#1 LBJ vs #2 Stephenville 4A Div I UIL State Final Championship

Crawford

State Championship  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• LBJ Jaguars (15-0)
    • Stephenville Yellow Jackets (15-0)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/17/2021 at 05:00 PM

1 hour ago, MattStepp said:

If you have better athletes at the skill spots I think its good coaching to not get cute and let your dudes be dudes?? Seen a lot of coaches get in their own way a bunch of times, I'd much prefer basic schemes that are executed well than exotic schemes that are poorly executed.

I will say on that last play of the game they put in a fourth WR for the first time in the game and lined him up off-set which may have been what prevented any safety help over the top on the 1v1 side and that was the first time LBJ did that in the game that I noticed...and they called that set and formation out of a timeout...seemed like a good play call and execution there to me

Oh i agree with the idea of staying simple until someone stops it. BUT, they have also benefited from 4AD1 being unusually weak the last two years. They haven’t faced many teams with great coaching.  They lost to Lindale last year (coaching not dudes got them beat). And i think they’ll lose to Stephenville also, all the while being more talented. 

6 hours ago, trashyhound said:

100% Yes. 
It’s not that they are poorly coached, but certainly not “well coached”. They have superior talent to anyone in the classification and play in one of the weakest divisions in the state, yet they are lucky to still be alive and they won’t win next week. There are many programs in the state with far superior coaching staffs than LBJ. 

but LBJ beat Liberty Hill (who is in the 5a div.2 championship) and a very good LaVega team, and Parish Episcopal (who won TAAPS Div.1)    That's alot of good well coached teams they beat.

I think Stephenville will be a tough challenge for them, but that doesn't mean LBJ isn't well coached.

4 hours ago, JugLine said:

I guess I’m just old school. A good coach will be good with the X’s and O’s and teach the young men how to act. I don’t know many college coaches that will tolerate it. It’s a reflection of the community i believe too. The LBJ fans were yelling all kinds of mess before entering the stadium. I’m sure some are parents and i guess it’s the only way the kids know how to act. Yes they beat us in a hard fought game so kudos to the kids. Just not impressed with the actions as a school in whole. Coaching for allowing it, players and fans acting like i don’t know what. 

College coaches will tolerate anything under the sun if the player is good.  Have you not seen how many kids get in trouble from the football team on college campuses?

3 hours ago, trashyhound said:

In short, I see pretty basic schemes that rely MOSTLY on just being better athletes than their opponent. Then, almost zero in-game adjustments. 

That said, credit to them in that they’re playing  for all the marbles next week. That counts for something. 

I just feel if Scott Surratt had their talent that the longhorns and Aggies could be in trouble against LBJ. 

You want them to run double reverse passes out the swinging gate formation?  

8 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

but LBJ beat Liberty Hill (who is in the 5a div.2 championship) and a very good LaVega team, and Parish Episcopal (who won TAAPS Div.1)    That's alot of good well coached teams they beat.

I think Stephenville will be a tough challenge for them, but that doesn't mean LBJ isn't well coached.

Agreed, they’ve beat some great teams but was it because of coaching or dudes? I think it’s both, but more so the dudes they have. 

Who do you think is better coached, LBJ or Stephenville?

8 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

You want them to run double reverse passes out the swinging gate formation?  

I don’t care what they run, it’s worked well for them so far. 
But when chapel hill stopped their ability to just run past everyone what did they do to win? Jump ball, jump ball, jump ball. You can call that great coaching if you want but I’ll ask you this: When you watched LBJ how many times do you say “wow what a play!” Vs “wow, what a play call!”? 

14 hours ago, MattStepp said:

If you have better athletes at the skill spots I think its good coaching to not get cute and let your dudes be dudes?? Seen a lot of coaches get in their own way a bunch of times, I'd much prefer basic schemes that are executed well than exotic schemes that are poorly executed.

I will say on that last play of the game they put in a fourth WR for the first time in the game and lined him up off-set which may have been what prevented any safety help over the top on the 1v1 side and that was the first time LBJ did that in the game that I noticed...and they called that set and formation out of a timeout...seemed like a good play call and execution there to me

3 hours ago, trashyhound said:

Agreed, they’ve beat some great teams but was it because of coaching or dudes? I think it’s both, but more so the dudes they have. 

Who do you think is better coached, LBJ or Stephenville?

For what it's worth...I thought clock management was questionable by both teams in the Chapel Hill / LBJ game.

I am not stating that they have poor coaches because nobody plays in the Semis without some form of good coaching. I do think that they are both heavily reliant on getting athletes the ball and letting them make the plays. Neither team is "out-scheming people" in my opinion. That is also a sign of not trying to be too cute as a play-caller.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trashyhound said:

I don’t care what they run, it’s worked well for them so far. 
But when chapel hill stopped their ability to just run past everyone what did they do to win? Jump ball, jump ball, jump ball. You can call that great coaching if you want but I’ll ask you this: When you watched LBJ how many times do you say “wow what a play!” Vs “wow, what a play call!”? 

Do you expect WR to be 10 yards open every play.   Other teams have good players and coaches too.  A 0-0 game could be a well coached game too.  Maybe Chapel Hill came with a great Defensive game plan to counter LBJ.   Football is a game of chess.   

LBJ coach son died just a couple weeks ago. He is out there coaching with a heavy heart and he has his team in the state championship.   Just having better players don't get you this far.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Do you expect WR to be 10 yards open every play.   Other teams have good players and coaches too.  A 0-0 game could be a well coached game too.  Maybe Chapel Hill came with a great Defensive game plan to counter LBJ.   Football is a game of chess.   

LBJ coach son died just a couple weeks ago. He is out there coaching with a heavy heart and he has his team in the state championship.   Just having better players don't get you this far.

Ok, we’ll agree to disagree. 

LBJ is loaded with player talent, but their coaching is average at best. 

congrats good luck to everyone this week. 

I've watched LBJ several times this year and have been impressed with their coaches.  It is not easy coaching in the inner City.  They do not have the advantages that most suburb teams have.  They deal with academic issues, kids with very little home life, the lure of "the easy way"..... many other things many don't know about.  They also deal with inferior facilities, coaching while teaching large class-loads in a high stress environment.  

I think the coaching has been outstanding!  Getting those kids, with those #s to the state championship game is awesome! 

People have raved about the job SOC has done this year, and deservingly so.  They have a great story.  LBJs story may be even better.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, coachc45 said:

I've watched LBJ several times this year and have been impressed with their coaches.  It is not easy coaching in the inner City.  They do not have the advantages that most suburb teams have.  They deal with academic issues, kids with very little home life, the lure of "the easy way"..... many other things many don't know about.  They also deal with inferior facilities, coaching while teaching large class-loads in a high stress environment.  

I think the coaching has been outstanding!  Getting those kids, with those #s to the state championship game is awesome! 

People have raved about the job SOC has done this year, and deservingly so.  They have a great story.  LBJs story may be even better.

This comment made me look at it from a different perspective. You are correct. We don’t know what these coaches have to go through daily. Good point. 

If the 3rd qtr is LBJs sweet spot, that sounds like adjustments being made at half which is a sign of good coaching to me. Also knowing how and having plays to get the ball in your playmakers hands is a sign of coaching. Stephenville defense vs LBJ offense on paper this has the making to be a great clash to me.

I've got Stephenville winning by 21.....at least.  The Jackets will control the lines on both sides of the ball, shut down the run game, and their LB's and secondary will make it very difficult for the QB Oscar Gordon, III.  Gordon is the key to the LBJ offense, if you ask me.  He's smooth, a good thrower, can run, and generally makes good decisions.  But with some pressure on him......and Stephenville WILL put tons of pressure on Gordon......this game will be in the hands of Lambert & Co most of the game.  Time of possession will easily go to the Jacket offense.......mark my words.  That means scoring opportunities......lots of them.

1 hour ago, lex23 said:

and did you have them beating Hirschi by 21 as well?  I do agree that size of the line at SJ could be a problem.. I dont see a blowout though and I hope Im right

Not having seen Hirschi.......that game surprised everyone.  Hirschi was VERY impressive!  Hirschi might be able to give LBJ all they want.  My analysis of Stephenville stands from their schedule against teams like Paris, Heritage, Argyle, and Melissa......not Hirschi.  Both teams made some big plays in that game, but Stephenville did control the LOS on both sides of the ball.  That HIrschi RB Peterson was just a very talented RB, and then their team speed was also impressive.  Probably played their very best game of the season in that game also......which Stephenville did not.  

The Jackets do not have any weaknesses......they are the complete team this season for sure.  They have the good throwing and running QB in Lambert, the big WR/Athlete/DB in Eakin, the other quality big WR in Elston.....who is also a great punter/but could run with it so watch out!  They have the big good TE/Kicker Polston......he can kick it into the endzone and kick 45 yd field goals. Heckuva TE and defensive LB too.  Two very good gashers at RB, the soph Maruska and Iribarren the junior.  Behind that big, tall, strong  and fast o-line, this Stephenville offense is tough to stop consistently......they WILL score in all kinds of ways. They are diverse and versatile on offense for sure.  On defense......man these guys are good!  The LB's, the secondary guys, the D-line......ALL of them are big, tall, strong, and fast.  They do have one big boy on the D-line #79 Gavyn Sharp(6-3/315/Sr) that is amazingly quick for his size.  They have another 300+ guy on the O-line #65 Logan Davis(6-5/327/Sr/T) that can also get it done.  This season's Stephenville Yellowjackets are truly "loaded".......no doubt about it.  Their closest game was against a very well-coached and athletic Argyle team......which was a come-from-behind victory in the last possession, but then held Argyle's offense in the last 2 mins. for the win......21-17 in a thriller.

In close games......you can bet your boots that this season's Stephenville Yellowjackets will NOT beat themselves with unforced errors and penalties.  But they will force some mistakes and turnovers against their opponent, and then they know how to capitalize on those.  They are a very well-coached team with great team chemistry and play together as well as any team in any classification.

Its a no win conversation but i like a good argument, even if LBJ wins, you will come back and say the better team did not win that day just like the Chapel hill fans are saying..  but an unbeaten season, including beating Tapps champs Parish and Liberty hill , who could also be champs.. feels like you might be overlooking LBJ altogether here. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coachc45 said:

Agree with some points BUT academic issues , little home life, ‘easy way” inferior facilities and many other things are not just confined to the “inner city”.