#3 Celina vs #2 Gilmer - Friday Dec. 10, @ 7p in Prosper

TCU44

Semifinals  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Celina Bobcats (12-1)
    • Gilmer Buckeyes (13-1)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/2021 at 01:00 AM

10 minutes ago, TCU44 said:

That was what seven years ago? I’m telling you Gilmer is going to  get run out of the building Friday. It’s going to be a long drive back to East Texas! 

You’re telling me?  What are you telling me? Are you telling me history doesn’t matter when the exact same offenses and defenses with the same athletes (and literally the same gene pools in some cases) And the exact same coaches are going to be dramatically different this time?

I watched the 2003 game live. Same story. “Title Town” was too big for lil ole Gilmer. The lesson was taught 18 years ago. Guess this is the “Last Class” opportunity to learn why bEastTexas is always repped at AT&T in the end?

I am literally sending you film and asking simple and logical questions. I can’t spell it out any more clearly. But given your previous posts and predictions, Gilmer has been beat and is in the 3rd week of basketball season already, right? I guess we’ll see shortly if you finally get one right. You know what they say about broken clocks. (Go Huskies 🤣🤣🤣)

12 minutes ago, buckeyefandom said:

You’re telling me?  What are you telling me? Are you telling me history doesn’t matter when the exact same offenses and defenses with the same athletes (and literally the same gene pools in some cases) And the exact same coaches are going to be dramatically different this time?

I watched the 2003 game live. Same story. “Title Town” was too big for lil ole Gilmer. The lesson was taught 18 years ago. Guess this is the “Last Class” opportunity to learn why bEastTexas is always repped at AT&T in the end?

I am literally sending you film and asking simple and logical questions. I can’t spell it out any more clearly. But given your previous posts and predictions, Gilmer has been beat and is in the 3rd week of basketball season already, right? I guess we’ll see shortly if you finally get one right. You know what they say about broken clocks. (Go Huskies 🤣🤣🤣)

Celina 48

Gilmer 19

17 minutes ago, buckeyefandom said:

Spot on. Gilmer coaches should definitely watch that 18-year old film and prepare for Celina in the exact same way.

• LOL! 1

Just now, buckeyefandom said:

UCONN has given us a final score!  Awesome.  Let’s see.  What is your record now predicting Gilmer games? (A friend of mine at Kent State may have a position for you at their school paper.) 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Cool good luck!👍

40 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

Spot on. Gilmer coaches should definitely watch that 18-year old film and prepare for Celina in the exact same way.

Uh…. Where did my post say THAT!?!?!?!

Wait a minute…. Did I offend with my previous Kent State comment? Apologies to any KSU alumni (including yourself) who may have found my references to the Fine Flashes Football Program offensive. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Allow me to be more specific in my implication. If Celina thinks they can have success with that man-free based scheme (which is all I have ever seen them do in 20 years), they had better be practicing coin flipping and on side kicks all week. Because this QB will treat man-free coverage like Santa treats Christmas Trees.

2 minutes ago, buckeyefandom said:

Uh…. Where did my post say THAT!?!?!?!

Wait a minute…. Did I offend with my previous Kent State comment? Apologies to any KSU alumni (including yourself) who may have found my references to the Fine Flashes Football Program offensive. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Allow me to be more specific in my implication. If Celina thinks they can have success with that man-free based scheme (which is all I have ever seen them do in 20 years), they had better be practicing coin flipping and on side kicks all week. Because this QB will treat man-free coverage like Santa treats Christmas Trees.

I'll be honest, I don't get the Kent State joke, or the Santa/Christmas Trees reference.

I do know that Celina practices coin flips and trick kicks non-stop-around-the-clock though.

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

I'll be honest, I don't get the Kent State joke, or the Santa/Christmas Trees reference.

I do know that Celina practices coin flips and trick kicks non-stop-around-the-clock though.

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

Guilty of Attempted Humor.

Kent State Flashes…. Worst D1 football program in history.

Santa… lights up Christmas Trees.

Coin Flip… win it, take the ball, steal a possession, plays, and likely points from Gilmer. Lose it, and you may find Celina down 14-0 with 8:00 still left in the 1st Quarter. See link below:

Onside Kick to try and keep the Gilmer offense on the sideline (see link above. Celina tried several).

The 2014 Celina team was touted as a big, physical, hard hitting and athletic team. Which they were. And the score was 33-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. 

This year’s Celina team is not as (fill in your complimentary adjective here) as 2014 in my opinion after watching the film. They are plenty good. They won their region and they should be as a Final Four team. But I think the 2014 Celina Team was really, really good.

Gilmer has more size now than they did in 2014. Especially up front. They are more polished at QB and at the skill positions, the speed is on par as well. That 2014 team had #21, #9 (both Minnesota Vikings now) and a QB who was D1. They had lost one of their best friends (and best players) the summer before and they were on a mission. This year’s Gilmer team is very comparable, but a higher skill level offensively and bigger in the trenches. The past 5 weeks they are hitting their stride. Most Gilmer fans would tell you they still have not seen them play their best game.

I have watched all the Celina games. Really good team, but not the best Celina team we have seen over the past decade. 

This year’s Gilmer team is Top 3 ever, and still lots of room to improve. Some of Gilmer’s best games historically have come against Celina. The schemes and matchup just favors the Buckeyes in terms of who they are and what they do. 

With 8 quarter (best case) for either team left in the season, you bring your best or you go to the gym. As it should be. Be a fan, back your team, support your kids and root your heart out for them. They deserve it. It is an incredible accomplishment to get here. 

3 minutes ago, buckeyefandom said:

Coin Flip… win it, take the ball, steal a possession, plays, and likely points from Gilmer. Lose it, and you may find Celina down 14-0 with 8:00 still left in the 1st Quarter. See link below:

Onside Kick to try and keep the Gilmer offense on the sideline (see link above. Celina tried several).

The 2014 Celina team was touted as a big, physical, hard hitting and athletic team. Which they were. And the score was 33-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. 

This year’s Celina team is not as (fill in your complimentary adjective here) as 2014 in my opinion after watching the film. They are plenty good. They won their region and they should be as a Final Four team. But I think the 2014 Celina Team was really, really good.

Gilmer has more size now than they did in 2014. Especially up front. They are more polished at QB and at the skill positions, the speed is on par as well. That 2014 team had #21, #9 (both Minnesota Vikings now) and a QB who was D1. They had lost one of their best friends (and best players) the summer before and they were on a mission. This year’s Gilmer team is very comparable, but a higher skill level offensively and bigger in the trenches. The past 5 weeks they are hitting their stride. Most Gilmer fans would tell you they still have not seen them play their best game.

I have watched all the Celina games. Really good team, but not the best Celina team we have seen over the past decade. 

This year’s Gilmer team is Top 3 ever, and still lots of room to improve. Some of Gilmer’s best games historically have come against Celina. The schemes and matchup just favors the Buckeyes in terms of who they are and what they do. 

With 8 quarter (best case) for either team left in the season, you bring your best or you go to the gym. As it should be. Be a fan, back your team, support your kids and root your heart out for them. They deserve it. It is an incredible accomplishment to get here. 

Celina 48

Gilmer 19

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TCU44 said:

Celina 48

Gilmer 19

Let’s see TCU44. What was your “Football god has spoken” prediction for Caddo Mills vs Gilmer?

Mr “Gilmer season ends tonight! - football god” predicted 

Caddo Mills 45

Gilmer 20

ACTUAL SCORE

Caddo Mills 31

Gilmer 68

They can test for numeric dyslexia now I understand? Until you can get some help, you may want to avoid algebra, the IRS and this prediction thing with high school football scores.

Numbers may not be your thing.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 10:18 AM, buckeyefandom said:

It is the Final 4. Every team left standing is good up front. And every team left is good enough to have a shot at winning it all.

As our Gilmer Guru of stats points out every game, every year… Gilmer has a formula too:

Since 2000 when Jeff Traylor (native to Gilmer and knowing the landscape) brought the spread offense to the Buckeyes and the concept of getting speed and athletes the ball in space, Gilmer is 217-12 (that is a 95% winning %) when scoring 30 or more points per game. When scoring less than 30 points per game, Gilmer is 37-33 (53%).

That says it all. Alan Metzel has won 27 games and he is still only in his second year as HC. But he has been a critical mind for Gilmer’s offense, executing this formula for 20 years now. Coach Metzel is not “in” Gilmer. Coach Metzel IS Gilmer.

I expect Celina to try and be Carthage in this game, just with an Orange C instead of a red one.  They will try to control the LoS and make Gilmer stop their run game offensively. Defensively they will try to get penetration with 5 guys out of a 6 man box, blitzing from all angles to disrupt Gilmer’s rhythm.  They will play press man coverage underneath with safeties over the top and force #11 to beat them with his feet (which he can) or his arm outside the pocket (which he can). Anything to  create pressure, chaos and disruption for Gilmer’s offense will be Celina’s plan.  And then allow their own offense to be their best defense.

For Gilmer defensively, they must win 1st Downs. Celina can (and will) throw the ball. But the young QB is a distributor and a game manager. The Cats are huge upfront, but not very athletic. When they get into passing downs and get pressure (as Argyle did), the QB has turned it over. This is what avalanched on them in the 2014 matchup as well. Gilmer just overwhelmed them with speed and athleticism, and before they could stabilize things, Gilmer had scored and scored and scored again. If Gilmer keeps Celina behind the chains, their odds of Celina mistakes increase dramatically. But if Celina can constantly be in 2nd and 6 or less, they will be in a position to control the game.

The coin toss will be as important as anything in this game. Both teams will want the ball as much as possible so they can establish the pace and flow of the game. But in general, the higher the score, the better it will be for Gilmer. The more the ball stays on the ground with the clock running, the better it will be for Celina.

I expect nothing but tight, great games the rest of the way for all 3 games left. These are games played by 15-18 year old kids. They have all worked long and hard to earn this opportunity to be playing in December. Every town should be incredibly proud of their young men for reaching this pinnacle. And you do not get this far without being a really, really good football team. We have seen Celina and Gilmer eyeing each other from across the state and then squaring off in the playoffs since 2003.  Cuero is also no stranger to Buckeye fans. So there is a ton of respect and admiration for programs that have done it at this level consistently for so many years. China Spring knocked off the #1 ranked back to back champs. And they eliminated WOS last night. Some would say they have won 2 State Championship caliber games already!  And the Gobblers are still standing in their way. This is uncharted territory for them, but they are on the verge of having successfully run the gauntlet of what was a much more difficult tournament bracket to win. Hats off to all 4 teams, towns, schools, players, coaches and programs. We are honored to be in it still, and we are 100% aware that any of these teams could win the next 2 and claim the ring. And that is as it should be for a Final 4! But we love our team, and we love our chances too! Let’s see what happens!

two great teams, but neither will win. I have to go with the team that eliminated Carthage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, buckeyefandom said:

Thanks for the clarifications on the jokes. I feel silly for not getting the Santa one, but we’ve always lit up our own trees, so I guess that’s why I was confused. Don’t know anything about Kent State, but I’ll log that info in the back of my mind.

And thanks for posting the 2014 game. That was far and away the best Gilmer team to ever take the field. Do you have that 2015 game too? If I recall correctly, Celina started that game down 14-0 too.

Anyway, i’m glad you’re having fun on here, buckeyefandom. Maybe it will make this week entertaining enough that it’ll go by quicker.

Ready for Friday!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

Thanks for the clarifications on the jokes. I feel silly for not getting the Santa one, but we’ve always lit up our own trees, so I guess that’s why I was confused. Don’t know anything about Kent State, but I’ll log that info in the back of my mind.

And thanks for posting the 2014 game. That was far and away the best Gilmer team to ever take the field. Do you have that 2015 game too? If I recall correctly, Celina started that game down 14-0 too.

Anyway, i’m glad you’re having fun on here, buckeyefandom. Maybe it will make this week entertaining enough that it’ll go by quicker.

Ready for Friday!

Here ya go…

This was a huge transition year for Gilmer after 14 years of Coach Traylor left in 2015. This Gilmer team was one of my favorites, not because they were immensely talented, but because they played above their heads and with a lot of heart and were the first team to get back to the semis following a state title. Gilmer’s team speed was way down and they won a lot of close games, even beating Carthage by only 1 point if I recall in Longview that year.

I think that 2015 Celina team was very similar to this year’s team as well, except the QB is not nearly as athletic now. I think the 2014 Celina QB was better than both. And maybe that 2014 Celina team would have had a better chance against WOS than the 2015 did the next week.

This 2015 Celina / Gilmer bout was a GREAT GAME, which came down to turnovers and Celina getting a critical strip on DeMarco (Boyd, who went on with his brother Kris to Texas. Kris was #21 on the 2014 team, now with the Vikings).

This 2015 Celina team is exactly the kind I expect to see Friday. The Gilmer team Friday is a lot closer to 2014 than 2015. Especially in the team speed department. And the QB now is on another level all together than 2014 & 2015 both. Heck, the QB you’ll see from Gilmer Friday is probably the best they’ve ever had. And given 2009 Mr Texas Football, MVP and State Champ Stump Godfrey from Gilmer, that is saying something.

Stump himself is on faculty at Gilmer now and is very, very tight with both #11, and his brother, Freshman QB who wears Stump’s #10. He mentors a lot of the kids including the Gilmer QBs on and off the field, and will be on the sidelines. The “Championship Shadow” in the Gilmer Field House with former Buckeyes coaching now is special. Having “Buckeye Legends” on the sidelines with the kids is like having their own private stable of Super Heroes on their side. The influence they have on the Gilmer kids on and off the field is amazing.

People forget that Coach Metzel and a lot of these Gilmer coaches have been here for decades. Celina is the same way. Coach Metzel was Stump’s QB Coach in 2009, and they are also very, very close. That “Big Brother” influence from current coaches who are former Buckeyes and wear State Rings themselves is one of the key reasons Gilmer is Gilmer. It is a real “Family” chemistry and some special men leading in the Field House. They  are shepherding more than just a Championship Football Tradition. 

On 12/5/2021 at 11:27 PM, StangtilDeath said:

He doesn't need just a whole hell of a long time to put it on a dime and doesn't scare easy.

I have seen him play against Carthage several times. I know how explosive he can be at times, but I have also seen him look like he is struggling to find a rhythm. I feel Celina will put pressure on him and not let Tennison pick them apart. I cannot be too impressed with his ability, when they have only scored 21 points in the last 2 games against Carthage, with him as quarterback.

I saw last night where Celina is now a 10-point favorite in this game according to Dave Campbell's.  The Bobcats must be for real this year for sure.  The Buckeyes better bring their A-GAME to this matchup.  We better set the tone early and maintain it throughout.  Finding an offensive rhythm early, and staying in rhythm is a must.  We better get SEVERAL defensive stops, too.  For me, it's hard to believe we are the underdog going into this game.  It is what it is, and we better be UP for the challenge.

26 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

I saw last night where Celina is now a 10-point favorite in this game according to Dave Campbell's.  The Bobcats must be for real this year for sure.  The Buckeyes better bring their A-GAME to this matchup.  We better set the tone early and maintain it throughout.  Finding an offensive rhythm early, and staying in rhythm is a must.  We better get SEVERAL defensive stops, too.  For me, it's hard to believe we are the underdog going into this game.  It is what it is, and we better be UP for the challenge.

I did not see that! That's a bit too rich for my blood. I did see PigskinPreps has GILMER as the 10-point favorite. Soooo ... I guess that means it ought to be a good game.

27 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

Follow the $. How many Dave Campbell subscriptions do you think they sell in Upshur County, as opposed to that $$$$$ Area in the Metroplex?

Dave Campbell, the UIL, they are ALL the “New NCAA”. How much money are they making off of high school kids!?!?! 

Watch the film. Coaches have. And you don’t have to be a coach to see what you see.

11 minutes ago, buckeyefandom said:

Follow the $. How many Dave Campbell subscriptions do you think they sell in Upshur County, as opposed to that $$$$$ Area in the Metroplex?

Dave Campbell, the UIL, they are ALL the “New NCAA”. How much money are they making off of high school kids!?!?! 

Watch the film. Coaches have. And you don’t have to be a coach to see what you see.

I hope @MattStepphas a take on this. Lol the subscriptions have nothing to do with who they're picking in this game. In addition, their pick has nothing to do with this game.

5 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I hope @MattStepphas a take on this. Lol the subscriptions have nothing to do with who they're picking in this game. In addition, their pick has nothing to do with this game.

Now you think Dave Campbell’s is a non profit too? 🥴 🤣😂 @MattStepp watches film too, and then he SELLS SUBSCRIPTIONS! And after all these years I think he has learned the difference between Region 1 and Region 2.

How many times have Dave Campbell and PigskinPrep picked opposite teams with a 20 point delta? Everybody turn on CNN and listen closely. They have some really important “News” to share!

🐑 🐑 🐑 🐑 🐑 🐑 🐑