State Championship Offenses

Horns85

4 minutes ago, Destry said:

Were theirs a shotgun or combination of all ?

CS is more of a run first spread, like what Rich Rodriguez ran at WV. Katy runs almost exclusively out of the I formation and Strong/weak formation. Shiner runs mostly I and Splitback.

stratford runs a lot of splitback as well

3 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Teams that can run AND pass seem to have a leg up ...  it's really tough if you are one dimensional  ....

Unless you do it like Liberty hill. Without their “gimmicky” T formation ran to perfection the way they do, they would get beat down in 5A ball. They are infinitely less talented than some of their opponents, yet they beat them with that offense. 

• Like 1

Liberty Hill is one of my favorite offenses to watch. I believe the two biggest things that help them are tempo, and the fact that not many teams run it. Most teams are prepping for a spread style offense all year. Then, in one week’s prep time you have to get ready for the anti spread as well. 
Tempo is a great equalizer as well. We have ran it in Canadian for years. We are never the biggest, fastest, or most athletic. But when you run a play every 9 seconds, it’s hard for a defense to adjust. 

Young coaches/DCs often struggle in dealing with with the non-spreads because they didn't cut their teeth on having to deal with them ... in today's world, probably the quickest place to learn (the non-spreads have somewhat evolved, too) is find a team that runs that non-spread and get film (or video - showing my age here) where they played somebody who also runs that non-spread ... they will give you clues and an idea on a way to defend it.  But remember, some people run it with HOSSES and some people run it with SHOW PONIES ... there's a big difference.

Point Two: It is obvious that if you have built your defense to stop the spread, it's is hard to adjust in one week ... that change comes with many problems and asking kids to take on responsibilities that they are not accustom to ... confusion and doubt can turn a 4.5 into a 5.5.  There's an old adage that says if you do something different but are used to it ... you force the other guys to have to change not you.  Deception in the game is a lost art, and way underestimated.  I see it on defense with blitz packages, but not much on offense.  Sometimes it's easier just to plow around a stump.

Point Three: If you find a place that's successful in a non-spread - you'll also find a solid defense.  LH & Franklin both had defenses that yielded less than 10 points a game ... it's often hard to come from behind in tighter sets ... but never forget, that the two go together in another way - the non-spreads run the clock***, work hard on eliminating mistakes (if you play a four-to-five-yard per scheme, you can't afford a first and fifteen), and play keep away from the sometimes superior offensive talent just standing around and watching on the other sideline.  Nothing helps a defense more than their own offense having the ball (And when all else fails - on third and long run the quick trap or 8-Hole Reverse ... lol)

***A lot of Wing teams like to speed up the game, or it appears so in some cases as they break the huddle in a sprint and set ... for a few they really do speed up / for most they break the huddle late and then sprint ... Why?  Because an often used tool in the Wing is a change in sets - especially using unbalanced - the quick rush gives the defense less time to adjust to the change and confusion.  From a defensive perspective THAT is hard to duplicate in practice.