Marlin (11-3) vs #5 Hawley (14-0)

lionpride08

Semifinals  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Marlin Bulldogs (11-3)
    • Hawley Bearcats (14-0)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/2021 at 01:00 AM

32 minutes ago, Playdefensefirst said:

I heard he moved back to Bremond and played for them this season.  I think he was a Texas commit.  

He did not move back to Bremond.. The house they rented got a lot of damage during the freeze which is another reason why they moved back to Marlin

Marlin graduate of 79, played under Brown L Smith and Kent Bachtel. I have coached in the Houston area for 35 years. Good to see the Bulldogs back. Got a coach who is getting them all back out and playing with discipline. Crawford at full strength would have battled Marline to a close game, but their quarterback went out two games previous, then against Italy their great jr. RB/Safety, punter/kicker got a severe high ankle sprain against their close win against Italy. Too many injuries doomed Crawford. Marlin is peaking at the right time with a fairly young team. If both teams play to their potential, Marlin by 14. But Hawley is a seasoned team use to going far. The newness of this LONG playoff run is the only detriment to the Bulldogs (besides Shiner). Experience in playoffs is so important and also I don't know how often Marlin has had to come from behind. GO DOGS

• Like 1

Hawley was very typical of the Region 1 winner. Well coached, disciplined, playing mistake free ball like a machine. Spreading the ball around with good athletes, not great but plenty enough of them. A pretty salty bunch. You can beat a lot more talented teams that way. I’ve seen it time after time. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bluetopper said:

I’m reading no good job Hawley, no reverence, no credit, no congratulations to Hawley whatsoever, wow. 

Oh no Hawley team and coaches did an outstanding job, it is called scoreboard which is why football is the greatest team sport. I was just critical of the management that the Marlin squad showed. Hawley DESERVED to win without a doubt. They are going to have that same type of game to beat Shiner. The only difference is Shiner is a seasoned team and coaching staff, but good luck and I am cheering fir you. Can’t get hurt feelings on social media as everyone explains from their viewpoint or perspective 👍🏻✝️🐻

On 12/10/2021 at 9:16 PM, Coachbearoso said:

I hate it when poor management leads to team failure. Again #4, Ohio St offered, was only allowed to touch the ball one time???

Part of the problem for Marlin getting the ball to #4 was they couldn't protect for those down field routes....

I have no dog in this hunt at all other than I spent a lot of time in west Texas growing up and I have cousins coaching in Region 1 and I’ve noticed the sentiment on Smoaky is those teams are not given the credit and frankly frowned  upon by many here. I’ll shut up now. 

21 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Part of the problem for Marlin getting the ball to #4 was they couldn't protect for those down field routes....

agree, but when your big dog aint getting fed, the bowl has to be put under his nose. I've seen them in wildcat (like for the 2 point conversion), he's come around for sweeps, lots of ways. Hey I am a Marlin grad, excited for the new coach and what they did. Marlin football affects so many young men and the town. My participation (and guidance by DC Kent Bachtel of Waco Midway fame) pushed me to a vocation of coaching 36 years in the Houston area. Sometimes we coaches (I did against state champ La Marque in the Dome) get caught up in a game plan and afterwards wish we would have done something else. Marlins future looks bright with the new staff and i'll continue to watch from Harris county and wear my purple and gold. Also, RIP to Dave Campbell, his magazine was my #1 read since 76. He without a doubt influenced high school football more than anyone worldwide. Also love your Friday show on Baileys, don't get it here in Houston like we use to when it was on FS1.

20 hours ago, bluetopper said:

I have no dog in this hunt at all other than I spent a lot of time in west Texas growing up and I have cousins coaching in Region 1 and I’ve noticed the sentiment on Smoaky is those teams are not given the credit and frankly frowned  upon by many here. I’ll shut up now. 

agree too, West Texas and South Texas don't get the coverage of the rest, but I think that Stepp and crew make a concerted effort to cover the whole state. It is like a mother dog feeding all her litter of 10, the bigger ones squeeze out the rest.