Crawford

State Championship  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Gilmer Buckeyes (14-1)
    • China Spring Cougars (15-0)

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

I imagine that if Bowden does not have a ton of offers its because of a few things that are beyond his control. 1) His lack of height.  2) he has played in a very run heavy offense for his high school career.  But when he does pass it is going to be right on the money 9 times out of 10.  He's very accurate and throws a good deep ball.  Anyways, he is apparently going to play at Lamar, for what it's worth.  

But like many others have said, none of the offers to any player on that field matter.  The only thing that will matter is how each unit matches up against the opponent and who wants it more.  I believe this could be the best game of the weekend. I certainly hope it is! Not having a dog in the fight, I'd love to see a down to the last play slugfest.  

Get it straight. I think the kid is a fantastic HS Player. He is getting the most out of his ability, and those of his teammates. He is a proven winner, a gamer, he is tough and has a ton of heart. No question he has earned a ton of respect! But the response was to a quote that he will be the best QB on the field. That simply is. It an accurate statement. I don’t think he’ll be the 3rd best QB on the field. How whomever is playing the position for either team will certainly determine the outcome of the game. And I agree that will be a hard fought contest. But he likely won’t even be playing QB at Lamar. So don’t mix up 2 totally different arguments.

11 minutes ago, buckeyefandom said:

Get it straight. I think the kid is a fantastic HS Player. He is getting the most out of his ability, and those of his teammates. He is a proven winner, a gamer, he is tough and has a ton of heart. No question he has earned a ton of respect! But the response was to a quote that he will be the best QB on the field. That simply is. It an accurate statement. I don’t think he’ll be the 3rd best QB on the field. How whomever is playing the position for either team will certainly determine the outcome of the game. And I agree that will be a hard fought contest. But he likely won’t even be playing QB at Lamar. So don’t mix up 2 totally different arguments.

Oh I'm pretty sure I got it straight.  But you made it even more clear by saying he's not even the THIRD best QB on the field.  That just some straight up disrespect and dismissal of Bowden at QB.  

Whether he plays QB at Lamar or not, that doesn't mean he wont lead the cougars to win the title game this week against Gilmer and their roster full of all world quarterbacks.  You must be a real fun guy with that kind of attitude.  

• Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

Is this the only East Texas team to make the State finals (Gilmer) Man talk about beast football (yawn) (sarcasm) I love how you east texas folks talk about how good yall are and then boom only one team makes the state title game out of east texas. More teams out of Central Texas and DFW and south Texas every year. 

I get it Carthage makes it usually. 

China Spring 42

Gilmer 28

China Spring

Lorena

Franklin 

3 Teams winning state in Central Texas.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Allheartnoquit said:

Is this the only East Texas team to make the State finals (Gilmer) Man talk about beast football (yawn) (sarcasm) I love how you east texas folks talk about how good yall are and then boom only one team makes the state title game out of east texas. More teams out of Central Texas and DFW and south Texas every year. 

China Spring 42

Gilmer 28

China Spring

Lorena

Franklin 

I was gonna type a long response but just decided to go with LOL.

11 minutes ago, Allheartnoquit said:

China Spring 42

Gilmer 28

China Spring

Lorena

Franklin 

Most years, 4A and 3A from East Texas represent well in the Title Games, but you are right, majority of other classes, year in, year out are better represented by other parts of the state.

35 minutes ago, Allheartnoquit said:

China Spring 42

Gilmer 28

China Spring

Lorena

Franklin 

Just for reference what do you consider East Texas, Central Texas, and South Texas?

A narrow definition of East Texas is anywhere pines grow in the wild. There are broader definitions, but in terms of population, it is a very small percentage of the state. So even having only one team out of a dozen playing would still be proportional to our share of the Texas population and maybe even more than proportional.

• Like 1

I do not think it really matters who the RB or QB is for either team. The winner of this game will control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Celina had a huge offensive line, but they were slow. The CS offensive line are big quick guys that will give the Gilmer defensive line their biggest test. On the defensive side, CS has very good size with quickness. The two teams matchup well and should be a great game.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 8:05 AM, CSMike said:

I really have no clue how this is going to go. I’ve seen some Carthage folks say CS is going to win and maybe by more than a possession…but I think this Gilmer team is a lot better than the one that started the season. 

There’s an extra level of motivation too for Gilmer having lost at state last year. 

I’ll give my thoughts and y’all advise where I’m wrong

D line - advantage CS

O line - Wash

QB - Gilmer slightly 

RB - ? CS starter left Cuero game early - adv Gilmer

WR - Gilmer except CS has one that’s better than all of Gilmers but as a unit Gilmer

LB - slight adv. CS

Safety - Wash but CS has one you just can’t throw at not sure if Gilmer has that please advise Gilmer folks 

Corner - Gilmer 

I’ll take my Cougars in a close one, can’t pick against em. Will have to play lights out

cs has one heck of a strong (fg kicker)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

Oh I'm pretty sure I got it straight.  But you made it even more clear by saying he's not even the THIRD best QB on the field.  That just some straight up disrespect and dismissal of Bowden at QB.  

Whether he plays QB at Lamar or not, that doesn't mean he wont lead the cougars to win the title game this week against Gilmer and their roster full of all world quarterbacks.  You must be a real fun guy with that kind of attitude.  

Brandon is a very good high school QB but how many DI QB do you see Brandon’s size. I don’t think he is even 6ft tall. I think both are outstanding QB at this level but I guess we will have to wait and see about the next level. 

3 hours ago, Allheartnoquit said:

China Spring 42

Gilmer 28

China Spring

Lorena

Franklin 

4A DI and DII has been dominated by East Texas for the last 15 years or longer. 
Carthage 8 titles since 2008

Gilmer

Pleasant Grove 2 in the last five years

Chapel Hill

Henderson

Kilgore

Liberty E. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Brandon is a very good high school QB but how many DI QB do you see Brandon’s size. I don’t think he is even 6ft tall. I think both are outstanding QB at this level but I guess we will have to wait and see about the next level. 

If you are going to be a D1 QB on the next level, you better have some size. If not, you should have a skill set that is way above average, ie: Kyler Murray. 

27 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

You do know the heisman trophy winner is not 6’0 tall

China Spring didn’t play the toughest schedule, but they DID win the toughest Region. Wins against Carthage and WOS make them the favorites to win the championship IMO. Just a great team playing great football on both sides of the ball. For Gilmer to win, the defense will need to play just as good or BETTER than they did against Celina, and the offense will need near perfect play. If the game is close in the 3rd, I think Gilmer’s experience will take over. I’ll take the Buckeyes by 3 with a game winning FG in the closing seconds!!

All see all the time is how Brandon is a athlete and this and that and he’s to little to play Qb at the next level. It’s crazy to me that he gets so much hate be continues to do great things. Everyone wants to judge him off the Carthage games but not all the other games he has played. How many QBs can say that they have taken their team to a state championship in their two yrs of starting not many.