#2 Gunter vs #1 Franklin 3A Div II State Championship

wingtveer

State Championship  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Gunter Tigers (15-0)
    • Franklin Lions (15-0)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/17/2021 at 01:00 AM

1 hour ago, JETT said:

I'm witnessing it... 

I’ll eat crow now. Congrats to Franklin. Awesome team. Congrats to Gunter as well. IMO these were definitely the two best in the state.  I love those tigers and already look forward to next season.  Franklin was a tough lot to deal with. 

• Like 1

The better team won.  Gunter never stopped Franklin.  I do not believe a Franklin drive ended without a score unless Franklin either turned it over or committed a penalty that put them behind the chains.  It became obvious to me that if Franklin ever got a two score lead, it would be insurmountable.  Gunter needed to go tit for tat and they did.  Just couldn't sustain it into the 4th. Good game to both teams.  Congrats to Franklin for a deserved championship.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Pax said:

The better team won.  Gunter never stopped Franklin.  I do not believe a Franklin drive ended without a score unless Franklin committed a penalty that put them behind the chains.  It became obvious to me that if Franklin ever got a two score lead, it would be insurmountable.  Gunter needed to go tit for tat and they did.  Just couldn't sustain it into the 4th. Good game to both teams.  Congrats to Franklin for a deserved championship.

I agree pax. Franklin could possibly be the best team in all of 3a, d1 as well,  especially with that juggernaut backfield. Kudos to them. I do have to brag on our tigers for the performance they gave. Nothing to hang heads about. Put 35 on a great team.  Coach Fieszel and his staff have an elite program building in Gunter. Lots of youth that contributed. Also, thanks again to you Pax for all your efforts and analysis. 
already looking forward to next year. 

1 hour ago, wingtveer said:

I agree pax. Franklin could possibly be the best team in all of 3a, d1 as well,  especially with that juggernaut backfield. Kudos to them. I do have to brag on our tigers for the performance they gave. Nothing to hang heads about. Put 35 on a great team.  Coach Fieszel and his staff have an elite program building in Gunter. Lots of youth that contributed. Also, thanks again to you Pax for all your efforts and analysis. 

I always enjoy running the numbers, and I appreciate the feedback.  Going back and looking at my original analysis, when running the best 3 games by each team, I got a Franklin win 48-35.  That's the game we saw, so it appears - at least on paper - that's what we got.  Couldn't ask for a better state championship game than the #1 and #2 playing their best game and it coming out almost exactly like the numbers predicted.  At least that's the story I'm sticking with ;)

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 12/12/2021 at 2:26 AM, JasonDellaRosa said:

I will say this about Gunter at this deep point in the playoffs -- you can almost always tell before the end of the first quarter how the game is going to go. They have played nine semifinal or title games and in seven of them it was pretty obvious what the outcome would be -- win or lose.

If you have a question of how their defense or offense will do against a certain opponent, it doesn't take more than three or four drives to see how things play out.

History doesn't mean anything of course -- but it is an interesting trend -- and I do think these are the two best teams left standing.

This turned out to be the case.  You knew almost immediately that Gunter was gonna need to go score for score to have a chance.  It felt like holding Franklin to a 5 yard gain was a success.  Gunter just couldn't stop the big play, and Franklin got a couple more stops.  That was the difference.

• Like 1

It was a great game and the better team won.  Gunter couldn't stop Franklin.  Their only chance was to hope for a break and outscore them.  Two missed opportunities for Gunter in my opinion.  Gunter should have onside kicked after the personal foul on PAT.  Worse case Franklin gets the ball at the 35 instead of the 25 which they did after you kicked the ball out of the end zone.  10 yards of field position for a chance at a turnover and great field position is a no brainer in my view.

Second play I'd do different is go for it on 4th and 6th from the 45 when only down 7 points in the 4th.  You have to take a chance and not give the ball back to Franklin.  What is the downside?  Franklin scores a little quicker and you have more time to do your thing.  Those two plays probably aren't enough to flip the outcome but you never know. 

Great season to both teams.  Great representatives of 3AD2.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wingtveer said:

Well they did beat the D1 champ lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, darktower said:

didnt want to rub it in too bad LOL..  If the other team can never stop the run passing becomes irrelevant.... 590 yards rushing on a really good defensive team is impressive 

Yea. And the 523 they actually had is impressive too. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 1:39 PM, randomuser said:

I said Franklin 31 Gunter 17. I don’t have Gunter scoring 21. Ive seen both teams play and on film. Gunter has speed but they don’t have Franklin speed. And Franklin didn’t have Waskom speed. That showed on Waskom’s 2 long TD runs. Franklin defense did a good job making Waskom run horizontally and not vertically. As a coach myself and not a HS handicapper I just think Franklin will be tough to beat. And oh yeah I wish I had a lot of Franklins players on my team but if I could just choose one I’d take #15 in a heart beat. That dude can play and I know a couple of Franklin’s coaches and they say not only is he a great player he’s an even greater kid.

I was off on the score but had Franklin by 14. What a game I saw at The Death Star last night. What a game?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

Yes someone told me 590 last night but it was the unofficial number but they did break the rushing record with 523.. Old record was help by 2012 East Bernard of 511

24 was just a few yards from breaking game record but he was wore out. 

2 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

Yes someone told me 590 last night but it was the unofficial number but they did break the rushing record with 523.. Old record was help by 2012 East Bernard of 511

Pretty amazing y'all set a rushing record against Gunter.  Gunter defense was no joke and their first team only gave up a handful of scores all year.  Franklin got some bad dudes!

• Like 2