#2 Gunter vs #1 Franklin 3A Div II State Championship

wingtveer

State Championship  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Gunter Tigers (15-0)
    • Franklin Lions (15-0)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/17/2021 at 01:00 AM

15 minutes ago, GTAlumnus said:

I think you can throw out size as a real factor.  Both state championship games Gunter won in 2016 and 2019 were against teams that where much bigger.  Most of the teams we play are bigger.  Part of this is by design - coach likes quickness over size.  The defense is very quick and those big boys find it hard to get a block on them. Not only on the lines but the skill players for  Gunter's opponents are bigger too.  Should be a great game and I know neither team will go down without a fight.

When we played 4A Sunnyvale and Div 1 Pilot Point and Whitesboro they looked like they were in a bigger division which they were.  But 59-6 Pilot Point, 43-7 Sunnyvale, and 28-6 Whitesboro were the results.  All of these multi-round playoff teams.  Most our playoff games the other team was bigger, including Roosevelt.

Yes you have a valid point. But I think this Franklin team is very fast too. Even in the trenches and on the perimeter. Again, not saying Gunter can’t/won’t win. I am pulling for them. Just think this opponent is a lot better than Boling and Pewit. This is the BEST offensive team I think Gunter has had. It’s gonna come down to whether the D can keep Franklin to a reasonable score. 

• Like 1

I will say this about Gunter at this deep point in the playoffs -- you can almost always tell before the end of the first quarter how the game is going to go. They have played nine semifinal or title games and in seven of them it was pretty obvious what the outcome would be -- win or lose.

If you have a question of how their defense or offense will do against a certain opponent, it doesn't take more than three or four drives to see how things play out.

History doesn't mean anything of course -- but it is an interesting trend -- and I do think these are the two best teams left standing.

• Like 3

Just some tidbits :

Franklin opponents have played in 158 other games, and only in 9 of those games did their opponent score fewer points than they did against Franklin (5.7%).  Only 5 times in those 158 games did their opponents allow more points than Franklin scored on them (3.2%).

Gunter opponents have played in 164 other games, and in only 3 have those opponents scored fewer than they did against Gunter (1.8%) and in 11 of those games did their opponents allow more than Gunter scored on them (6.7%).

Only considering district and playoff games :

Franklin's opponents have played 114 other games and 5 times their opponents scored fewer than Franklin allowed (4.4%) and only twice in those 114 games did opponents allow more than Franklin scored on them (1.8%).

Gunter's opponents have played 120 other games and only twice did those opponents score fewer than Gunter allowed (1.7%) and 5 times did they allow more than Gunter scored (4.2%)

Only considering playoffs :

Franklin's opponents in 57 other games scored fewer than they did against Franklin twice (3.5%) and twice did those opponents allow more than Franklin scored (3.5%).

Gunter's opponents in 60 games never scored fewer than Gunter allowed to them, and never gave up more points than Gunter scored on them.

In Franklin's 15 games, 5 times has Franklin both held those opponents to the fewest they scored all year AND scored the most points that team allowed all year.  In Gunter's 15 games, 10 times they both held the team to their lowest output of the season and scored the most that team allowed all season.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JasonDellaRosa said:

I will say this about Gunter at this deep point in the playoffs -- you can almost always tell before the end of the first quarter how the game is going to go. They have played nine semifinal or title games and in seven of them it was pretty obvious what the outcome would be -- win or lose.

If you have a question of how their defense or offense will do against a certain opponent, it doesn't take more than three or four drives to see how things play out.

History doesn't mean anything of course -- but it is an interesting trend -- and I do think these are the two best teams left standing.

I guess that is true.  An exception is probably the 2019 game against Canadian.  They got up on us 17-3 in the first half I think.  Ultimately we outscored them 24-3 to end the game and win 27-20. 

Gunter coaches are good with adjustments however.  The 2019 season began with us down 21-0 to Daingerfield and we won this game and the state championship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTAlumnus said:

I guess that is true.  An exception is probably the 2019 game against Canadian.  They got up on us 17-3 in the first half I think.  Ultimately we outscored them 24-3 to end the game and win 27-20. 

Gunter coaches are good with adjustments however.  The 2019 season began with us down 21-0 to Daingerfield and we won this game and the state championship.

That was one of the two. It was 17-3 but it got to 17-10 at half and was 17-13 after the opening drive of the second half.

The other was 2018 vs Canadian, only because it was such a low-scoring game between two great defenses that it was close enough that one drive here or there made the difference.

5 hours ago, GTAlumnus said:

Then there’s 2017. Led the game until late in the 3rd. Then gave up 26 unanswered to the figs and lost 40-16. 
Cute misdirection ball worked for a while. But the better team emerged. What a game to watch! One of the few times I’ve enjoyed being at jerry’s place. 

35 minutes ago, LSUTigahs said:

Then there’s 2017. Led the game until late in the 3rd. Then gave up 26 unanswered to the figs and lost 40-16. 
Cute misdirection ball worked for a while. But the better team emerged. What a game to watch! One of the few times I’ve enjoyed being at jerry’s place. 

Yeah there is that.  Pretty good Newton team as I recall.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 2:20 PM, LSUTIGERS said:

Total yards from last night.

Waskom 318 rushing -5 passing = 313

Franklin 338 rushing 41 passing = 379

I think Gunter's D will keep Franklin in check if they are that one dimensional.  I'm picking GT

• Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 12:28 PM, wingtveer said:

Gunter’s pistol offense is explosive. So many different players getting touches. They do a lot of stuff with the offense. They are aggressive on defense. They read their keys and get to the ball in a hurry.  Giving credit, Franklin is very good with the slot-t and they swarm on defense. 
im going with Gunter by 15+. 
TPW !!

variables (1) Gunter’s passing game. (2) turnovers (3) adjustments 

Lions also spread the ball around?, and are aggressive on defense and get to the ball in a hurry.

2 hours ago, ObiOne said:

I think Gunter's D will keep Franklin in check if they are that one dimensional.  I'm picking GT

No 1 in D2 is keeping the lions in check man.... nothing wrong with being the #2 in state but franklin is just on another level 

I do think it'll be a good game for a couple quarters 

6 minutes ago, JETT said:

No 1 in D2 is keeping the lions in check man.... nothing wrong with being the #2 in state but franklin is just on another level 

I do think it'll be a good game for a couple quarters 

You may be right.  But 41 yards passing won't do it against Gunter.  I say they will need at least triple that or they will lose.  Should be a good game.  We will see in a few days

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

You may be right.  But 41 yards passing won't do it against Gunter.  I say they will need at least triple that or they will lose.  Should be a good game.  We will see in a few days

They haven't needed to pass to dominate teams

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

Didn't dominate Waskom

That was a damn good game, and nothing against waskom cause they are a well coached team, but franklin was just better.. waskom made plays when it mattered to make it interesting at times, but you could tell it was just a matter of time b4 franklin was going to take over that game... waskom had a 80 something yard run early by #7 for 6 and a 60 yard run  by the QB early 3rd... other than that franklin stopped them from scoring... waskom is a damn good team and I've watched them 3 times this year in the playoffs and they usually score at will with #7, #20, #15, #23... IMO #7 is waskoms best player and other than that 84 yard I believe option they ran he was almost silent and it's hard to stop him... I think it'll be good thru halftime... I'm sticking with 35-14 lions

Good luck to both these schools, both deserving to be on the big stage

• Like 2