Sulphur Springs is open

Gipper

12 hours ago, BuckNut said:

Briles first, Abron second.

Crazy talk. Abron will be first on the list. There is a nice little list of possibilities for SS. It helps that they're dropping. If they can stay down for awhile then this has potential to be a good job. Owens did an outstanding job upgrading the facilities...they are top notch.

39 minutes ago, tomlandry said:

Would SS really consider this as a viable option? What's wrong with using same drive to pursue Abron? Did he leave on bad terms? Would be major hire but I may not have all info. 

15 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Four schools in four years? Idk. 

I feel like Briles is the new Strong. Linked to every job. No bad blood in SS for Abron. 4 schools in 4 years would normally be a red flag, but not in this case. Abron was at SS for a long time. Based on everything I've seen or heard all his moves have decent reasons with very little if any bad terms. PP's pay is awful so the move to Mexia was the best one for his family. Parents health was bad so Pitt was the best move for his family. SS is home and I would imagine a long time dream of his. I wouldn't blame him. SS doesn't run through coaches, this might not come open for him again. 

I do hate to see they didn't give the former head coach a chance at the 4A level. Really hard to win as the smallest school in 5A.  

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

I feel like Briles is the new Strong. Linked to every job. No bad blood in SS for Abron. 4 schools in 4 years would normally be a red flag, but not in this case. Abron was at SS for a long time. Based on everything I've seen or heard all his moves have decent reasons with very little if any bad terms. PP's pay is awful so the move to Mexia was the best one for his family. Parents health was bad so Pitt was the best move for his family. SS is home and I would imagine a long time dream of his. I wouldn't blame him. SS doesn't run through coaches, this might not come open for him again. 

I do hate to see they didn't give the former head coach a chance at the 4A level. Really hard to win as the smallest school in 5A.  

Well said. Listen to this SS administration.

I believe there would be a ton of coaches that would apply for this position.  Probably time Sulphur Springs think about hiring 5ADI and 6A OC or DC from any of these very successful programs in the DFW area. Pay them what they should be paid and develop a whole new regime.

A few things to consider,

-This current staff had possibly the most competitive 2021 football schedule in the State of Texas this year and for the most part they held their own. 

-This is one of the smallest enrollment sized districts in Class 5AD2

-School will possibly move to a 4A D1 with another possible very competitive district. 

-Whoever tries to fill the shoes of the former coach will be shadowed by the comparison of highly ethical character.  Certainly not a flaw, yet a good program built on that foundation.  A good problem to have, yet one that a new coach will need to maintain.