#3 Celina vs #2 Gilmer - Friday Dec. 10, @ 7p in Prosper

TCU44

Semifinals  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Celina Bobcats (12-1)
    • Gilmer Buckeyes (13-1)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/2021 at 01:00 AM

Celina has a great respect for Gilmer. The Bobcats are just 1-3 against the Buckeyes since the first meeting in 2003. The 2015 semifinal matchup was an instant classic. The year before, as was mentioned previously, the game got off the rails before Celina could even blink. That was, of course an all-time great Gilmer team that went on to win the state title.

None of those teams will be on the field Friday.

Celina won’t try to be Carthage in this game. We’ll just try to be Celina. This season, that’s meant a suffocating defense and an efficient, balanced offense that dominates the LOS and does whatever the game dictates.

Celina is huge up front, yes, but if you think they’re not athletic, you’re mistaken. That’s true on both sides of the ball.

Yes, Bentley had a terrible game against Argyle. Lots of factors went into that, including missing 7 key starters, but that’s neither here nor there. Bentley owned that game, and he’s gotten better, and the running game — thanks to health of the backs — is much better than it was then.

In that same vein, against Carthage, Tennison looked hapless. I’m not saying Celina’s defense is the same caliber as the Dawgs — especially in the secondary — but the Bobcats front is better, and we have our own Div. I MLB in Hunter Neely who has absurd closing speed in his own right.

All in all, I expect this to be a great game. Both teams deserve to be here. Said at the end of last season that this would be the semifinal game in 2021, and here we are.

Hope both teams play well, clean, and come out healthy win or lose.

It doesn't matter what happened earlier in the season or against some other big game back then......all that matters now is what your team has done recently.  Both teams have had all season to get better......and to get healthier.  It does matter if some of your best players cannot play, and it does matter what kind of quality depth you have.  Just in case.  And as has been proven many times over.......it does matter just how good your defense really is.  In this game......Celina's defense is definitely better than Gilmer's.  Offensively, it becomes difficult to score against a very good defense. Celina wins this game because they have the better D and a very good offense as well.

• Like 1

First of all y’all made me log back on. Second of all, you long paragraph guys 🙄. Y’all ………..nvm.  And third y’all don’t know Gilmer as I read y’all looking at what y’all see on tv and what other people that knows nothing say.  Respect to Celina but hey we coming to get that azzz! Gonna be a good game for sure but some of you guys need to go watch cartoons.  

1 minute ago, Buckeyelove said:

First of all y’all made me log back on. Second of all, you long paragraph guys 🙄. Y’all ………..nvm.  And third y’all don’t know Gilmer as I read y’all looking at what y’all see on tv and what other people that knows nothing say.  Respect to Celina but hey we coming to get that azzz! Gonna be a good game for sure but some of you guys need to go watch cartoons.  

Get your remote ready after the game to switch it to your favorite cartoon......you'll need some reasons to be entertained after Celina brings their version of football to this game.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Buckeyelove said:

Wut?

37 minutes ago, Buckeyelove said:

I’m confused. 

Just now, Buckeyelove said:

Yea we know a lot of you guys that’s not from gilmer or Celina want Celina to win and we know why. Same ones wanted Carthage out wanta Gilmer out. Lol

Ok ok, now I’m with you. This post made more sense.

Yeah, I’m sure Gilmer has plenty of haters out East from lesser programs who they’ve abused over the years.

But ive seen lots of Carthage folks throwing their hats in Gilmer’s corner. Game recognize game, as the old adage goes.

Celina may have haters of a similar caliber. Of course, none of that has even a marginal effect on Friday’s outcome.

Two great teams, two great programs, head-to-head for a chance to add another chapter in the TXHSFB canon.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Yeah, I’m sure Gilmer has plenty of haters out East from lesser programs who they’ve abused over the years.

But ive seen lots of Carthage folks throwing their hats in Gilmer’s corner. Game recognize game, as the old adage goes.

Celina may have haters of a similar caliber. Of course, none of that has even a marginal effect on Friday’s outcome.

Two great teams, two great programs, head-to-head for a chance to add another chapter in the TXHSFB canon.

You put that perfectly as well. Can’t knock neither program at this point. I mainly was saying as a Gilmer fan we are coming to win just like they are. And why would I think any other way. Right 

14 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I imagine Carthage wants Gilmer to win and loose to China springs in state. Anyone that really knows anything would know why. I know I would feel that way. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Buckeyelove said:

I imagine Carthage wants Gilmer to win and loose to China springs in state. Anyone that really knows anything would know why. I know I would feel that way. 

I am a fan of both Gilmer and Celina. 
I am pulling for Gilmer because I want the championship to stay in East Texas but Celina reminds me of Carthage of last year. A well balanced offense and a good defense. 
It is a toss up game. 

19 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

I've been of the opinion all season that Celina has the personnel this season to win it all.  Nothing has changed that opinion......the Bobcats are everything I thought they would be.  I think Celina has a complete team this season.

I can get with you on that. Celina is a good team and well rounded. Celina will hv the bud ride advantage for sure but Gilmer is a well rounded team as well and getting better and better. What I said in an earlier post to make that part more plan is don’t let what you have seen in watching Gilmer play lead you to believe that Gilmer has put everything out there for the world to see. 

1 hour ago, Buckeyelove said:

I can get with you on that. Celina is a good team and well rounded. Celina will hv the bud ride advantage for sure but Gilmer is a well rounded team as well and getting better and better. What I said in an earlier post to make that part more plan is don’t let what you have seen in watching Gilmer play lead you to believe that Gilmer has put everything out there for the world to see. 

Same with Celina. I mean they just ran a brand new offense against Aubrey that they haven’t used all year. Friday will be fun. Gonna see which team can make the adjustments.

Irrelevant to this game but I have a question.  Several have mentioned the 2015 game that Celina won which is there only time beating us. The way I remember it was that was Turners first year as HC. Im pretty sure we lost to Sweetwater in Turners first year, not Celina. Somebody joggle my memory please. 

20 minutes ago, jubilant said:

Irrelevant to this game but I have a question.  Several have mentioned the 2015 game that Celina won which is there only time beating us. The way I remember it was that was Turners first year as HC. Im pretty sure we lost to Sweetwater in Turners first year, not Celina. Somebody joggle my memory please. 

Gilmer lost to Celina in 2015 semifinals and then Sweetwater in the 2016 semifinals. WOS won back-to-back titles both those years.

• Thanks 1

The good news/bad news, considering whether you like the matchup, is that this is the last time these two teams will ever meet in the playoffs.

It's similar to the Gilmer-Argyle third round playoff game in 2013 at Kincaide Stadium in that respect.