💰 The Official NIL thread 💰

• 1 month later...

As the prior thread on Quinn Ewers and Alex Gleitman's opinion that he will transfer has been locked, I just want to add some perspective. First of all, of course this has been a difficult transition for a nice 18 year old homebody kid from Texas. This is quite the experiment for purposes of NIL income, and he is not able to be distracted by being on the field in games. He obviously has had a tough transition, and Ryan Day alluded to that a couple weeks ago when he mentioned that Quinn "is making some friends now". Most of these transfer rumors popped up this week after Quinn did not travel to Indiana, and Jagger LaRue was the emergency 4th QB on the travel squad. That move was not a slap in Ewers face. It was a "mental health" move. Ewers spent Saturday deer hunting in east central Ohio, and in my opinion, it was a great move by Coach Day. 

Will he transfer? Will Kyle McCord transfer? Will Jack Miller transfer? These questions will likely be answered after Spring Ball. They all came here to be developed by Ryan Day. 4th string will transfer for the 2022 season this Winter or Spring. 3rd string wil likely transfer after the Spring unless its a a very close competition for 2nd team QB, as one of the 2 will be the starter in 2023. 

Personally, for Ewers development, he needs to stay at OSU for 2022, and that is a no brainer. He wil be maximally developed by Day after a "real freshman 2022 year", and he wil either start in 2023 here or he will transfer to a lesser program in immediate need for a starter in 2023. Delusions of him heading to the NFL after 2023 by transferring to another program and starrting in 2022 are just that...delusions. It "could" happen, but its unlikely and not the path that the NFL would desire.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PelvisPresley said:

that may have been a national company and would be more interested in seeing him on the field...and if that was in burnt orange or Texas Tech black and red, then go get it boy!!!

NIL just made legal what’s been happening at places like Ohio State and Bama.  Big pocket boosters/alum have been paying kids to sign.  Now it can be done under the guise of NIL and the boosters/alum can profit off of their business!  Don’t think they’ll let a kid walk away with their money.  I bet if you dug deep enough you’d find where that $1.6Million came from and the stipulations put on it.  You can bet there’s no stringless NIL payments now, especially when they’re that large of a sum of money.  I hope the kid does transfer and gets stripped of it or sued for breach of contract.  At least we’ll start seeing the better definition of NIL and the intent that was supposed to be behind it.  

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

NIL just made legal what’s been happening at places like Ohio State and Bama.  Big pocket boosters/alum have been paying kids to sign.  Now it can be done under the guise of NIL and the boosters/alum can profit off of their business!  Don’t think they’ll let a kid walk away with their money.  I bet if you dug deep enough you’d find where that $1.6Million came from and the stipulations put on it.  You can bet there’s no stringless NIL payments now, especially when they’re that large of a sum of money.  I hope the kid does transfer and gets stripped of it or sued for breach of contract.  At least we’ll start seeing the better definition of NIL and the intent that was supposed to be behind it.  

There has to be a clause in the contract regarding a transfer.

6 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

NIL just made legal what’s been happening at places like Ohio State and Bama.  

Money has been moved at ALL the major players over the last 40-50 years. There are a few that do it a little more out in the open than others (ole miss) but they are all doing it. 

Just now, WETSU said:

Money has been moved at ALL the major players over the last 40-50 years. There are a few that do it a little more out in the open than others (ole miss) but they are all doing it. 

They are now.  There are many that were abiding by the rules. 

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

They are now.  There are many that were abiding by the rules. 

No. There arent... Including my team. Step into the recruiting process and go to a D1 school and watch how much slides under the radar. I'm not saying that everyone is getting Cam Newton money but is happening. 

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

No. There arent... Including my team. Step into the recruiting process and go to a D1 school and watch how much slides under the radar. I'm not saying that everyone is getting Cam Newton money but is happening. 

Regardless, there’s a way to do it now and it not be against the rules.  Now the donor own corporations can make money off the kids now.  Big money will come with stipulations

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For years now, when it comes to college sports, there have been people on two sides: those who think athletes should be paid, and those who think they already were being paid (with a free education). Six months ago, the NCAA approved and announced the NIL rule. Again, there were two sides: those who celebrated it, and those who saw the issues coming. 

I, for one, have argued for several years that I don't believe it's right for a college athlete to sit and sign autographs for two hours and not be able to be paid for his/her time, especially if someone else was being able to profit off of it. However, when the NIL rule was announced, I made the argument that all it was going to do was open loopholes for athletes to be paid for far more than just their name, image, and/or likeness. Six months later, and we've already seen that very thing happen numerous times, with numerous athletes (particularly football players). Well, as of this morning, we now have our first HIGH SCHOOL player to sign a deal. A JUNIOR in California just signed an endorsement deal with a recruiting app. Personally, I have many issues with this, the first being the most obvious...The NIL rule is an NCAA rule. 

• Like 1

The system is completely broken now. We’ve been arguing about the playoff selection process or blatant preferential treatment to certain programs as to what destroys the NCAA, but it will be the NIL stuff. The “big boys” are about to distance themselves from the rest even further in the next few years to a point to where it makes more sense to break the whole and start over. 

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Stoney said:

"We're simply not there. And, in most respects, I'm proud we're not there."

Uhhhhh, well then you better find another hobby and spectator sport there, grandpa. 

This IS the new normal, and if OU does not seriously raise their big money donor game and start backing some bigtime NIL spending, the Sooners are about to become the whipping boys of the SEC. If you thought Nebraska went from contender to irrelevant in short order, OU's demise will make your head spin. 

For all the eyerolling and mockery over NIL going on about UT/A&M right now, they seem to understand that it's NOT "there" that they have to get to... 

...it's "here."

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LOL said:

Uhhhhh, well then you better find another hobby and spectator sport there, grandpa. 

This IS the new normal, and if OU does not seriously raise their big money donor game and start backing some bigtime NIL spending, the Sooners are about to become the whipping boys of the SEC. If you thought Nebraska went from contender to irrelevant in short order, OU's demise will make your head spin. 

For all the eyerolling and mockery over NIL going on about UT/A&M right now, they seem to understand that it's NOT "there" that they have to get to... 

...it's "here."

It’s going to have to be visible as well, not under the table.  Written contracts and not just bags of money

• Sportsfanatic1 changed the title to Another proof NIL is out of hand..