And just like that it's over ... final thoughts of HSFB '21

DOB

Research usually shows that the team from a school with a higher enrollment wins about 60% of the time … looking at the champions this year, that still holds true … in this years finals, the team will the most enrollment (based on the most recent tally in Oct) won six of the ten games.

Of the 10 state champions, four will be moving up … and from what I understand, you might as well make it five, as LBJ has chosen to opt up.

Over the two-year UIL cycle, those four movers show:

Katy Paetow with a whopping increase of 48.6%

Stratford with an amazing increase of 24.8%

Franklin with an increase of 16%

China Spring with an increase of 6.4%

And those others who lost out in the Semis:

Mansfield Summit and Flour Bluff in 5A-D1 will be headed down to 5A-D2

Abilene Cooper will go the other way from 5A-D2 to 5A-D1

Celina, with a substantial increase of 17% in enrollment, will move from 4A-D2 to 4A-D1

Lago Vista, with a booming increase of 25%, will move from 3A-D1 to 4A-D2

So how did DC's Texas Football do with their pre-season picks?

Westlake at #1

Franklin at #1

Shiner at #2

North Shore at #4

China Spring at #7

Lorena at #8

Stratford at #8

Katy Paetow at #13

Oak Cliff at #13

Stephenville at #18

10 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

Great info!   They kind of missed on Stephenville.   Stephenville had an incredible run with massive wins over great teams.   LaVega, Melissa, MH, Paris, Argyle, Hirschi, LBJ and Sweetwater.    That’s impressive.

The Stephenville WR was a man among boys ... best athete/player I saw all year ... love to see the Longhorns grab him ....

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Footballalltheway said:

We have too many divisions in my opinion.  I would love to see them go back to one champion for each A.  Would also like see them only allow the top two in each district to go to playoffs.  

In “everyone gets a trophy” society we live in I doubt it will ever happen.  

I mean, if we go back to just 300 schools as opposed to 1400+ (and growing) then it might make sense.

It makes no sense to have 1 champion in 6A when there's a school that has 6000+ students and the lowest school is 2200. Also makes no sense in 5A to have 1 champion when there's a school of 2190+ and a school as low as 1200 or something.

Texas is one of the largest states in the country, we should have a large playoff system for the amount of schools we have.

Has nothing to do with "everyone gets a trophy." It's just the system continues to grow with as many schools continue to form.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I mean, if we go back to just 300 schools as opposed to 1400+ (and growing) then it might make sense.

It makes no sense to have 1 champion in 6A when there's a school that has 6000+ students and the lowest school is 2200. Also makes no sense in 5A to have 1 champion when there's a school of 2190+ and a school as low as 1200 or something.

Texas is one of the largest states in the country, we should have a large playoff system for the amount of schools we have.

Has nothing to do with "everyone gets a trophy." It's just the system continues to grow with as many schools continue to form.

Not to mention if you look at the numbers DOB posted, it’s obvious that the playing field needs to be evened. If we are going to get away from “everybody gets a trophy”, let’s just condense it to 1 division. I kid I kid. I think it’s a pretty good system and sure, it may be a tad bit watered down, but I love having 4 places get “a shot”. We’ve seen 4 seeds surprise people before playing out of a really tough district where 3-4 teams played well enough to be a District Champ in other districts. Teams may suffer injuries and fall to 4th and then get healthy before the playoffs and make a run. I like our system and it gives us just a little more football. There’s never anything wrong with more  football.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

Not to mention if you look at the numbers DOB posted, it’s obvious that the playing field needs to be evened. If we are going to get away from “everybody gets a trophy”, let’s just condense it to 1 division. I kid I kid. I think it’s a pretty good system and sure, it may be a tad bit watered down, but I love having 4 places get “a shot”. We’ve seen 4 seeds surprise people before playing out of a really tough district where 3-4 teams played well enough to be a District Champ in other districts. Teams may suffer injuries and fall to 4th and then get healthy before the playoffs and make a run. I like our system and it gives us just a little more football. There’s never anything wrong with more  football.

My thoughts exactly. Why would you ever want less football?? Lol

Also CH running all the way to semifinals and nearly the championship game is a perfect example of why it’s not crazy or watering it down to allow 4 teams in from a district 

• Like 2

Just wanted say Congratulations again to our Franklin Lions , incredible season with a great group of kids & coaches ! 
We felt after coming so close last year , the talent was there to get back & win this time … this team & coaches worked their tails off & it was proven on the field for 16 weeks … # 164  # Slot T Mafia 

JJ 

10 hours ago, JJ5150 said:

Just wanted say Congratulations again to our Franklin Lions , incredible season with a great group of kids & coaches ! 
We felt after coming so close last year , the talent was there to get back & win this time … this team & coaches worked their tails off & it was proven on the field for 16 weeks … # 164  # Slot T Mafia 

JJ 

Here's an ornament for your tree ... and yes, I was once a member of the Mafia in the early years of its evolution.

TREE.jpg

One last thought moving to the next alignment ...

I have long accepted the use of the four per system, but I can argue both sides because there are two sides to every decision made … and I am certainly not criticizing the UIL for its work, although its logic sometimes escapes me.

There are problems because there are aberrations to every issue and this is no exception. None is more obvious than 4A-D1, where they are only 19 teams in the western region and 16 of those enter the playoffs – including two districts that only have four members (the other regions have either 27 or 26).

Now I do understand that west Texas is in itself an aberration due to the mileage issue, but I don't necessarily believe that it is universally applied in other cases – so balancing district numbers appears to be just as important. An example – Argyle and Ranchview having to pass through the Dallas district to get to the rest of their district mates. And this is only one example – I'm sure they had their reasons.

So the real question is what do they do with the new alignment because it just got more complicated.

The 4AD1 El Paso area, who had five members, lost three of those who went down. While it is likely that another El Paso school (Irvin; and possibly Bowie and Austin if they don't opt up - EP newspapers offer different accounts) could join to up the total to more than three if their final decision is not to opt up to remain where they are. The next district over (with only four in the last alignment) San Angelo LV, Andrews, and Big Spring lost Fort Stockton, who is also moving down. So where does the fourth member (if you are a four-team district is acceptable kind of person) come from? Lubbock Estacado, moving up, could be an option … but they relatively closer to the Panhandle district (who had five but facing Canyon Randall joining them moving down). If not Estacado, then Brownwood would be the next domino to fall that way – but the distance from BW to Andrews is astronomical, just like the distance from Andrews, BS, and SALV is to El Paso.

Rule around here is that you never point out a problem without a possible solution in mind. Why not put the El Paso area district together with the Andrews, BS, and SA district. Don't roll your eyes yet, cause I'm not finished. This would then allow you to create another district to help balance the unbalance between the regions.

Now back to the previous combining of District 1 & 2 – allowing this “new district” to “Zone” themselves – playing only those teams closer by. Leaving the last week of the regular season “open” to have the #1s in both zones to play for Seed 1 & 2 … and the #2s in both zones play for Seed 3 & 4 (the other teams – not finishing 1 or 2 – could play if they chose in order to have a 10 game schedule).

Before you fall out of your chair, remember this … I'm older than most of ya'll, so I can tell you this is NOT a new concept. Back in the day before 5A & 6A were ever invented, zones were the cat's meow in 4A – each district had too many teams to play a round-robin – so each district was arranged in zones, usually by chosen by geography thus minimizing travel. The zone playoffs were actually equal to the first round of the playoffs.

The question is ... can the UIL think outside of the box?

Just a thought from an old coach in his final year in the education bizness ... 46 is enough.

3 hours ago, DOB said:

One last thought moving to the next alignment ...

I have long accepted the use of the four per system, but I can argue both sides because there are two sides to every decision made … and I am certainly not criticizing the UIL for its work, although its logic sometimes escapes me.

There are problems because there are aberrations to every issue and this is no exception. None is more obvious than 4A-D1, where they are only 19 teams in the western region and 16 of those enter the playoffs – including two districts that only have four members (the other regions have either 27 or 26).

Now I do understand that west Texas is in itself an aberration due to the mileage issue, but I don't necessarily believe that it is universally applied in other cases – so balancing district numbers appears to be just as important. An example – Argyle and Ranchview having to pass through the Dallas district to get to the rest of their district mates. And this is only one example – I'm sure they had their reasons.

So the real question is what do they do with the new alignment because it just got more complicated.

The 4AD1 El Paso area, who had five members, lost three of those who went down. While it is likely that another El Paso school (Irvin) could join to up the total to four if their final decision is not to opt up to remain where they are. The next district over (with only four in the last alignment) San Angelo LV, Andrews, and Big Spring lost Fort Stockton, who is also moving down. So where does the fourth member (if you are a four-team district is acceptable kind of person) come from? Lubbock Estacado, moving up, could be an option … but they relatively closer to the Panhandle district (who had five but facing Canyon Randall joining them moving down). If not Estacado, then Brownwood would be the next domino to fall that way – but the distance from BW to Andrews is astronomical, just like the distance from Andrews, BS, and SALV is to El Paso.

Rule around here is that you never point out a problem without a possible solution in mind. Why not put the El Paso area district together with the Andrews, BS, and SA district. Don't roll your eyes yet, cause I'm not finished. This would then allow you to create another district to help balance the unbalance between the regions.

Now back to the previous combining of District 1 & 2 – allowing this “new district” to “Zone” themselves – playing only those teams closer by. Leaving the last week of the regular season “open” to have the #1s in both zones to play for Seed 1 & 2 … and the #2s in both zones play for Seed 3 & 4 (the other teams – not finishing 1 or 2 – could play if they chose in order to have a 10 game schedule).

Before you fall out of your chair, remember this … I'm older than most of ya'll, so I can tell you this is NOT a new concept. Back in the day before 5A & 6A were ever invented, zones were the cat's meow in 4A – each district had too many teams to play a round-robin – so each district was arranged in zones, usually by chosen by geography thus minimizing travel. The zone playoffs were actually equal to the first round of the playoffs.

The question is ... can the UIL think outside of the box?

Just a thought from an old coach in his final year in the education bizness ... 46 is enough.

It sure would be nice if a lot more posts on this website had even half as much thought put into them as this one did!

On 12/21/2021 at 5:16 PM, THEHARDWAY said:

Watched the kid for the last 4 years at camps. Is a converted QB. High quality player, and high quality kid!!!

Have to share. Who wouldn’t want this kid. 

Kid had arguably one of the greatest SC performances of all time. The only I/Me was stating that he was happy for teammates and thankful. Deferred praise, and gave it to coaches and OLine. 

A lot of kids are stuck in the me/I zone, and that’s fine. It takes a special individual to see the big picture and handle an interview this way.

#OFFERHIM

Franklin broke the 600 win mark this season and finished with 606 wins. Only 75 school have ever broke 600 wins out of 1000+ schools. Franklin rushed for 7,030 yards this season. 911 points scored by franklin is the most ever by a 3a and top 4 all time in 11 man football. It took Franklin 100 year to make a trip to state and have now played for a state championship 3 times in the last 7 years. Franklin had 3 1,000+ yard rushers and almost 4 (one missed by 95 yards).... It has been a good season and one that the community had waited on for a long time. For the first time ever Franklin had won a Championship in a team sport. Hope we pick up in basketball how we left on in football.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, THEHARDWAY said:

Have to share. Who wouldn’t want this kid. 

Kid had arguably one of the greatest SC performances of all time. The only I/Me was stating that he was happy for teammates and thankful. Deferred praise, and gave it to coaches and OLine. 

A lot of kids are stuck in the me/I zone, and that’s fine. It takes a special individual to see the big picture and handle an interview this way.

#OFFERHIM

He has offers. 

On 12/21/2021 at 10:06 AM, KirtFalcon said:

The Stephenville WR was a man among boys ... best athete/player I saw all year ... love to see the Longhorns grab him ....

The Longhorns won’t even look at the kid because he does not have that 5 star behind him.   The Longhorns thinking they should only go after 5 stars is ridiculous.  This is why they have missed so many QB’s over the last decade.   This kid can play period!   Hope he eventually plays UT and torches them.  

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

The Longhorns won’t even look at the kid because he does not have that 5 star behind him.   The Longhorns thinking they should only go after 5 stars is ridiculous.  This is why they have missed so many QB’s over the last decade.   This kid can play period!   Hope he eventually plays UT and torches them.  

He should get a lot of looks from several DI schools ... he is going to go far I predict  ....

5 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

Orrrrrr they don’t currently have room for him. Early signing day, free agent portal…….. different world now