Crawford

State Championship  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Gilmer Buckeyes (14-1)
    • China Spring Cougars (15-0)

This poll is closed to new votes

11 hours ago, michaelmyers said:

Like I said before. Gilmer had a cakewalk to state. They beat up a bunch of teams that couldn’t fight back. They bullied their way through everyone of them. Well they made it to state and finally got bullied back. Like I said before there were 4 or 5 teams on Carthage’s side of the bracket that would have been in the state championship. They would have beat Gilmer no doubt. Good season to the buckeyes but I’m sorry y’all didn’t play anyone. 

I'm gonna keep it 💯 keep it a buck...the better team won between Gilmer and CS... But IMHO the only tough valid teams were CS, Carthage, and Gilmer nobody else besides those two would've beaten my Buckeyes everybody else was weak

On 12/13/2021 at 11:05 AM, buckeyefandom said:

Get it straight. I think the kid is a fantastic HS Player. He is getting the most out of his ability, and those of his teammates. He is a proven winner, a gamer, he is tough and has a ton of heart. No question he has earned a ton of respect! But the response was to a quote that he will be the best QB on the field. That simply is. It an accurate statement. I don’t think he’ll be the 3rd best QB on the field. How whomever is playing the position for either team will certainly determine the outcome of the game. And I agree that will be a hard fought contest. But he likely won’t even be playing QB at Lamar. So don’t mix up 2 totally different arguments.

^^ This dude went flat MIA! What a "fan!"

• LOL! 2

15 hours ago, CSMike said:

Revised final rankings 4A D2 (my opinion)

1. China Spring

2. Carthage 

3. Gilmer (insert Lorena here if they were 4A)

4. WOS / Celina 

6. Pleasant Grove

7. Van

8.  Caddo Mills / Cuero

10. Take your pick on this one 

CS beat Lorena this season also, right?

3 hours ago, Gonenutz said:

I'm gonna keep it 💯 keep it a buck...the better team won between Gilmer and CS... But IMHO the only tough valid teams were CS, Carthage, and Gilmer nobody else besides those two would've beaten my Buckeyes everybody else was weak

It’s nice that everyone has the right to their own opinion. Thanks for sharing yours 👍🏼

20 minutes ago, BuckNut said:

Hats off to Coach Metzel.  People can say what they want, but 28 wins in 2yrs ain’t nothing to hang your head about.  The Buckeyes will be right back at it next year.  We are proud to have Coach Metzel in Gilmer.

No, that’s amazing and I would hope no one would be clamoring for a different head coach. I don’t even know what could or should be done differently. I think the Bucks have just had an unfortunate matchup in the two championship games with two teams who were not going to be beaten. 

• Like 5

I did see where Tennison has been playing with an torn MCL. I did notice a knee brace on the knee. Not sure it would have mattered but I would have liked to have seen him at 100%. He rushed for over a 1,000 yards or close to it last year. I saw a couple times to where he could have tucked it and ran for some first downs plus some. I’ve watch a lot of football and he was one of the best throwing on the run as well. I assume he would have been one of the fastest players on the field as well. I do however know that CS was without their starting RB as well and know that probably would have made a difference as well. I hate that these two were not all the way healthy for the state title. I am aware that the better team won Friday. 

On 12/18/2021 at 12:35 AM, CSMike said:

Revised final rankings 4A D2 (my opinion)

1. China Spring

2. Carthage 

3. Gilmer (insert Lorena here if they were 4A)

4. WOS / Celina 

6. Pleasant Grove

7. Van

8.  Caddo Mills / Cuero

10. Take your pick on this one 

I would put WOS 4, Van 5, Celina 6, & PG 7. Van was more balanced than Celina or PG. 

17 hours ago, BuckNut said:

Hats off to Coach Metzel.  People can say what they want, but 28 wins in 2yrs ain’t nothing to hang your head about.  The Buckeyes will be right back at it next year.  We are proud to have Coach Metzel in Gilmer.

Metzel is a great coach and an even better person.  Don’t know how many other Texas HS Football coaches are also pastors. 

China Spring was just better than everybody else this year. Plain and simple. Congrats to them on a state championship. Cherish it. I know y’all’s whole town must be ecstatic!

Great season Buckeyes. Back to back trips on the state final is nothing to hang your head about. Will be right back in it next year. GATA this off-season.

My Dawgs have some more retooling to do for the 2022 season. Should be another great year. But expectations will need to be tempered a little bit. Obviously its championship or bust every year in Carthage and the offense should be much improved with another year in the system and a lot returning. But pretty much entire D is gone. Or at least a large chunk of it. But reinforcements are on the way and soon!! Might see some freshman on the Varsity next year. Got a couple back to back special classes coming!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CasualObserver70 said:

I would put WOS 4, Van 5, Celina 6, & PG 7. Van was more balanced than Celina or PG. 

Celina would have rolled Van. They don't matchup well with Gilmer.  Never have. They would have matched up much more to their favor against Van. 

Tennison’s knee injury was huge.  He was not a dual threat QB all thru the playoffs and all QB run plays were eliminated.  Imagine if CS had to eliminate all their QB run plays and Tennison was 100 percent able to run. That said Tennison is a warrior, leading his team to the state championship while needing knee surgery.