2021 UIL State Championships vs NCAA Bowl Game Attendance Thread

LoboFan07

12 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

That is so cool about the David Barron article. I’ll have to dig around and see if I can find it!

I have the game film! My mom was the team videographer at that time (my brother was a junior and the starting center with Brian Gamble at QB!) and so we have all the film (Refugio game the week before too! I’ve rewatched that one! Lol). AND believe it or not I never watched the Celina state game film. The biggest memory I have from that game is the sheer agony of defeat with my brother face down on the star devastated after the 4 point loss……when we could have so easily been on the winning side (3 days before Christmas to boot!). It was an awesome, exciting game for sure. BUT DANG. Heartbreaking.

Fun side story: So my dad and the booster club had had “STATE CHAMPS 1995” caps made to hand out after the game….yep I know. Bit them in the butt. FAST FORWARD to 2006….my dad had kept a few of those caps and taken the “1995” stitching off of them. When we WON that state championship game in 2006 he pulled that cap out and PROUDLY put it on his head!!! WE WERE STATE CHAMPS and even if it wasn’t his son who was on the team, we couldn’t have been more proud! It was a RELIEF! And a memory I’ll never forget. It was VERY COOL to win the next year and go back to back. Just wish we had a play or two back at that Celina game….it was a battle for the ages!

I think when I’m at my mom’s at Christmas I’ll get that old VHS out and watch it. Might sting still but surely not as much. Lol

I also had a copy of that video along with one a Celina fan sent me back awhile that i met on another forum. Unfortunately they been stored away after moves and I'm sure neither of them work along with State softball championship games. That Refugio game almost got me, but it showed just how tough Alto was that year. All year leading up to that game, Alto had never trailed at halftime. Very very intense moment 4th down play for the Bobcats. Score tied (7-7) Penetrations tied, first downs tied, total yards almost equal. One offsides by Alto would have given the Bobcats a trip to State Championship. Man I can see it as I type this. 39 seconds on the clock. Our defense led by Gamble broke through the line at snap of the ball put pressure on the QB he lofted a pass over Gamble to a play that had burned us earlier. Charles Morgan jumped in front of the receiver, and returned it all the way untouched and no flags for winning TOUCHDOWN!! The Alto side erupted, and I couldn't even stand up to holler because my legs were jello and I was shaking so bad. StingEMALTO, you've probably know who i am now if you didn't earlier. I so would like a copy of this so i can watch on computer from time to time. 

As for as two teams, Celina & Alto both didn't quite get back to title game the next year despite both returning lots of players and Alto/Celina starting season and ending regular season as #1 & #2 respectively. Italy took Celina out in second round and unfortunately Groveton took out Alto 14-13 at SFA in same round. Both teams saw their possible rematch spoiled. You win some, and you lose some. These were really really good Alto years!!!!!  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, StingEmALTO said:

That is so cool about the David Barron article. I’ll have to dig around and see if I can find it!

I have the game film! My mom was the team videographer at that time (my brother was a junior and the starting center with Brian Gamble at QB!) and so we have all the film (Refugio game the week before too! I’ve rewatched that one! Lol). AND believe it or not I never watched the Celina state game film. The biggest memory I have from that game is the sheer agony of defeat with my brother face down on the star devastated after the 4 point loss……when we could have so easily been on the winning side (3 days before Christmas to boot!). It was an awesome, exciting game for sure. BUT DANG. Heartbreaking.

Fun side story: So my dad and the booster club had had “STATE CHAMPS 1995” caps made to hand out after the game….yep I know. Bit them in the butt. FAST FORWARD to 2006….my dad had kept a few of those caps and taken the “1995” stitching off of them. When we WON that state championship game in 2006 he pulled that cap out and PROUDLY put it on his head!!! WE WERE STATE CHAMPS and even if it wasn’t his son who was on the team, we couldn’t have been more proud! It was a RELIEF! And a memory I’ll never forget. It was VERY COOL to win the next year and go back to back. Just wish we had a play or two back at that Celina game….it was a battle for the ages!

I think when I’m at my mom’s at Christmas I’ll get that old VHS out and watch it. Might sting still but surely not as much. Lol

Brian Gamble and Fred Hackney vs Gary Don Moore and Jarrod Martin, what a game that was!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Armed Forces Bowl brings in 34,888.

Gator Bowl canceled but they're looking for a new opponent so put that original one down as a n/a on the first post.

I watched part of that game on TV and there is no way 34,000 people were in the stadium for that game!! They may have sold that many tickets but it looked alot closer to 20,000 (TCU's stadium holds 48,000 and it wasn't close to being half full)

12/23 games updated on the first post.

UCF vs Florida becomes first game to surpass all TXHSFB State Title games.

North Texas vs Miami barely beats out the 3A D2 final (by 21 people).

Memphis/Hawai'i game canceled and entered as a n/a.

6 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

So a game played in Florida between two major college football teams from Florida draws more than a Texas high school football game? Wow. Go Florida!

On 12/16/2021 at 9:48 AM, LoboFan07 said:

This was a fun thread a couple years ago, but of course last year with the COVID restrictions there was really no point.

Now that we're somewhat back to normal, thought it'd be fun to compare the UIL State Championship attendance vs the NCAA Bowl Game attendance.

Will update the thread each morning following games played. Games bolded below are TXHSFB State Championships.

GAMES PLAYED:
63,669 - Frisco Football Classic - Miami (OH) vs North Texas, 12/23

This attendance cant't be correct

13 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

How do you come up with the numbers? I know that a lot of Franklin showed up early for the 3AD1 game and a lot of Lorena fans stayed for the 3AD2 game.

7 hours ago, lionpride08 said:

How do you come up with the numbers? I know that a lot of Franklin showed up early for the 3AD1 game and a lot of Lorena fans stayed for the 3AD2 game.

UIL State Championships page has a box score with official attendance on each one of them:
https://www.uiltexas.org/football/state/results

• Like 1