State Championship  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Gilmer Buckeyes (14-1)
    • China Spring Cougars (15-0)

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

We heard the same thing about Celina lol 

I’ve been watching Gilmer all morning on film. Seems like they make mistakes and lack discipline but it doesn’t affect them.

They convert third and longs they put themselves in.

They snap the ball low but score a TD on the same play. 

They are experts at getting something out of broken plays. 
Play to the whistle will be huge for CS. Gilmer breaks tackles when they should be dead to rights. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CSMike said:

I’ve been watching Gilmer all morning on film. Seems like they make mistakes and lack discipline but it doesn’t affect them.

They convert third and longs they put themselves in.

They snap the ball low but score a TD on the same play. 

They are experts at getting something out of broken plays. 
Play to the whistle will be huge for CS. Gilmer breaks tackles when they should be dead to rights. 

This will be a dog fight for both teams that deserve to be playing in this game. If anyone says different on both sides they are delusional.

• Like 3

I'm rooting for the buckeyes.I watched CS and Cuero last night on texan live. I think Gilmer can pass on them if they can protect the QB

some.Gilmer will not stop CS from scoring at least 4 to 5 td's IMO...CS would go deep in 5A playoffs. Good luck Buckeyes !

3 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

We heard the same thing about Celina lol 

I was one of them, got an upset stomach with all the crow that I consumed! Lol I have watched China Spring play Carthage and WOS, they are pretty fast and athletic on both sides of the ball. CS made several mistakes early against WOS, then settled in and played their game. I have watched Gilmer play Carthage, Lindale, and Celina, we all know what they are capable of. If the penalties are an issue Friday, like they were against Celina, then I believe CS will capitalize on them. In a game of matchups, I give the defensive edge to CS. Both offenses offer a lot, I can't see one being that much greater than the team. Coaching adjustments will be a major factor also.

• Like 1

CS is an impressive team. Every guy on the field is going all out with their hair on fire, they know their assignment and they are knocking themselves out to do their job. They have good athletes across the board, and the staff is getting the most out of the talent they have. That is the key. The Cougars are playing as well as they are capable of playing since the Carthage win, and their confidence is sky high. The Cougars are playing their very best going into the Championship game.

I don’t think you can say the same about Gilmer. Defensively, the Black Flag has matched up two weeks in a row against smash mouth teams, and they have really stood up to it. Gilmer has the size and athleticism up front to compete with anybody, and the schemes have been perfect. The execution especially on the offensive side has not. The Buckeyes have to tackle the Cougars and get them off the field, but they match up well on that side of the ball.

Normally, holding an opponent to even 35 points would get the Buckeyes a W. Last night, the defense gave Gilmer opportunities to blow Celina completely out. That could have been a 3 TD each second and third quarter for Gilmer, but the Ferrari offense kept blowing tires. It wasn’t just uncharacteristic for the Gilmer offense, it was inexplicable. Just unforced error after unforced error. It was a mental thing, and yet the talent level still pulled Gilmer through. Big time players making big time plays in big time situations. But it was not even close to a “Best Effort” performance offensively. Bottom line is China Spring is going to have to keep playing their best to beat Gilmer and hope that is enough. For Gilmer to win, they are simply going to have to play their best game when it counts the most.

Just like AT&T is supposed to be. 16 weeks into the season, it’s right where it started. It’s #OvO.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CSMike said:

I really have no clue how this is going to go. I’ve seen some Carthage folks say CS is going to win and maybe by more than a possession…but I think this Gilmer team is a lot better than the one that started the season. 

There’s an extra level of motivation too for Gilmer having lost at state last year. 

I’ll give my thoughts and y’all advise where I’m wrong

D line - advantage CS

O line - Wash

QB - Gilmer slightly 

RB - ? CS starter left Cuero game early - adv Gilmer

WR - Gilmer except CS has one that’s better than all of Gilmers but as a unit Gilmer

LB - slight adv. CS

Safety - Wash but CS has one you just can’t throw at not sure if Gilmer has that please advise Gilmer folks 

Corner - Gilmer 

I’ll take my Cougars in a close one, can’t pick against em. Will have to play lights out

CS ... big advantage at QB 

• Like 2
  • LOL! 2
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Rabbs63 said:

Just saw pictures of CS and it appears they have pretty good size on both sides of the ball.

Carthage, PG and Celina are bigger than CS. The Cougars have a very deep set of really good athletes who play with their hair on fire for 48 minutes. They are not small by any means, but they are very fast to the ball. That is what impresses me. They get 100% out of the talent they have.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, buckeyefandom said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Not even close. China Spring has a good athlete who is playing QB. The best QB in the State two years running wears a G on his helmet. China Spring hasn’t seen a team with a real QB… yet.

70 to 14 and 28 to 7 ring a bell? He is an athlete but the best QB two years running is a huge stretch. With a good defense and pressure, the "real QB" is not as impressive.

• Like 1
  • Roll Eyes 1

Just now, CDAWG68 said:

70 to 14 and 28 to 7 ring a bell? He is an athlete but the best QB two years running is a huge stretch. With a good defense and pressure, the "real QB" is not as impressive.

I mean u have pointed out two games are you serious if that’s the case you can say Peyton manning wasn’t good if went off him playing the patriots lol

1 hour ago, buckeyefandom said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Not even close. China Spring has a good athlete who is playing QB. The best QB in the State two years running wears a G on his helmet. China Spring hasn’t seen a team with a real QB… yet.

I don’t think you can say Tennison was the best QB in 4A D2 last year.  Horton beat him twice head to head and put up big numbers doing it.  Tennison has the chance to go down as the best this year if he can win next week.  But the CS QB is an incredible leader that can literally put the team on his back if needed.  He is a Tim Tebow type player that runs their offense to perfection.  It should be a great game between two really good football teams.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

I mean u have pointed out two games are you serious if that’s the case you can say Peyton manning wasn’t good if went off him playing the patriots lol

True, that is why it's is a stretch to call someone the best. The state of Texas has some athletes, but I understand supporting your team! We have all seen stud athletes that stood out and and played at the next level. You don't have to label those players, their play defines them!

8 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

China Spring is going to get too much pressure on BT for Gilmer to win.

They said that about Celina tho didn’t they. I still say China springs not better than Carthage. If those two team played again Carthage would beat them by 2 tds in my opinion. I watched the whole game. Carthage just never got going. Just east to get complacent after what 40 straight wins 

1 minute ago, Buckeyelove said:

They said that about Celina tho didn’t they. I still say China springs not better than Carthage. If those two team played again Carthage would beat them by 2 tds in my opinion. I watched the whole game. Carthage just never got going. Just east to get complacent after what 40 straight wins 

No we wouldn’t, our defense was the best in all of 4A but our offense was no where as good as the past Dawg teams. Gilmer offense is way better this year than the Dawgs were. 
I don’t care how good your D is, you cannot go 4 and out all night and beat a Gilmer or a China Spring. The two best in the state will face each other next Friday. I say that with tears because this is the first time in years we are not playing in the semifinals. 
Gilmer needs to bring the trophy back where it belongs in East Texas. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Buckeyelove said:

It was all about game plan and execution. Carthage offense struggled several times this year, leaving the defense on the hook to pick up the slack. A good defense scheme wins games, that is plain and simple why CS won. It will be a great game Friday, looking forward to watching it in person.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Because the Carthage OL could not consistently block the CS DL.

The Dawg O line had one senior with experience the rest were 1 st time starters to go along with a QB also first time starter with both running backs, first time starters, tight end first time starter. Again the defense is the reason they went 12 and 1. 
I am anxious to see if China Spring can handle Gilmer receivers. 

• Like 1