#3 Celina vs #2 Gilmer - Friday Dec. 10, @ 7p in Prosper

TCU44

Semifinals  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Celina Bobcats (12-1)
    • Gilmer Buckeyes (13-1)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/2021 at 01:00 AM

Congrats on the win, Gilmer. Buckeyes were talented, just as advertised. Fluellen is a DUDE and so is Tennison.

I thought Celina’s defense played really good, overall, considering how much they were on the field. Fluellen was the only mismatch, to be honest. But Celina’s offense looked bad. Just flat out bad. Dropped passes, odd play calling, receivers giving up on routes, QB being indecisive, etc. But give credit to Gilmer’s defense, because they came out and played very physical the whole game, and they managed to keep Celina uncomfortable.

Buckeyes get their shot at title-game redemption next week, and they earned it! Good luck! Hope it’s a great game with the Cougars!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Rabbs63 said:

Carthage fans, what’s your honest opinion about the next game for Gilmer?  Do they stand a chance against CS?  

Yes they have a chance. If they make the same penalty’s they made tonight, China Spring will run them out of the building. 
China Spring has the d backs that can run with Gilmer and they will hit you when you catch the ball. 
The D line is big and fast. Linebackers are very good, number 11 played as good as Kip Lewis and he is big. 
The o line whip our d line at times. 
They had 261 yards to our 249. 
They run the ball well with their QB and number 4 the tailback. 
Numbers to watch 55  D line 55 is a manster, 11, DB’S 8 and 18 play both ways and they cover like a stinking blanket and they can run with Gilmer. 
The key to CS is their QB, he is a special kind of athlete. When you think you have him, you don’t and he throws on the run as good as standing still. He throws on us was money and 8 and 18 did not drop a single pass. 
Gilmer plays a good game they have a chance a good chance. Don’t have all those penalties and dang sure don’t turn the ball over. 

• Like 2

I didn't get to see this game in it's entirety since I was watching 3 games at once......but Congrats to the Gilmer Buckeyes on their convincing win.  I will watch it on demand on NFHS in its entirety this weekend to get a better flavor of Gilmer.  I guess Celina did not show up with their A game tonight......which happens to them quite a bit in big games in recent years.  I don't know if they have just lost their belief in themselves, or what.......but they definitely have the personnel on this season's team.  I'll hafta watch the full game......I did not really get a chance to see how the whole thing unfolded.  But it looked to me like Celina kept making all kinds of mistakes and had poor field position all night and also did not open up their offense at all.  They thought they could just pound the ball on the ground against Gilmer......WRONG!! And Gilmer clearly had the advantage w/ speed......Celina committed their LB's to stop the run and corral Tennison instead of defending Gilmer's passing attack.....WRONG again.  

1 hour ago, Rabbs63 said:

Carthage fans, what’s your honest opinion about the next game for Gilmer?  Do they stand a chance against CS?  

Gilmer has the offense to score on CS. I think they have a very good chance and that it will be a close game. I may even have Gilmer winning. Not sure right now.

I just want to know when are people gonna just admit that Gilmer is good and maybe people should look out for Gilmer instead of the other way around. Most teams get drove with the penalties that Gilmer get but yet Gilmer still win. Just because China beat Carthage does not mean China will suppose to beat giLmer. And have anyone located tcu44?  I’m ready for his loss prediction for Gilmer this week. 

OK, some observations about the game:

1. Game ball goes to the Gilmer defense. Celina had one drive in the first half which Gilmer stopped on fourth down. In the second half, they scored or a partially busted play, when Gilmer jumped off sides and the defense froze up for just a second. Other than that, Gilmer completely shut Celina down.  
2. Blakey, Tennison, & Fluellen basically were put in man to man all night with the Celina wide outs. This allowed Gilmer to commit nine players to stopping the run. Cornerback play for Gilmer tonight was excellent. As well as linebacker play and D line play. 
3. Gilmer also won the special-teams battle. They pinned Celina deep all night. Meanwhile, Celina was so afraid to punt the ball to Fluellen, so they shanked several punts, giving Gilmer good field position. 
4. Offensively, Gilmer had more false starts in this game than any game I’ve ever seen.  Some of it was clearly because of all the pre-snap movement from the Celina defense.  But some of it just seemed a lack of focus. Gilmer will definitely have to clean this up, as it ended some drives tonight.  
5. Tennison showed why he was on the 4A cover for Texas football magazine.  His scramble on the first drive to set up first and goal was amazing. And he threw on the run with incredible accuracy.

6.  The key to the offense however was Fluellen.  Celina could not cover him, and when they overcommitted to stopping him Gilmer burned them by using him as a decoy.  
7.  The Celina  defensive line is legit.  As good as any Gilmer has seen this year. However, the Gilmer offensive line made the plays when it counted.  

Overall, a great game to watch. Extremely impressed with the way the Gilmer defense played tonight. Cannot wait for next weeks state championship game. Go Buckeyes!!!  Let’s get one more win!!

• Like 1

Shout out to that Black Flag. Coach Edwards was a fluke play away from goose egging a Final 4 opponent. Fantastic job and MVP performance for the 🏴🏴🏴🏴🏴🏴🏴🏴

Gilmer didn’t have a good offensive game. But they did enough. Now, they have a week to straighten it out and go play 4 more quarters, 55 snaps or so of executing at a high level. As it should be to get you a ring! Unfinished business for these Seniors. But they are now the FIRST team to go to back to back Title games in school History. And congrats to Coach Metzel and this staff. Best start ever for a Buckeye Coach, and most wins in a 2 season span ever.

ONE MORE!!!!! Let’s Go Buckeyes!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Buckeyelove said:

I just want to know when are people gonna just admit that Gilmer is good and maybe people should look out for Gilmer instead of the other way around. Most teams get drove with the penalties that Gilmer get but yet Gilmer still win. Just because China beat Carthage does not mean China will suppose to beat giLmer. And have anyone located tcu44?  I’m ready for his loss prediction for Gilmer this week. 

I don’t think anyone (outside of TCU, lol) thinks that Gilmer isn’t a great team. Back to back state championship appearances, I mean c’mon? 

But having spent time for the last three weeks unwrapping just how good CS is and following them since they beat Carthage, it’s also just hard to imagine anything but them winning the championship this year. They are by far the most complete team I’ve personally seen this year. Of course Gilmer has a chance. But I think they have to play a clean, efficient game and not make the mistakes and mental errors it sounds like have plagued them this season. CS is really that good. But whoever wins this game will absolutely be deserving and a proud champion, that’s for sure. This is the two best teams on their respective side of the bracket. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JETT said:

Be honest, did you have Celina beating Gilmer?

Yes I picked Celina in the poll to win. I’ve said from beginning of the year after the Gilmer and Carthage game that Gilmer wouldn’t see any competition until the 5th round against Celina. IMO those were the only two actual good teams on tjheir side of the bracket. I just think that Carthage and CS side of the bracket has all the power houses. I picked Carthage vs Gilmer or Celina in state this year but after witnessing how good CS is after they beat Carthage there’s no way I think anyone will beat them. Nobody drove the ball on Carthage defense like they did and their defense is as good as their offense. I’m not saying Gilmer isn’t good but I think CS is just on a different level. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, michaelmyers said:

Yes I picked Celina in the poll to win. I’ve said from beginning of the year after the Gilmer and Carthage game that Gilmer wouldn’t see any competition until the 5th round against Celina. IMO those were the only two actual good teams on tjheir side of the bracket. I just think that Carthage and CS side of the bracket has all the power houses. I picked Carthage vs Gilmer or Celina in state this year but after witnessing how good CS is after they beat Carthage there’s no way I think anyone will beat them. Nobody drove the ball on Carthage defense like they did and their defense is as good as their offense. I’m not saying Gilmer isn’t good but I think CS is just on a different level. 

I hear ya... 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jubilant said:

Naysayers gonna nay.........Buckeyes gonna Buckeye. Im not saying we winning, but this will be a much more competitive gave than we played last year. These 2 teams should match up well. 

It should be a very good game. I could see it being one possession if both teams come out ready to play and neither let’s the moment be too big for them. I’d love to see a down to the wire, all out war in this one.

2 hours ago, michaelmyers said:

This the guy that always pick against us cause his cousin didn’t get to run the ball back in 2017 lol. Also he hasn’t been around since LE been per trash oh I forgot he roots for Carthage too he has like 2 or 3 teams lol 

• LOL! 1