Harmony’s Russell retiring

Eagleborn

3 hours ago, TigerEagle27 said:

Pretty sure it will come from outside.  Lot of talent coming up and need to infuse some new coaching philosophies and overcome hometown coaching apathy otherwise that talent will go to waste.  Archaic offense, poor conditioning, lack of motivation leads to athletes walking the halls instead of playing. 

This post is a joke. Talent is a very relative term when you are talking about Harmony kids. The last 10 years are the best in Program history. Coach Russell has gotten the absolute best out of the limited talent that Harmony has. You should check your facts. I do agree it will be an outside hire because that's what the couple of school board members want. Daddy ball is alive and well at Harmony and it's a sad day when a Great man and Coach like Tim Russell gets run off because of it.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

This post is a joke. Talent is a very relative term when you are talking about Harmony kids. The last 10 years are the best in Program history. Coach Russell has gotten the absolute best out of the limited talent that Harmony has. You should check your facts. I do agree it will be an outside hire because that's what the couple of school board members want. Daddy ball is alive and well at Harmony and it's a sad day when a Great man and Coach like Tim Russell gets run off because of it.

Please elaborate...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Agreed 100% “daddy ball” is very alive at this moment at HHS…..there should be no reason Harmony should have to hire outside of the staff they have. Lots of great minds and coaches that bleed red and white on the staff already BUT ……… none of this is taken into consideration when little Johnny isn’t getting the attention Big Johnny thinks he should……parents thinking their kid is a D1 athlete is an AD’s nightmare…..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TigerEagle27 said:

Pretty sure it will come from outside.  Lot of talent coming up and need to infuse some new coaching philosophies and overcome hometown coaching apathy otherwise that talent will go to waste.  Archaic offense, poor conditioning, lack of motivation leads to athletes walking the halls instead of playing. 

Harmony has ridiculous numbers for football for a school their size. 

The seahorns a

5 hours ago, SetHut said:

Agreed 100% “daddy ball” is very alive at this moment at HHS…..there should be no reason Harmony should have to hire outside of the staff they have. Lots of great minds and coaches that bleed red and white on the staff already BUT ……… none of this is taken into consideration when little Johnny isn’t getting the attention Big Johnny thinks he should……parents thinking their kid is a D1 athlete is an AD’s nightmare…..

The Seahorns are a stable at harmony and with one of their sons at QB I would think they would want to change to the spread. Also I think the sup son trains with our QB coach who happens to have applied for the job.

• Thumbs Down 1

6 hours ago, Sportsguru02 said:

The seahorns a

The Seahorns are a stable at harmony and with one of their sons at QB I would think they would want to change to the spread. Also I think the sup son trains with our QB coach who happens to have applied for the job.

If you interview for the job and a board member and sup both tell you that “ with the qbs that we have we really feel like the spread is right for us “ —- RUN don’t even close the door behind you!

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

2 hours ago, Destry said:

If you interview for the job and a board member and sup both tell you that “ with the qbs that we have we really feel like the spread is right for us “ —- RUN don’t even close the door behind you!

well...if the spread wasn't a successful style of offense to "base" yourself and build off of...rather than ground and pound...then I doubt 75% of teams would try and run a form of it...just something to think about

no doubt you can over power and beat up a bunch of junk teams, but as soon as you play anyone that's decent you are exposed as very one dimensional 

23 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

well...if the spread wasn't a successful style of offense to "base" yourself and build off of...rather than ground and pound...then I doubt 75% of teams would try and run a form of it...just something to think about

no doubt you can over power and beat up a bunch of junk teams, but as soon as you play anyone that's decent you are exposed as very one dimensional 

So you are saying "Daddy"and the Sup from Dallas know more about Coaching football and matching talent with schemes than Coach Russell and his Staff that coach for a living? SMH.....

53 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

BAND WAGON!!!! That’s all I got to say about that😂

12 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

one dimensional...that's all I gotta say

easy to defense

I have heard that. Also heard that wing t is so confusing to defensive coordinators, trying to coach their kids  on new keys instead of keys used to defend the spread. Got to admit though that trying to figure out who has the ball in wing t is little different than who has it in the spread.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PelvisPresley said:

I'm saying that whether they know more or whether as a human you can recognize that other styles of football can be successful when taught to athletes...

bang, there is a thought process to it

Coach Russell and staff just went to the Wing T 6 or 7 years ago. When they made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs (fartherest they have been in program history) in 2010 they were running a pro style offense not wing T. Good Coaches like Russell change their scheme to match the talent. 

13 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Coach Russell and staff just went to the Wing T 6 or 7 years ago. When they made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs (fartherest they have been in program history) in 2010 they were running a pro style offense not wing T. Good Coaches like Russell change their scheme to match the talent. 

Yea I think folks are making this all about football but are forgetting that coach Russell ran a good athletic program. Yes football might be the main topic but when u compete in every sport that’s a sign of a good AD.

• Like 3

I'm not saying that kids don't think it weird seeing a WING-T once a year or a WISHBONE once a year, but if my defense knows that they (the opponent) can't throw the ball consistently then it makes it tough to beat a group of decent coached athletes. Will you beat up on scrub school Q that works for 5 hours a week on their football and the football staff puts in an extra 30 minutes on top of that with the plan for the week...that extra 30 minutes is more about finding a place for the team and coaches to eat in town, if they are getting to do that and making sure they know the mascot/opposing team color/and directions to the stadium...maybe checking out Smoaky some too.

1 hour ago, PelvisPresley said:

I'm not saying that kids don't think it weird seeing a WING-T once a year or a WISHBONE once a year, but if my defense knows that they (the opponent) can't throw the ball consistently then it makes it tough to beat a group of decent coached athletes. Will you beat up on scrub school Q that works for 5 hours a week on their football and the football staff puts in an extra 30 minutes on top of that with the plan for the week...that extra 30 minutes is more about finding a place for the team and coaches to eat in town, if they are getting to do that and making sure they know the mascot/opposing team color/and directions to the stadium...maybe checking out Smoaky some too.

I hear you on the team colors and mascot. We used to prepare differently if they were green and gold or the tigers. 😂😂😂

Congrats to Coach Russell on a great career and retirement (if it was his choice). It seems from some of these posts there is more to this than just a retirement. Is this purely speculation? Or do people know he was "asked" to retire? The storyline of a town wanting to leave an "archaic" offense for the spread is a common one. As foolish as it is. Adding that idea with the idea that Harmony has a bunch of athletes walking the halls makes for one of the dumbest comments ever. They have always had great numbers. If your kid is walking the halls there and he's an "athlete", its not the coaches fault. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, eagle34 said:

What team has Harmony lost to in the playoffs that was less talented than Harmony?

• Like 1

First thought, when Harmony people talk about a "talented" class, I think they are speaking in comparison to average Harmony "talent".  I don't think any of them are confusing Harmony talent with say Gilmer talent.

Second thought, I think most everyone on Harmony's schedule would hope they go to the spread.

Finally, sometimes your best bet to win against more talented teams is to do something more uncommon

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen in my 38 years that Harmony will have a community meeting Thursday at 6pm to discuss what we want in an Athletic Director. I’m half tempted to show up to see how this turns out. Heck I might have to break out the letterman jacket for this one.

• LOL! 1

I’m old enough to remember when Union Grove with Brian Goodman and Kerry Lane were throwing the ball around in the era of the Power I and Veer offense. A non typical offense can be a equalizer against more talented teams if executed properly. 

• Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 8:32 PM, Valhalla said:

Harmony has ridiculous numbers for football for a school their size. 

It’s amazing how the numbers have grown. First year under Russell in 2001 we had maybe 25 guys on varsity. Lot of two way players. Nowadays it was common to see strictly offense or defensive players.