#1 LBJ vs #2 Stephenville 4A Div I UIL State Final Championship

Crawford

State Championship  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• LBJ Jaguars (15-0)
    • Stephenville Yellow Jackets (15-0)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/17/2021 at 05:00 PM

3 hours ago, regaleagle said:

And by the enrollment numbers......LBJ will stay 4A-D1.  So it appears their program is definitely on the rise......as evidenced by these last two years.  Kaufman stays, but Terrell moves back up.  La Vega stays, and I believe China Spring along with Celina move up to Division 1 in 4A.  Carthage came in at 800......880 was the magic number for D-1 in 4A. Looks like Athens may also be moving up to D-1 next season......they came in as the low number at 889 in D-1 4A.  But I'm not sure if the preliminary numbers turned in are "official" yet.

Athens is already in 4A-1 there in the same district with Kilgore and Doom brothers 

I definitely think the speed of LBJ at their skill positions will pose some problems for Stephenville.  But I also think Stephenville's lines on both sides of the ball will allow them some leverage against that speed.  The LB's for Stephenville are all excellent......they have been all year long.  Stephenville's secondary has not been burned that often, but a few times by a few teams during a game.  Argyle was able to do it on the 2nd play from scrimmage for a 65 yarder, but then the rest of the game they tightened up the coverages.  So LBJ may be able to score on the secondary of Stephenville, but not enough that Stephenville will not be able to counter it.

I just don't see LBJ's offense being able to "go off" against Stephenville's defense very easily.  My thinking is this game will end up in the 35 range for the winner......a close game the whole way.  But I would not be surprised if Stephenville "went off" on LBJ for some big scores offensively.  Just depends on how many turnovers happen and how much passing LBJ attempts.  But from what I've seen of LBJ......they are most definitely gonna throw the ball.  That D line and those LB's for Stephenville will make running the football very tough.

Stephenville beat a very good passing team in Heritage......that has an outstanding throwing QB.  Then they also defeated a very good Argyle team.....barely.  But they did win at the end.  And then they basically manhandled Melissa until Melissa got 2 TD's late in the 4th when the game was pretty well decided. Those are some quality offensive teams.....Argyle and Melissa both with very good defenses as well.  Yes......I think Stephenville's secondary will be able to handle what LBJ can throw at them......literally.

Then along came Wichita Falls Hirschi......what a surprise. They were able to cause some problems for Stephenville with some athletic plays and a darn good secondary.  I must say I am still very impressed with that Hirschi team and the game they played against Stephenville.  The matchup was difficult for Stephenville......so maybe this matchup against LBJ will also be difficult for Stephenville.  But I'm going with the odds.  Odds are that Stephenville will be more ready for LBJ than they were for Hirschi.......and Hirschi actually prepared Stephenville more for what they will see against LBJ.