#1 LBJ vs #2 Stephenville 4A Div I UIL State Final Championship

Crawford

State Championship  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• LBJ Jaguars (15-0)
    • Stephenville Yellow Jackets (15-0)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/17/2021 at 05:00 PM

2 hours ago, MattStepp said:

Are you saying LBJ is not well coached?? I would have to disagree if you believe that....

100% Yes. 
It’s not that they are poorly coached, but certainly not “well coached”. They have superior talent to anyone in the classification and play in one of the weakest divisions in the state, yet they are lucky to still be alive and they won’t win next week. There are many programs in the state with far superior coaching staffs than LBJ. 

1 hour ago, trashyhound said:

Why is the poll for this game 17-0 in favor of s,ville if LBJ is “well coached”?

Is stephenville more talented?

So to clarify you are using a poll of a bunch of fans on a message board to quantify who is a better team or who is more well coached?? 

By the way Stephenville is ABSOLUTELY more talented than LBJ up front on both sides of the ball...Stephenville's LBs IMO are also better than LBJ's

1 hour ago, trashyhound said:

100% Yes. 
It’s not that they are poorly coached, but certainly not “well coached”. They have superior talent to anyone in the classification and play in one of the weakest divisions in the state, yet they are lucky to still be alive and they won’t win next week. There are many programs in the state with far superior coaching staffs than LBJ. 

And maybe you are right but what specifics do you see from the LBJ coaches that makes you think they aren't "well coached"? Are they not sound in their schemes? Do you not agree with their play calling on either side of the ball? I'd be curious what has brought you to that conclusion? 

15 hours ago, JugLine said:

He doesn’t impress me as a coach. Anyone that allows there kids to mouth and they sideline to act the way they did yesterday has zero discipline imo

Out of curiosity. What does that have to do with his x's and o's? Just because you don't like the shenanigans, that doesn't mean he is not a good coach. Undisciplined teams don't make it to state championships. They get beat along the way. You have to be disciplined to make it this far. They said the same thing about Jimmy Johnson and his Miami Hurricanes. We know how that turned out. I don't agree with all the extracurricular activities. But that doesn't mean their team is not well coached. 

• Thanks 1

SOC talks more than anyone I've seen in a few years....but they are dang sure well coached, their schemes are outstanding, the kids execute well and they rarely make mistakes...first thing Lubbock Cooper's HC told me pre-game was that he was incredibly impressed with how well coached that team was

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, VonG said:

Out of curiosity. What does that have to do with his x's and o's? Just because you don't like the shenanigans, that doesn't mean he is not a good coach. Undisciplined teams don't make it to state championships. They get beat along the way. You have to be disciplined to make it this far. They said the same thing about Jimmy Johnson and his Miami Hurricanes. We know how that turned out. I don't agree with all the extracurricular activities. But that doesn't mean he their team is not well coached. 

I guess I’m just old school. A good coach will be good with the X’s and O’s and teach the young men how to act. I don’t know many college coaches that will tolerate it. It’s a reflection of the community i believe too. The LBJ fans were yelling all kinds of mess before entering the stadium. I’m sure some are parents and i guess it’s the only way the kids know how to act. Yes they beat us in a hard fought game so kudos to the kids. Just not impressed with the actions as a school in whole. Coaching for allowing it, players and fans acting like i don’t know what. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JugLine said:

I guess I’m just old school. A good coach will be good with the X’s and O’s and teach the young men how to act. I don’t know many college coaches that will tolerate it. It’s a reflection of the community i believe too. The LBJ fans were yelling all kinds of mess before entering the stadium. I’m sure some are parents and i guess it’s the only way the kids know how to act. Yes they beat us in a hard fought game so kudos to the kids. Just not impressed with the actions as a school in whole. Coaching for allowing it, players and fans acting like i don’t know what. 

I'm middle school. I'm not old or new. I'm stuck somewhere in between. I definitely feel y'all.

You said something right there. Kids act like their parents. 

1 hour ago, JugLine said:

He doesn’t impress me as a coach. Anyone that allows there kids to mouth and they sideline to act the way they did yesterday has zero discipline imo

The same coach blew a 28-7 lead to Lindale in the semis last year. I watched the game......they called a garbage second half.  For what it's worth.....

55 minutes ago, VonG said:

Out of curiosity. What does that have to do with his x's and o's? Just because you don't like the shenanigans, that doesn't mean he is not a good coach. Undisciplined teams don't make it to state championships. They get beat along the way. You have to be disciplined to make it this far. They said the same thing about Jimmy Johnson and his Miami Hurricanes. We know how that turned out. I don't agree with all the extracurricular activities. But that doesn't mean he their team is not well coached. 

I can answer that question for you. 
Any coach that allows that kind of stuff has no discipline. If your team has no discipline, how can you know they can or will grasp your play book. 
Look at the teams that continue to show up every year at the state championships. 

There is one thing for certain LBJ has some monster kids out there. Big athletic kids all over the field. I cant imagine stephenville being bigger in the trenches or anywhere for that matter. They had several kids going both ways. Seemed to me like there numbers are way down. Hardly any kids on the sidelines. Any going back to 5a next season. 

14 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

I can answer that question for you. 
Any coach that allows that kind of stuff has no discipline. If your team has no discipline, how can you know they can or will grasp your play book. 
Look at the teams that continue to show up every year at the state championships. 

Apparently they did grasp the playbook. That's why they are playing for a state championship next week. 

2 minutes ago, VonG said:

Apparently they did grasp the playbook. That's why they are playing for a state championship next week. 

And i think we will see how a disciplined team handles them next week. 

They have enough pure athletes to make it deep with any of us coaching. Lol

So to clarify you are using a poll of a bunch of fans on a message board to quantify who is a better team or who is more well coached?? 

By the way Stephenville is ABSOLUTELY more talented than LBJ up front on both sides of the ball...Stephenville's LBs IMO are also better than LBJ's

No not at all, just that the masses have a pretty good track record at picking these games correctly, even on lowly ol smoaky.com. 
I’ll disagree that Stephenville is more talented. By talent I’m referring to God given tools; bigger, stronger , quicker faster,etc…

More talent as in better skilled and better at playing the game of football i credit to coaching. 
I agree with you that Stephenville is “better “ in certain areas, but very few of those are God given. Most areas where Sville has an advantage are from good coaching imo.

And maybe you are right but what specifics do you see from the LBJ coaches that makes you think they aren't "well coached"? Are they not sound in their schemes? Do you not agree with their play calling on either side of the ball? I'd be curious what has brought you to that conclusion? 

In short, I see pretty basic schemes that rely MOSTLY on just being better athletes than their opponent. Then, almost zero in-game adjustments. 

That said, credit to them in that they’re playing  for all the marbles next week. That counts for something. 

I just feel if Scott Surratt had their talent that the longhorns and Aggies could be in trouble against LBJ. 

14 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

In short, I see pretty basic schemes that rely MOSTLY on just being better athletes than their opponent. Then, almost zero in-game adjustments. 

That said, credit to them in that they’re playing  for all the marbles next week. That counts for something. 

I just feel if Scott Surratt had their talent that the longhorns and Aggies could be in trouble against LBJ. 

If you have better athletes at the skill spots I think its good coaching to not get cute and let your dudes be dudes?? Seen a lot of coaches get in their own way a bunch of times, I'd much prefer basic schemes that are executed well than exotic schemes that are poorly executed.

I will say on that last play of the game they put in a fourth WR for the first time in the game and lined him up off-set which may have been what prevented any safety help over the top on the 1v1 side and that was the first time LBJ did that in the game that I noticed...and they called that set and formation out of a timeout...seemed like a good play call and execution there to me

• Like 2