State Championship  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Gilmer Buckeyes (14-1)
    • China Spring Cougars (15-0)

This poll is closed to new votes

26 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Carthage literally ran a bunch of trick plays against CS 

When what you try doesn't work, we all know the playbook has to open up in an attempt to get something going. If you run the same plays over and over and lose, then everyone starts trying to  throw the coaches under the bus. How many times have we read those comments on message boards?

Just now, cowboyandchrist said:

The Dawg O line had one senior with experience the rest were 1 st time starters to go along with a QB also first time starter with both running backs, first time starters, tight end first time starter. Again the defense is the reason they went 12 and 1. 
I am anxious to see if China Spring can handle Gilmer receivers. 

I am aware C&C.  Just answering the question as to why Carthage ran all the trick plays.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Buckeyelove said:

They said that about Celina tho didn’t they. I still say China springs not better than Carthage. If those two team played again Carthage would beat them by 2 tds in my opinion. I watched the whole game. Carthage just never got going. Just east to get complacent after what 40 straight wins 

The winning streak snapped by China Spring was 41. Liberty Hill snapped Carthage’s 40-game winning streak in the 2018 semifinals. That’s 81-2 over the past 83 games.

But that’s just trivia at this point. Carthage presently has a losing streak they will have to wait several months to snap.

Good luck to both teams in this year’s state championship game. May the better team win.

30 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

No we wouldn’t, our defense was the best in all of 4A but our offense was no where as good as the past Dawg teams. Gilmer offense is way better this year than the Dawgs were. 
I don’t care how good your D is, you cannot go 4 and out all night and beat a Gilmer or a China Spring. The two best in the state will face each other next Friday. I say that with tears because this is the first time in years we are not playing in the semifinals. 
Gilmer needs to bring the trophy back where it belongs in East Texas. 

That’s the goal 

5 hours ago, buckeyefandom said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Not even close. China Spring has a good athlete who is playing QB. The best QB in the State two years running wears a G on his helmet. China Spring hasn’t seen a team with a real QB… yet.

The CS QB is a war horse ... you will soon find out ....

• Like 3

I look for them undisciplined Buckeyes to play well, yea they'll make some mistakes but so will CS on the big stage, everyone has seen the Carthage game with CS, sorry but the Dawgs QB had an off night, some of the passes were not in the same zip code, say what you will but Tennison can throw darts, and he can do it under pressure, and i got a feeling you'll see him really use his legs Friday, un like most of the season, yes CS is good, but they have to stop alot of weapons on offense, that has really gotten on another level as the year has progressed, can Gilmer get a few stops, im gonna say yes, the defense has gotten better aswell, so gauging the Buckeyes on early season games, would be pointless, same with CS, or any other games both have played, games have to be played, and both are capable of winning this game, and anything can happen...I think you see Brandon Tennison use his legs and keep the chains moving, so give me the Bux by 14!  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

You should find some video of the Caddo Mills QB from last year.  He was all world, carried the team on his back, a real war horse, nobody would beat him, so everyone said, until CM bumped into Gilmer.  Bowden will give the Buckeyes fits, for sure, just gotta limit how much damage he does.  Gonna be a war on the field and I expect a close game.  Both teams have notable strengths, with only Gilmer's penalty issues being a significant weakness for either team.

48 minutes ago, house said:

CM qb was very good last year but nobody expected them to get as far as they did.

I’d also say that comparing 2020 CM to 2021 CS solely based on QB play is short sighted.  The Cougars have some talented players on both sides of the ball that don’t play QB.  As does Gilmer.  Should be a great game!

13 hours ago, MoveTheChain said:

You should find some video of the Caddo Mills QB from last year.  He was all world, carried the team on his back, a real war horse, nobody would beat him, so everyone said, until CM bumped into Gilmer.  Bowden will give the Buckeyes fits, for sure, just gotta limit how much damage he does.  Gonna be a war on the field and I expect a close game.  Both teams have notable strengths, with only Gilmer's penalty issues being a significant weakness for either team.

I’ve seen it. Last years CS team which is not nearly as good as this year would have beaten Caddo mills by 3 scores minimum. They are in a non competitive district so they look better on film than they are. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

He is a tough runner, athletic and a decent enough passer. But there are 136 D1 Programs out there. How many offers does he have at QB? Much respect to CS QB. Gilmer will have their hands full tackling him and CS offense will be a hand full for GILMER to stop. But as far as QB play goes, if he were suddenly playing for Gilmer, he would not take a snap at QB. Nor as the backup QB. Both of those guys for Gilmer have multiple D1 offers, they share the same last name, and one is a freshman. 

• LOL! 1

1 minute ago, buckeyefandom said:

He is a tough runner, athletic and a decent enough passer. But there are 136 D1 Programs out there. How many offers does he have at QB? Much respect to CS QB. Gilmer will have their hands full tackling him and CS offense will be a hand full for GILMER to stop. But as far as QB play goes, if he were suddenly playing for Gilmer, he would not take a snap at QB. Nor as the backup QB. Both of those guys for Gilmer have multiple D1 offers, they share the same last name, and one is a freshman. 

He may not play QB a all at the college level ... at the 4A high school level he is the best I have seen this year as a dual threat QB .... he might not fit into the Gilmer style offense, but he is a war horse iin the CS offense ... I would ride him into any state championship game to victory .....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, buckeyefandom said:

You do not need a D1 QB to win championships at the high school level. PG proved that. The CS QB is a baller, makes me think of a QB that played at PG. Athletic that knows how to win.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, buckeyefandom said:

Last I checked, having a D1 offer is not a requirement for winning a State Championship.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2021 at 3:36 PM, buckeyefandom said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 Not even close. China Spring has a good athlete who is playing QB. The best QB in the State two years running wears a G on his helmet. China Spring hasn’t seen a team with a real QB… yet.

WOW! I guess someone forgot about Klubnik and Weigman just to name a couple. And what about that freshman at Nort Shore? 

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2021 at 3:36 PM, buckeyefandom said:

He does a good job in the 4AD2 Gilmer system but the best in the state is crazy.

Proof.....https://247sports.com/Player/Brandon-Tennison-46108963/

Everything should be based on 2021 season. China Springs has beaten some great teams in the playoffs, while Gilmer has beaten a couple. China Springs beat Carthage by three touchdowns and Carthage beat Gilmer by three touchdowns. I think Gilmer has improved dramatically since playing Carthage and that's why I'm only picking China Springs by three touchdowns, 45-24.

18 minutes ago, Texlov said:

Everything should be based on 2021 season. China Springs has beaten some great teams in the playoffs, while Gilmer has beaten a couple. China Springs beat Carthage by three touchdowns and Carthage beat Gilmer by three touchdowns. I think Gilmer has improved dramatically since playing Carthage and that's why I'm only picking China Springs by three touchdowns, 45-24.

Ignorance never gets you anywhere

20 minutes ago, Texlov said:

CS beat Carthage by 10

1 hour ago, Texlov said:

China Spring 27 Dawgs 17 help me out here. That looks like one touch down and a field goal. 
your prediction is like your post stating CH beat the Dawgs by three touch downs. Wrong

17 hours ago, buckeyefandom said:

I imagine that if Bowden does not have a ton of offers its because of a few things that are beyond his control. 1) His lack of height.  2) he has played in a very run heavy offense for his high school career.  But when he does pass it is going to be right on the money 9 times out of 10.  He's very accurate and throws a good deep ball.  Anyways, he is apparently going to play at Lamar, for what it's worth.  

But like many others have said, none of the offers to any player on that field matter.  The only thing that will matter is how each unit matches up against the opponent and who wants it more.  I believe this could be the best game of the weekend. I certainly hope it is! Not having a dog in the fight, I'd love to see a down to the last play slugfest.  

• Like 1