#3 Celina vs #2 Gilmer - Friday Dec. 10, @ 7p in Prosper

TCU44

Semifinals  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Celina Bobcats (12-1)
    • Gilmer Buckeyes (13-1)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/2021 at 01:00 AM

13 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

PG ran right at Gilmer tonight with a lot of success.  Just could not get points.  Celina has the OL and ground game to do the same.  Could be interesting if they can get some stops.  Certainly think it will be a much more competitive game than the Bux have seen in a while.

We were without our second best Dlineman tonight 

• Crawford changed the title to #3 Celina vs #2 Gilmer

We have seen this movie. Celina has not seen the speed and athleticism they will get from Gilmer. If the Bobcats think they can play press man and bring heat, they will be watching the backs of Buckeye jerseys running by them all night. They are well coached.  They know #11 can carve them up in straight man. Especially with his feet. So they will play 2 safeties over the top and hope to contain Gilmer’s running game with 6 in the box. What they had better not forget is that 11 can RUN as well as the backs.

Celina will do what they do and pound the rock. The Black Flag has got to get Celina off the field and create some turnovers. Celina’s QB does not like pressure (see the Argyle game). But the Cats can ground and pound with that huge O-Line. They will also play action over the top and throw deep on Gilmer outside, but they may quickly realize (like Van did) that Gilmer’s corners may not necessarily be the ones against they have seen on film.

Gilmer wants a track meet. Celina wants a ground war. Historically, Celina has struggled containing the speed and athletes. The Buckeyes have embarrassed Celina a few times and posted some lop-sides scores. But when Celina has gotten Gilmer into a grind it out game, their discipline and execution has allowed them to pull it out.

I think the difference in this game is turnovers and QB play. #11 for the Buckeyes shows why he is a D1 QB in this one, and takes his team to a second straight appearance at Jerryland:

Celina 35

Gilmer 43

• Like 3

• Crawford changed the title to #3 Celina vs #2 Gilmer - Friday Dec. 10, @ 7p in Prosper
6 hours ago, buckeyefandom said:

We have seen this movie. Celina has not seen the speed and athleticism they will get from Gilmer. If the Bobcats think they can play press man and bring heat, they will be watching the backs of Buckeye jerseys running by them all night. They are well coached.  They know #11 can carve them up in straight man. Especially with his feet. So they will play 2 safeties over the top and hope to contain Gilmer’s running game with 6 in the box. What they had better not forget is that 11 can RUN as well as the backs.

Celina will do what they do and pound the rock. The Black Flag has got to get Celina off the field and create some turnovers. Celina’s QB does not like pressure (see the Argyle game). But the Cats can ground and pound with that huge O-Line. They will also play action over the top and throw deep on Gilmer outside, but they may quickly realize (like Van did) that Gilmer’s corners may not necessarily be the ones against they have seen on film.

Gilmer wants a track meet. Celina wants a ground war. Historically, Celina has struggled containing the speed and athletes. The Buckeyes have embarrassed Celina a few times and posted some lop-sides scores. But when Celina has gotten Gilmer into a grind it out game, their discipline and execution has allowed them to pull it out.

I think the difference in this game is turnovers and QB play. #11 for the Buckeyes shows why he is a D1 QB in this one, and takes his team to a second straight appearance at Jerryland:

Celina 35

Gilmer 43

I may be wrong but this is a toss up game. 
You have Gilmer with the speed advantage and Celina with size and power advantage. 
I think your wrong about Celina on offense, they can run or pass equally well because of that BIG O line. 
Gilmer has the advantage in receivers and A QB that can pick you a part if you cannot put pressure on him. 
If Celina can get to the QB and make him throw when he does not want to and has no where to run, that is the only way to stop Gilmer. 
I think this will be Gilmer biggest test since Carthage. 
I hope to make this game, only 45 minutes from home. Should be one heck of a game. 
I will be pulling for Gilmer, have to keep the Championship in East Texas. 
Buckeyes by 1 point. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, buckeyefandom said:

Celina 35

Gilmer 43

Not a terrible analysis.

Buckeyes will go against the best overall defense they’ve faced since Carthage, and the best overall defensive line they will face all year long. Bobcats are no joke up front.

• Like 2

I watched Celina vs Aubrey and Gilmer vs PG last night, and I’ll say that Aubrey vs PG would’ve been a great game. Chaps probably would’ve taken the Hawks down this year. This will draw some laughs, but Aubrey was not a bad team. They had a ton of speed, and would have given PG some fits. Now, I think Gilmer would’ve beaten the Chaps somewhere in the neighborhood of 49-7 or so. But, I digress.

What was interesting in the Celina/Aubrey game last night is, the Bobcats won 34-0 while running a brand new offense they haven’t done all year long. We ran our base offense look for about 1-2 snaps and that was it.

This Celina offense is multi-faceted and doesn’t have to rely on one thing or the other. Bobcats can take over with a ground-and-pound attack if the game dictates that, or utilize Bentley’s strong arm at QB to move the ball through the air.

This will be the most efficient offense Gilmer has faced all year long, and probably the biggest, strongest o-line by a decent margin.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Not a terrible analysis.

Buckeyes will go against the best overall defense they’ve faced since Carthage, and the best overall defensive line they will face all year long. Bobcats are no joke up 

2 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I watched Celina vs Aubrey and Gilmer vs PG last night, and I’ll say that Aubrey vs PG would’ve been a great game. Chaps probably would’ve taken the Hawks down this year. This will draw some laughs, but Aubrey was not a bad team. They had a ton of speed, and would have given PG some fits. Now, I think Gilmer would’ve beaten the Chaps somewhere in the neighborhood of 49-7 or so. But, I digress.

What was interesting in the Celina/Aubrey game last night is, the Bobcats won 34-0 while running a brand new offense they haven’t done all year long. We ran our base offense look for about 1-2 snaps and that was it.

This Celina offense is multi-faceted and doesn’t have to rely on one thing or the other. Bobcats can take over with a ground-and-pound attack if the game dictates that, or utilize Bentley’s strong arm at QB to move the ball through the air.

This will be the most efficient offense Gilmer has faced all year long, and probably the biggest, strongest o-line by a decent margin.

I have watched a couple of games or highlights of Celina. Their O line reminds me of the Carthage O line from last year, they are big and can run people over and can protect the QB when passing very well. 
Celina has not been tested since the Argyle game. They are the most well balanced team left out of the four still playing. 
The key for Celina winning this game will be the O line. 
The key for Gilmer is their QB. 

9 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Not a terrible analysis.

Buckeyes will go against the best overall defense they’ve faced since Carthage, and the best overall defensive line they will face all year long. Bobcats are no joke up front.

It is the Final 4. Every team left standing is good up front. And every team left is good enough to have a shot at winning it all.

As our Gilmer Guru of stats points out every game, every year… Gilmer has a formula too:

Since 2000 when Jeff Traylor (native to Gilmer and knowing the landscape) brought the spread offense to the Buckeyes and the concept of getting speed and athletes the ball in space, Gilmer is 217-12 (that is a 95% winning %) when scoring 30 or more points per game. When scoring less than 30 points per game, Gilmer is 37-33 (53%).

That says it all. Alan Metzel has won 27 games and he is still only in his second year as HC. But he has been a critical mind for Gilmer’s offense, executing this formula for 20 years now. Coach Metzel is not “in” Gilmer. Coach Metzel IS Gilmer.

I expect Celina to try and be Carthage in this game, just with an Orange C instead of a red one.  They will try to control the LoS and make Gilmer stop their run game offensively. Defensively they will try to get penetration with 5 guys out of a 6 man box, blitzing from all angles to disrupt Gilmer’s rhythm.  They will play press man coverage underneath with safeties over the top and force #11 to beat them with his feet (which he can) or his arm outside the pocket (which he can). Anything to  create pressure, chaos and disruption for Gilmer’s offense will be Celina’s plan.  And then allow their own offense to be their best defense.

For Gilmer defensively, they must win 1st Downs. Celina can (and will) throw the ball. But the young QB is a distributor and a game manager. The Cats are huge upfront, but not very athletic. When they get into passing downs and get pressure (as Argyle did), the QB has turned it over. This is what avalanched on them in the 2014 matchup as well. Gilmer just overwhelmed them with speed and athleticism, and before they could stabilize things, Gilmer had scored and scored and scored again. If Gilmer keeps Celina behind the chains, their odds of Celina mistakes increase dramatically. But if Celina can constantly be in 2nd and 6 or less, they will be in a position to control the game.

The coin toss will be as important as anything in this game. Both teams will want the ball as much as possible so they can establish the pace and flow of the game. But in general, the higher the score, the better it will be for Gilmer. The more the ball stays on the ground with the clock running, the better it will be for Celina.

I expect nothing but tight, great games the rest of the way for all 3 games left. These are games played by 15-18 year old kids. They have all worked long and hard to earn this opportunity to be playing in December. Every town should be incredibly proud of their young men for reaching this pinnacle. And you do not get this far without being a really, really good football team. We have seen Celina and Gilmer eyeing each other from across the state and then squaring off in the playoffs since 2003.  Cuero is also no stranger to Buckeye fans. So there is a ton of respect and admiration for programs that have done it at this level consistently for so many years. China Spring knocked off the #1 ranked back to back champs. And they eliminated WOS last night. Some would say they have won 2 State Championship caliber games already!  And the Gobblers are still standing in their way. This is uncharted territory for them, but they are on the verge of having successfully run the gauntlet of what was a much more difficult tournament bracket to win. Hats off to all 4 teams, towns, schools, players, coaches and programs. We are honored to be in it still, and we are 100% aware that any of these teams could win the next 2 and claim the ring. And that is as it should be for a Final 4! But we love our team, and we love our chances too! Let’s see what happens!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

PG ran right at Gilmer tonight with a lot of success.  Just could not get points.  Celina has the OL and ground game to do the same.  Could be interesting if they can get some stops.  Certainly think it will be a much more competitive game than the Bux have seen in a while.

The problem is that Celina has not had a very competitive game for a looong time either.  It's tough to run against Celina's D, but if a team can pass and run effectively then they have a good chance against this season's Celina Bobcats defense.  IF you just pass 75% of the time, that may not work either......they have big guys that can pressure your QB.

11 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

The problem is that Celina has not had a very competitive game for a looong time either.  It's tough to run against Celina's D, but if a team can pass and run effectively then they have a good chance against this season's Celina Bobcats defense.  IF you just pass 75% of the time, that may not work either......they have big guys that can pressure your QB.

Gilmer will be the most explosive offense Celina has faced. I don’t think anyone will argue that. But I’ll say, the Buckeyes haven’t had a competitive game since Pittsburg, although Gilmer faithful were saying that game wasn’t as close as it looked. Beyond that, the most competitive game was a loss to Carthage. I don’t think the schedule matters for either team at this point, to be honest with you. Both teams are really good, both have established identities.

But to your other point, Regal, what teams have had a lot of success throwing the ball against the Bobcats this season? Genuinely curious. And what would you constitute as success in that regard? Argyle and Melissa had one passing TD against the Bobcats each. 

I just don't see Gilmer "controlling" anything on offense in this game against Celina.  They will need to rely on misdirection, big plays, and coverage mistakes by Celina on offense.  On defense, I just don't know what Gilmer brings to the table.  Celina will pound it and pass it effectively on offense and move those chains.

• Like 1