#1 LBJ vs #2 Stephenville 4A Div I UIL State Final Championship

Crawford

State Championship  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• LBJ Jaguars (15-0)
    • Stephenville Yellow Jackets (15-0)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/17/2021 at 05:00 PM

There is no doubt that LBJ is a top team in 4A this season.....regardless of how this SC title game ends up.  BOTH teams have earned their way to get to this game and therefore both teams are deserving of high praise.  Obviously, LBJ has some stellar athletes too.....like Anderson at RB and Leary at WR/Kick returner......the fastest guy on the field.  I've already mentioned Oscar Gordon, III at QB.  LBJ also has some talented Big Boyz on the lines and a very good defense.  I'm just saying that IMO this season's Stephenville team may also have been able to defeat that LH slot offense and the Parrish Episcopal QB......good high quality teams for sure.  Credit LBJ for scheduling top tier teams early in their season......and then winning those tough matchups.

But in this game......given the fact that both teams have unblemished records and have proven they should be here......I'm just looking at the matchup part of the equation.  I think what LBJ brings to the table as some of their best assets can be countered by Stephenville that may not have been the case in a matchup against another top tier team LBJ has already defeated.  

2 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

But in this game......given the fact that both teams have unblemished records and have proven they should be here......I'm just looking at the matchup part of the equation.  I think what LBJ brings to the table as some of their best assets can be countered by Stephenville that may not have been the case in a matchup against another top tier team LBJ has already defeated.  

I could be totally wrong......and that's why this game will be so exciting to watch.  Nobody really knows....do they???

can the stephenvile secondary really hang with the LBJ wr speed.. no way you can leave those guys on an island with them. I like the stephenville front 7 for sure.. but i dont see them having the secondary speed..and Alexander at RB has been almost unstoppable all year,  you gotta pick your poison if you are stephenville 

1 minute ago, lex23 said:

can the stephenvile secondary really hang with the LBJ wr speed.. no way you can leave those guys on an island with them. I like the stephenville front 7 for sure.. but i dont see them having the secondary speed..and Alexander at RB has been almost unstoppable all year,  you gotta pick your poison if you are stephenville 

The quick and simple answer is a resounding  YES.  IF they hung with Melissa's and Argyle's speedy wideouts, then they can hang(most of the time on most plays) with the speed of LBJ.  Now nobody can hang all of the time with Lear, but they already recognize that and will try to do some things to prevent Lear from burning them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, regaleagle said:

The quick and simple answer is a resounding  YES.  IF they hung with Melissa's and Argyle's speedy wideouts, then they can hang(most of the time on most plays) with the speed of LBJ.  Now nobody can hang all of the time with Lear, but they already recognize that and will try to do some things to prevent Lear from burning them.

Argyle has speedy wideouts?

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 11:40 PM, regaleagle said:

Edited by CrankyOldMan

On 12/13/2021 at 11:16 PM, regaleagle said:

When it all comes down to it.......the difference in 4A-D1 and 5A-D2 among the elite teams is very minor.  The whole of 5A-D2 is much better than the whole of 4A-D1, but not among the top teams in both classifications.

Edited by CrankyOldMan

9 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

Agree with some points BUT academic issues , little home life, ‘easy way” inferior facilities and many other things are not just confined to the “inner city”.

I agree that those are problems everywhere, but having coached inner city, suburbs, and small rural schools..... trust me when I say the challenges are different.  The hallways in schools like that are crazy..... I could go on and on.  If you haven't been there you can't understand.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Footballalltheway said:

I guess we will see next year but I think a team like Argyle and others that are moving up will take a couple of years to be legitimate contenders.  Its not just about the top end talent but having 600+ extra kids to choose from also creates substantially more depth.  

Both Argyle and Melissa are moving up.  Argyle came in at 1342 and I believe Melissa reported about 1315 or somewhere thereabouts.  That magic number ended up being 1300 for 5A-DII.  Both teams will be competitive in district play, but may not play for a regional title for years......esp. in the DFW region.  BUT maybe they can and will.....very soon again.  Sometimes it just takes a very good QB hooked with some good skill players and good lines.  Both teams already have good programs and high participation rates for football.  And winning legacies that go deep.  I don't foresee Coach Rodgers leaving anytime soon.......now he will have a new set of challenges in a bigger, more competitive arena.

And by the enrollment numbers......LBJ will stay 4A-D1.  So it appears their program is definitely on the rise......as evidenced by these last two years.  Kaufman stays, but Terrell moves back up.  La Vega stays, and I believe China Spring along with Celina move up to Division 1 in 4A.  Carthage came in at 800......880 was the magic number for D-1 in 4A. Looks like Athens may also be moving up to D-1 next season......they came in as the low number at 889 in D-1 4A.  But I'm not sure if the preliminary numbers turned in are "official" yet.

12 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

And by the enrollment numbers......LBJ will stay 4A-D1.  So it appears their program is definitely on the rise......as evidenced by these last two years.  Kaufman stays, but Terrell moves back up.  La Vega stays, and I believe China Spring along with Celina move up to Division 1 in 4A.  Carthage came in at 800......880 was the magic number for D-1 in 4A. Looks like Athens may also be moving up to D-1 next season......they came in as the low number at 889 in D-1 4A.  But I'm not sure if the preliminary numbers turned in are "official" yet.

LBJ has opted up. They will in 5A-D2. That move really makes no sense to me but guess Austin ISD wanted them 5A. About this LBJ-SVille game .. my gut just tells me LBJ wins in shootout. Something like 46-42

1 minute ago, Texski said:

LBJ has opted up. They will in 5A-D2. That move really makes no sense to me but guess Austin ISD wanted them 5A. About this LBJ-SVille game .. my gut just tells me LBJ wins in shootout. Something like 46-42

That is a very real possibility Texski.......LBJ can be explosive.  But I'm gonna stick with Stephenville keeping them from doing what they have been doing in almost every game.....scoring lots of points.  IF this game gets into a shootout early, then that favors LBJ.  But if by halftime the scoring is held down, then that should indicate that Stephenville has been able to defend the big plays and speed of LBJ.  Stephenville will grind its opponents into the dirt the whole game.....they will just stick to what they do best......and make it very tough on their opponent. They will cause turnovers, and then find a way to score or get premium field position and keep it until they do score.

I think both teams have decent kickers......Stephenville actually a premium kicker AND punter.  I would not be surprised to see a few  field goals in this game.  It could come down to a field goal for the win. IF this game is tight in the 3rd, then Stephenville will not hesitate to opt for the points. They believe in their defense and lines to get the job done.

IF LBJ jumps out to a 2-3 score lead by halftime, then Stephenville definitely has the offense and the defense to come back......both teams do.  The difference is that Lambert is really a better runner than Gordon, III, and has better passing ability too.  He can throw very accurately on the run, and is really an RB with the ball.  Containing Lambert with a spy will leave someone open for Lambert, and he's good at seeing the field on the run. Pressure is really not a big issue with him.....he will simply take off with the football and either keep it or throw it if he sees an open receiver, no problemo.  He can escape most linemen with his speed.

Both Eakin and Elston are bigtime tall receivers that know how to go get the football.....excellent catching abilities and both with speed for their size.....they are impressive. Both have been offered D-1 scholarships also.....and rightly so. The LBJ secondary will have its hands full defending against these two players and against the run at the same time......look for this scenario to play out over and over as this game progresses.  

11 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Argyle has speedy wideouts?

Oh Yeah......just go back and look at some filmclips.  Ward McCollum #11 is a speed merchant for sure, and will burn you before you can turn around.  And so is #24 Riley Page......faster than McCollum.  #5 Hayden Stewart and little brother #6 Lance Stewart are also track stars.....and then you have the Felton twins too.  Argyle had more speed than most teams they faced.....maybe all of them.  Melissa had some speed too......but maybe not as many as Argyle did. But Argyle doesn't beat you with speed at the wideout.....they beat you at positions on the field and then burn you long.  But for pure speed......yeah they got plenty on offense and defense.

Another issue inner-city schools deal with is mostly little support from admin, incredible amounts of red tape to get ANYTHING done and non-existent feeder patterns from the middle schools....

Those issues and the other issues listed are not limited to inner city schools, but combined they are almost always commonplace in inner city schools

LBJ is moving up due to proximity, 

2 hours ago, Texski said:

they are moving up due to proximity, the AISD schools they will be in district with are all much closer them..makes complete sense.

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

IF LBJ jumps out to a 2-3 score lead by halftime, then Stephenville definitely has the offense and the defense to come back......both teams do.  The difference is that Lambert is really a better runner than Gordon, III, and has better passing ability too.  He can throw very accurately on the run, and is really an RB with the ball.  Containing Lambert with a spy will leave someone open for Lambert, and he's good at seeing the field on the run. Pressure is really not a big issue with him.....he will simply take off with the football and either keep it or throw it if he sees an open receiver, no problemo.  He can escape most linemen with his speed.

Lambert threw 2 picks last week.. pressure  is a problem, He is a good QB and can extend plays, but he makes mistakes as well..and don't let Gordons deceptive speed and pass first mentality fool you, kid ran for 100 yrds last week.  both defenses will have their hands full