, regaleagle said:

To get a better idea of Sam Fennegan......just google Sam Fennegan and you will find all kinds of information from last season and this season. Also clips from both seasons.  HIs stats from 2020 as a junior QB for Melissa are also listed, but none for this season so far......Melissa does not release individual stats of their players. But I can tell you for certain.......this season Fennegan's stats are much better than last season.  He has a QB rating listed also......not sure if that is up to date for this season, though......I think it was for his junior season only.

Fennegan's season stats are passing- 168-287  2,742 yds 37 TDs 8 Ints and 304 yds rushing 6 TDs in 13 games...nearly identical to last years stats in 12 games.

Melissa has had 16 different players score offensive TDs this year so Sam has lots of weapons to work with.

3 hours ago, bigorange said:

Sam is a legit qb and the best passer to come trough Melissa 

Yeah......Lewis at Colorado was just more athletic overall and has ability falling off his shoulders......but I also agree that Sam is the better pure passer.  Lewis was and still is for Colorado a dual threat QB.

I will be viewing this game and the China Spring/WOS game at the same time.  I'll be giving updates on this game on this thread from time to time.  Kickoff for both games will be 7 pm.   The first 4A regional final tonight is Springtown/Hirschi which kicks at 6:30 pm on NFHS.....if you wanna start out there before the other games kick.

Broadcast for this game starts at 6:55.   The Springtown/Hirschi game has been delayed a little bit.  Jeff Traylor's UTSA Roadrunners vs Western Kentucky Hilltoppers for the Conference USA Championship are on CBS Sports Network on TV right now......it's 10-7 in the first qtr.