Dallas South Oak Cliff

cujoforlife

4 hours ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I know they got stripped of the title but the 88 team from Carter was a beast! Freaks everywhere!

Yes, I knew that so not mentioned.  Great team…. but armed robbery by multiple players deserves to be stripped. Sad because that was such a great team ruined by a few players. Jessie Armstead was a fabulous player on that team, great NFL career, and now a NY Giant executive. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

I wasn’t. I know parents move their kids around up here. That is nothing new.

It’s like a high school transfer portal out there. All you have to do is move in, wait 15 days, and you’re eligible as long as prior school signs off. 

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yes, I knew that so not mentioned.  Great team…. but armed robbery by multiple players deserves to be stripped. Sad because that was such a great team ruined by a few players. Jessie Armstead was a fabulous player on that team, great NFL career, and now a NY Giant executive. 

All of that happened after they won right? 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 9:40 PM, Grainraiser said:

People want to know why Skyline has fallen off, it's because those players are staying in Oak Cliff and playing for SOC.

Maybe.   Skyline fell off after 2015 when Samples left.  SOC has been winning 9-10 games a year since 2007

But, other than Wilson and SOC, all the DISD schools all terrible, and you probably won't see Oak Cliff kids at Wilson, so you probably right.  They all flocking to SOC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt said:

It’s like a high school transfer portal out there. All you have to do is move in, wait 15 days, and you’re eligible as long as prior school signs off. 

yea. thats how it is in the metro areas.  But to be honest, it happens at other good football programs across the state.  Winning will bring kids to the program. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 10:34 PM, JTFAN99 said:

Maybe.   Skyline fell off after 2015 when Samples left.  SOC has been winning 9-10 games a year since 2007

But, other than Wilson and SOC, all the DISD schools all terrible, and you probably won't see Oak Cliff kids at Wilson, so you probably right.  They all flocking to SOC.

No maybe to it. If your a kid who lives in Dallas proper and you want some D1 offers were are you going to go. Samples was known as coach who got kids to the next level. 90% of his players came from Oak Cliff which was possible because Skyline is a magnet school. Skyline downfall really started when SOC hired Samples OC Emmit Jones. Coach Jones keep alot of these kids at SOC instead of them going across town to Skyline. When Samples moved to Duncanville those Oak Cliff kids had zero reason to go to Skyline and simply stayed at their home school. 

4 hours ago, Grainraiser said:

No maybe to it. If your a kid who lives in Dallas proper and you want some D1 offers were are you going to go. Samples was known as coach who got kids to the next level. 90% of his players came from Oak Cliff which was possible because Skyline is a magnet school. Skyline downfall really started when SOC hired Samples OC Emmit Jones. Coach Jones keep alot of these kids at SOC instead of them going across town to Skyline. When Samples moved to Duncanville those Oak Cliff kids had zero reason to go to Skyline and simply stayed at their home school. 

Skyline went to state semifinals in 2014, which was actually both Samples last yr and Duncanville and Jones last yr at SOC.  Skyline still had good teams after Jones went to SOC.

I will agree that he is part of the reason SOC is good, but Kendal Miller was the coach at SOC before him and he won 10 games every yr. I would probably give him more credit, but Jones kept it up.  It also doesn't hurt that Kimball and Carter ain't what they used to be.  

Liberty Hill is going to be tough because of that unique offense but I saw how they couldn't keep up with LBJ and I think SOC is more loaded.  I think SOC can score on them all day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTFAN99 said:

Skyline went to state semifinals in 2014, which was actually both Samples last yr and Duncanville and Jones last yr at SOC.  Skyline still had good teams after Jones went to SOC.

I will agree that he is part of the reason SOC is good, but Kendal Miller was the coach at SOC before him and he won 10 games every yr. I would probably give him more credit, but Jones kept it up.  It also doesn't hurt that Kimball and Carter ain't what they used to be.  

Liberty Hill is going to be tough because of that unique offense but I saw how they couldn't keep up with LBJ and I think SOC is more loaded.  I think SOC can score on them all day. 

SOC will be ready. Duncanville is and was the best team they played all year. I believe they are truly prepared for Libery Hill. 

• Like 2

On 12/12/2021 at 7:56 PM, Matt said:

The robberies had nothing to do with them being stripped.  It was stripped before those even happened.  They used an ineligible player who had his grade changed by a teacher after the principal forced him to.  They were kicked out of playoffs but kept filing injunctions to keep them in.  After winning state the ruling by the UIL was upheld and they were stripped of the title.

Doesn't take away the fact that they won it.

• Like 3

On 12/12/2021 at 10:29 PM, EazyMoney said:

I believe so, but they were still in high school when the crimes were committed.   A couple of them had D1 offers.  Not too smart.  That team had 3 future NFL players also.  

Couple? They had like 20 kids off that team that played College ball and seems like 7 or 8 played D1. The safety that signed with Tennessee got caught up in it along with the RB. 

5 hours ago, coachc45 said:

The robberies had nothing to do with them being stripped.  It was stripped before those even happened.  They used an ineligible player who had his grade changed by a teacher after the principal forced him to.  They were kicked out of playoffs but kept filing injunctions to keep them in.  After winning state the ruling by the UIL was upheld and they were stripped of the title.

Doesn't take away the fact that they won it.

Ah, that’s right! Now I remember. Good recall. 

• Like 2

On 12/12/2021 at 7:56 PM, Matt said:

…… but armed robbery by multiple players deserves to be stripped…..

I’m not 100% sure…. So I wouldn’t die on this hill…. BUT…..

I think Carter was stripped for playing ineligible players.  Several players had failed algebra and the principal forced the teachers to change their grades to 70’s. 

The robberies were criminal,  but not within UIL’s jurisdiction to strip.   The grade scandal however was ultimately what took the title from them. 

But don’t quote me on that. 

That Carter team beat Marshall in the state quarterfinals on a Hail Mary with less than a min left in the game.

WR Odell Beckham Sr and QB Benny Valentine were phenomenal that game. Almost pulled off the stunning upset. 

That play call gives me chills. Every. Single. Time. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I’m not 100% sure…. So I wouldn’t die on this hill…. BUT…..

I think Carter was stripped for playing ineligible players.  Several players had failed algebra and the principal forced the teachers to change their grades to 70’s. 

The robberies were criminal,  but not within UIL’s jurisdiction to strip.   The grade scandal however was ultimately what took the title from them. 

But don’t quote me on that. 

That Carter team beat Marshall in the state quarterfinals on a Hail Mary with less than a min left in the game.

WR Odell Beckham Sr and QB Benny Valentine were phenomenal that game. Almost pulled off the stunning upset. 

That play call gives me chills. Every. Single. Time. 

It was just 1 kid that got grade changed.

Wasn't a Hail Mary.  They called a dump pass to TE on goalline and Jesse Armstead inserted himself into the game and caught the pass to beat Marshall.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coachc45 said:

It was just 1 kid that got grade changed.

Wasn't a Hail Mary.  They called a dump pass to TE on goalline and Jesse Armstead inserted himself into the game and caught the pass to beat Marshall.

One too many.  But it seems like it was more than one according to the book FNL.  

I guess that fish got bigger as the years have gone by.  I was always told it was like a 40 yard pass. I was a kid…I certainly don’t recall. I just remember losing and it was awful. 

FNL isn't the best source.  The truth is only one guy, Running back Gary Edwards, had failed Algebra and the principal made the teacher change the grade.  They were reported and UIL disqualified them from playoffs.  A group of parents filed an injunction that a Dallas court upheld allowing them to continue playing.  After the Championship game they withdrew the complaint and the title was stripped.

Armstead did catch a jump ball, but it was only about an 5 yard pass.

Yep Gary Edwards is the one who's grade was changed. He had signed with Baylor and he was one of the kids involved in the robberies. After serving time played for Texas Southern and his career ended there.  Derric Evans was the parade all american safety for Carter who signed with Tennesse. He was considered the second best player behind Jessie Armstead. He was the ring leader of the robberies and got 20 years. Leshai Matson was one of the linebackers and played in the NFL. That defense was not dominate but they were uber talented. Robert Hall was the QB for that team and we on to play for Texas Tech. He was OC for Horn before they went belly up. I was hoping he would be named head coach but he quit a year before Overton retired.