Harmony’s Russell retiring

Eagleborn

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen in my 38 years that Harmony will have a community meeting Thursday at 6pm to discuss what we want in an Athletic Director. I’m half tempted to show up to see how this turns out. Heck I might have to break out the letterman jacket for this one.

Post the cliff notes on here lol.

• LOL! 1

23 hours ago, PelvisPresley said:

I'm saying that whether they know more or whether as a human you can recognize that other styles of football can be successful when taught to athletes...

bang, there is a thought process to it

Harmony isn't loaded with athletes! They are loaded with strong, disciplined, hard working kids. There is a huge difference! What is the difference in a team being under center pounding the rock being one dimensional and a spread team slinging it being one dimensional? Difference is throwing can be a quick 3 and out. You want to talk about one dimensional? Gunter, Newton, Franklin, Liberty Hill, El Campo, Waskom, SHINER, and China Springs who was very run heavy in the spread had zero problems being "one" dimensional. Everyone thinks you got to go spread to be successful with your 75  percent comment. You got to run what you think is best for the kids you have and I believe Coach Russell did that. Want a comparison to harmony? Quitman! Same type of kids. They used to have hard working disciplined kids and for four straight years they won a district championship and played for two more. They went spread and they became the worst team in the state of Texas 1A-6A cause they thought they had to go spread like everyone else. Coach Webber has come back in and established an offense that is better suited for those kids and they won more games this year than they have the last 10 combined. People have the misconception that you can't throw under center and that is far from true. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, theprodigy said:

Want a comparison to harmony? Quitman! Same type of kids...

Coach Webber has come back in and established an offense that is better suited for those kids and they won more games this year than they have the last 10 combined. 

I wondered what the heck happened at Quitman this year. Seems like they came outta nowhere. 

4 minutes ago, LOL said:

I wondered what the heck happened at Quitman this year. Seems like they came outta nowhere. 

Webber was there when Quitman won those titles and went to the Regional Finals and lost to state champs Newton. He was then the OC for the two years they played for the district title. He came back after being gone and put back in a run heavy offense and gave his kids a chance to compete instead of the constant 3 and outs in 35 seconds and give the other team the ball right back. Like Valhalla said people can say one dimensional all they want but isn't any different running spread with kids that aren't capable of running it. If you have a qb with a good arm like harmony has in the young seahorn kid you can still throw from under center but still got to have wrs that can catch and a line that can pass set. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, theprodigy said:

Harmony isn't loaded with athletes! They are loaded with strong, disciplined, hard working kids. There is a huge difference! What is the difference in a team being under center pounding the rock being one dimensional and a spread team slinging it being one dimensional? Difference is throwing can be a quick 3 and out. You want to talk about one dimensional? Gunter, Newton, Franklin, Liberty Hill, El Campo, Waskom, SHINER, and China Springs who was very run heavy in the spread had zero problems being "one" dimensional. Everyone thinks you got to go spread to be successful with your 75  percent comment. You got to run what you think is best for the kids you have and I believe Coach Russell did that. Want a comparison to harmony? Quitman! Same type of kids. They used to have hard working disciplined kids and for four straight years they won a district championship and played for two more. They went spread and they became the worst team in the state of Texas 1A-6A cause they thought they had to go spread like everyone else. Coach Webber has come back in and established an offense that is better suited for those kids and they won more games this year than they have the last 10 combined. People have the misconception that you can't throw under center and that is far from true. 

Oh how I agree with that!!!!

14 hours ago, Stoney said:

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen in my 38 years that Harmony will have a community meeting Thursday at 6pm to discuss what we want in an Athletic Director. I’m half tempted to show up to see how this turns out. Heck I might have to break out the letterman jacket for this one.

I don’t think I have either???? Pretty sure this is ONE school board members idea……plus a few disgruntled parents whose kids have never started and they think a new AD from “outside” will turn their kid into a starter……NOT GONNA HAPPEN…..what a circus…….

2 minutes ago, SetHut said:

I don’t think I have either???? Pretty sure this is ONE school board members idea……plus a few disgruntled parents whose kids have never started and they think a new AD from “outside” will turn their kid into a starter……NOT GONNA HAPPEN…..what a circus…….

I’m going to check it out. I’ll be curious to see who’s leading the charge. I’m so far behind on the power dynamics of the school nowadays. We lost a good baseball coach one time because of a parent. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SetHut said:

Yes we did……luckily for him he went on to bigger and better things……it’s amazing what can happen to good coaches when the parent blinders are on.  

Yep. Which makes me real curious to see how this plays out. Why is community input needed on this hiring? Is it to cover bases? Is the potential hire going to ruffle that many feathers?

Not sure but I do feel bad for all the coaches that currently are employed there. Are they supposed to show up and get bashed by parents tomorrow? pretty sure most superintendents have a hiring committee and they decide what’s best for the school and the community with the sup being the final word. New sup looking for a scapegoat??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SetHut said:

Not sure but I do feel bad for all the coaches that currently are employed there. Are they supposed to show up and get bashed by parents tomorrow? pretty sure most superintendents have a hiring committee and they decide what’s best for the school and the community with the sup being the final word. New sup looking for a scapegoat??

I’m not sure. I’m kinda biased because some of those coaches coached me, went to school with them or know them from the community. I’m hoping it’s civil but who knows if it’s an open forum. I’m not sure if it’s new guys trying to make their own mark or not. I think we all need to see what’s going on.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MFFL2011 said:

What was the turn out like?

Probably 50 or so people. Had maybe 5,6 people talk. School spirit both on and off the field was a big talking point. A AD who won’t be strictly football but give other sports equal billing. Discipline off field. Want someone with background from a successful program. If kid sits on varsity bench, move him down to JV or freshman team for playing time. Alumni, parents could support athletics better. Superintendent wants someone sooner rather than later. Who has time to come in and set his vision for the future. That’s basically it in a nutshell.

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Probably 50 or so people. Had maybe 5,6 people talk. School spirit both on and off the field was a big talking point. A AD who won’t be strictly football but give other sports equal billing. Discipline off field. Want someone with background from a successful program. If kid sits on varsity bench, move him down to JV or freshman team for playing time. Alumni, parents could support athletics better. Superintendent wants someone sooner rather than later. Who has time to come in and set his vision for the future. That’s basically it in a nutshell.

About what I thought would be brought up. Any names floating around?

1 hour ago, MFFL2011 said:

About what I thought would be brought up. Any names floating around?

No names mentioned but apparently they’ve got their interview list ready. Hopefully in the next two weeks have him hired. Way it sounded they want someone from a successful program. There’s some pretty close ones to draw from if you want to. 

57 minutes ago, Stoney said:

No names mentioned but apparently they’ve got their interview list ready. Hopefully in the next two weeks have him hired. Way it sounded they want someone from a successful program. There’s some pretty close ones to draw from if you want to. 

I heard a Traylor name might have applied 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

I heard a Traylor name might have applied 

If it’s the Traylor I’m thinking of, then he has ties to Harmony. He went to Harmony and could have family already on staff there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Yes that’s him 

From what some of the parents said they were looking for, I think he’d meet their expectations. Coming from a successful program. Knowing what it takes for the program to get to the next level. Having ties to the community and program would make any changes easier to accept/support. 

14 hours ago, Stoney said:

Was this a meeting on what they want in a future AD or a meeting on why they asked Russell to retire? I still haven't discovered if this retirement was voluntary or not. 

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

From what some of the parents said they were looking for, I think he’d meet their expectations. Coming from a successful program. Knowing what it takes for the program to get to the next level. Having ties to the community and program would make any changes easier to accept/support. 

I mean i wouldn’t call Spring Hill a successful program lol 

16 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

Was this a meeting on what they want in a future AD or a meeting on why they asked Russell to retire? I still haven't discovered if this retirement was voluntary or not. 

DM sent