Harmony’s Russell retiring

Eagleborn

Coach Russell came in as our defensive coordinator my freshman year. He took over as head coach my senior year. He led us to our first playoff appearance in 10 years. He changed the program in both stints at Harmony. As good as he was with X’s and O’s he’s an even better guy off the field. Best wishes to him on his retirement!!

24 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I have no inside knowledge, but people don’t leave Harmony. So it would surprise me to them bring in an outside guy. There has to be someone on staff that they have been preparing for this.

Grandgeorge? Grandgeorge was our assistant o-line/d-line coach when Coach Russell first took over in 2001. He became OC in Russell’s second stint. I think we went outside after Russell left the first time but I could be totally wrong on that.

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

I have no inside knowledge, but people don’t leave Harmony. So it would surprise me to them bring in an outside guy. There has to be someone on staff that they have been preparing for this.

I'm hearing it could be an outside hire. We will soon find out. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Grandgeorge? Grandgeorge was our assistant o-line/d-line coach when Coach Russell first took over in 2001. He became OC in Russell’s second stint. I think we went outside after Russell left the first time but I could be totally wrong on that.

Yes. They went outside for the 3 Head Coaches after Russell left for Pine Tree

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Yes. They went outside for the 3 Head Coaches after Russell left for Pine Tree

Blankenship from White oak was hired after Russell left for Pine Tree. He got fired after 1 season. Then Stoney Coffman was brought in as HC, he left after 1 season to take more money at another school. Shane Wilson was hired and was there a few years before I got in trouble and they brought Russell back from Gilmer. Track record says they will hire from outside but they have some good Coaches on staff. As Stoney said they have a couple of Harmony boys on staff with roots in the Community.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, EasyCompany said:

I would figure Grandgeorge or the DC Mauk would be inline for the job.  Both with strong ties to the community, and have been integral in building the athletic program.  I think an outside hire would be a grave mistake.

That’s two names that in house would be top of the list. Have been with the program. Know the kids. Can continue with and build upon what is currently in place while putting their own spin on the program.

• Like 1

I hear folks around talking about how great their sophomore class is.  This is supposed to be one of their best groups.  Whoever gets the job will have something to work with.  I have never heard anyone say one negative thing about Coach Russell, which is amazing in this day and age.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BuckNut said:

I hear folks around talking about how great their sophomore class is.  This is supposed to be one of their best groups.  Whoever gets the job will have something to work with.  I have never heard anyone say one negative thing about Coach Russell, which is amazing in this day and age.

Yes, the boys sophomore class is very talented and the incoming freshmen will be a good class too. 

The girls freshman class are probably the most talented group of athletes on campus. 

Whoever gets the AD position should be able to do well early. I’ll be interested in the hire with my kids starting school ball soon. 

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Yes, the boys sophomore class is very talented and the incoming freshmen will be a good class too. 

The girls freshman class are probably the most talented group of athletes on campus. 

Whoever gets the AD position should be able to do well early. I’ll be interested in the hire with my kids starting school ball soon. 

It’s always seemed like our girls athletic department was stacked. Deep runs in softball and volleyball. Good basketball teams. 

• Like 2