#2 Gilmer vs #5 China Spring 4A Div II UIL State Final Championship

Crawford

State Championship  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Gilmer Buckeyes (14-1)
    • China Spring Cougars (15-0)

This poll is closed to new votes

I really have no clue how this is going to go. I’ve seen some Carthage folks say CS is going to win and maybe by more than a possession…but I think this Gilmer team is a lot better than the one that started the season. 

There’s an extra level of motivation too for Gilmer having lost at state last year. 

I’ll give my thoughts and y’all advise where I’m wrong

D line - advantage CS

O line - Wash

QB - Gilmer slightly 

RB - ? CS starter left Cuero game early - adv Gilmer

WR - Gilmer except CS has one that’s better than all of Gilmers but as a unit Gilmer

LB - slight adv. CS

Safety - Wash but CS has one you just can’t throw at not sure if Gilmer has that please advise Gilmer folks 

Corner - Gilmer 

I’ll take my Cougars in a close one, can’t pick against em. Will have to play lights out

If Gilmer can stop all the penalties they can win the title. 
China Spring has the defensive speed to run with Gilmer. 
Their front seven and DB’S will be the best Gilmer has faced since Carthage. 
Gilmers offense is better than than Carthage this year and I expect them to play better. Gilmer needs a track meet to win this game. If China Spring forces Gilmer 3 and out on Gilmers side of the field 3 or 4 times, Gilmer in big trouble. 
Gilmers defense will have to play the best game they have played all year. 
when 2,4,5,8,18 and a big fast O line take the field you will know what I am talking about. I did not think any team could run or pass on the Dawg defense and they did. China spring does not have big offensive linemen like you normally think. They are tall and big, but no fat boys in this unit. They whip the Dawg d line on certain plays that allowed Major B or 4 to run for first downs. They don’t throw a lot but every pass he threw was right on the dang money even when the Dawg DB’S had them covered like a blanket and that was with a safety over the top. 
Gilmers offense will score, but they will have to have help from their defense. I am pulling for Gilmer, I truly believe Gilmer will be the best team China Spring has faced all year. 
China Spring has won the first Quarter in every game they have played and forced ever team to play from behind. If Gilmer can get ahead and force China Spring to play from behind, it will increase Gilmer’s chances. 
CS should be the favorite, but Gilmer has been in many championship games and that is their Ace in the hole. 

• Like 2

Think that the Carthage fans got this one wrong,sorry to disagree with you but gilmer got way better in offensive firepower later in the season,same mentally retarded bone headed penalties but way better..The bucs defense has finally found itself late and seems to be solid..my prediction? If gilmer plays a clean game they win by 21, if they have the same mental hiccups this week,China spring runs them out of the building.

The fluellen kid will be a match up problem even for cs,and tennasen didn't even really try to run the ball his self,which creates probs for linebackers in  coverage.

I can see gilmer running away with this game...And I can see China spring running the bucs out the building..Celina had no chance and gilmer showed it,9 false starts and Celina got on the board on silly broken play,bobcats had vaunted defense? Um no.  The best d gilmer has seen all year was carthages and I think the bucs learned from it 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

If Gilmer can stop all the penalties they can win the title. 
China Spring has the defensive speed to run with Gilmer. 
Their front seven and DB’S will be the best Gilmer has faced since Carthage. 
Gilmers offense is better than than Carthage this year and I expect them to play better. Gilmer needs a track meet to win this game. If China Spring forces Gilmer 3 and out on Gilmers side of the field 3 or 4 times, Gilmer in big trouble. 
Gilmers defense will have to play the best game they have played all year. 
when 2,4,5,8,18 and a big fast O line take the field you will know what I am talking about. I did not think any team could run or pass on the Dawg defense and they did. China spring does not have big offensive linemen like you normally think. They are tall and big, but no fat boys in this unit. They whip the Dawg d line on certain plays that allowed Major B or 4 to run for first downs. They don’t throw a lot but every pass he threw was right on the dang money even when the Dawg DB’S had them covered like a blanket and that was with a safety over the top. 
Gilmers offense will score, but they will have to have help from their defense. I am pulling for Gilmer, I truly believe Gilmer will be the best team China Spring has faced all year. 
China Spring has won the first Quarter in every game they have played and forced ever team to play from behind. If Gilmer can get ahead and force China Spring to play from behind, it will increase Gilmer’s chances. 
CS should be the favorite, but Gilmer has been in many championship games and that is their Ace in the hole. 

CS lost the first quarter to WOS then still blew them out by games end.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StangtilDeath said:

Any news on #4 from cs?

No. But 19 ran well in his absence. 4 breaks lots of tackles though. When LB’s manage to get off blocks he turns nothing into something. Need him back. 

19 can break tackles too but he’s more a speed back. Gilmer will keep him running inside 

7 minutes ago, CSMike said:

No. But 19 ran well in his absence. 4 breaks lots of tackles though. When LB’s manage to get off blocks he turns nothing into something. Need him back. 

19 can break tackles too but he’s more a speed back. Gilmer will keep him running inside 

10-4, hate to see kids go down especially the week before state.   He totes the rock well.

Man if Lorena gave them fits how y’all think we can’t. Also Our oline and offense is better then Carthage this yr and that’s where Carthage lost the game. If Carthage had an offense like they normally had CS wouldn’t of had a chance because it forced their defense to be on the field way too much. Let’s be for real it’s all about matchups and we know Carthage has had Gilmer number but let not act like they didn’t have 3 weeks to prepare for us and that Surratt is just so familiar with us that he knows what to expect. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Man if Lorena gave them fits how y’all think we can’t. Also Our oline and offense is better then Carthage this yr and that’s where Carthage lost the game. If Carthage had an offense like they normally had CS wouldn’t of had a chance because it forced their defense to be on the field way too much. Let’s be for real it’s all about matchups and we know Carthage has had Gilmer number but let not act like they didn’t have 3 weeks to prepare for us and that Surratt is just so familiar with us that he knows what to expect. 

China went up 21-0 on Lorena 

6/13 Lorena points were in garbage time. 

• Like 1

Matchups. Games are all about matchups. You saw Carthage handle Gilmer and get handled by CS. But 1+1 does not equal 2 here. Gilmer has the offense that Carthage didn’t have. They will be able to run the ball, maybe not for big gains, but enough. They will provide the QB with a little more time than Carthage was able to. And they have a qb who will throw the ball into the middle of the field. I don’t. Recall Carthage completing a single pass in the middle of the field. Even when the defense dared them to. CS secondary is good, but if the refs call some holding penalties back there it will open things up.

Now, don’t get me wrong, CS is more than capable of winning this game too. I think this may be one of the best games of championship weekend. I think it will be close. I’ll have to think on it before making my prediction.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JBizzle said:

Matchups. Games are all about matchups. You saw Carthage handle Gilmer and get handled by CS. But 1+1 does not equal 2 here. Gilmer has the offense that Carthage didn’t have. They will be able to run the ball, maybe not for big gains, but enough. They will provide the QB with a little more time than Carthage was able to. And they have a qb who will throw the ball into the middle of the field. I don’t. Recall Carthage completing a single pass in the middle of the field. Even when the defense dared them to. CS secondary is good, but if the refs call some holding penalties back there it will open things up.

Now, don’t get me wrong, CS is more than capable of winning this game too. I think this may be one of the best games of championship weekend. I think it will be close. I’ll have to think on it before making my prediction.

Facts anyone saying that we don’t have a chance just because CS beat Carthage is crazy. Carthage ran two man routes the whole night and was trying to force paddie the ball. CS hasn’t played a offense like ours all yr and I promise they haven’t seen a WR like fluellen. I also think by us playing on this stage will help too because we won’t be so shell shocked with it. This will be a great game that both teams can win it’s gonna be what team makes the least amount of mistakes that comes away with the victory.

10 minutes ago, CSMike said:

China went up 21-0 on Lorena 

6/13 Lorena points were in garbage time. 

Man it was 21-7 in the 3rd and also their QB had a lot of success throwing the ball against y’all. If you look at their schedule besides Carthage what offense have y’all faced, and we all know Carthage offense wasn’t what it normally is this yr.

11 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Man it was 21-7 in the 3rd and also their QB had a lot of success throwing the ball against y’all. If you look at their schedule besides Carthage what offense have y’all faced, and we all know Carthage offense wasn’t what it normally is this yr.

China Spring faced Lorena in the 2nd game of the year. I’m sure Gilmer is not the same team they were in week 2. China Spring will have the best defense Gilmer has seen this year and I have no doubt, Gilmer will be the best offense CS has seen. There’s a reason they are both in the championship! They’re good! Come on Friday! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Exactly

21 minutes ago, ChinaSpring1 said:

China Spring faced Lorena in the 2nd game of the year. I’m sure Gilmer is not the same team they were in week 2. China Spring will have the best defense Gilmer has seen this year and I have no doubt, Gilmer will be the best offense CS has seen. There’s a reason they are both in the championship! They’re good! Come on Friday! 

Let’s not pretend Lorena is a slouch 

“Lorena gave them fits so of course we will”

Lorena is playing for a state title this weekend too. They’d beat 75% of the 4A D2 playoff teams by double digits. 

• Like 1