💰 The Official NIL thread 💰

45 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Are these projected numbers? Or money that’s been made? 

39 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

How does Arch Manning already have 1.6 mil?

I believe it’s projected NIL value.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't want to derail the Aggie thread with my old man incoherent rumblings...  so this is what was typed out there for a fun off-season discussion.

This may need another thread, but this is just a suggestion... With all of the screw ups from the NCAA with anything that is profitable... I would like to see this happen.  NCAA sports literally just split from the school.  They are a school owned, and school run sports organization, that is an income driven asset to the school.  What am I getting at?  Your profitable sports, lets just say Football, baseball, and Men's and Women's basketball teams, literally become a professional sports franchise.  It is still governed by the NCAA.  The students you recruit can be students with free tuition and housing, and profit off of their NIL...  The others can forego school and just be a player on that institution's roster.  Weekly salary + NIL etc...  So just for giggles...

Let's say you have your leagues...  Let's just have 8 leagues...  They play your 12 game schedule, they have a full 16 team playoff where they 1st and 2nd place schools from each league make the playoffs.  You have 4 weeks of playoff football.  Bowls can still exist to fill the holes to keep us entertained during the holidays.

• Thanks 1

It would be easier to just start up a NFL minor leagues… Baseball has it right. It’s the best of all the sports. Give HS kids the chance to get drafted. Let them go play for the Shreveport Battlewings and the Longview Texans and make their 80k a year while working their way to the NFL similar to a farm system. 

What you’ll see is some kids chase the money and take those deals. But what you’ll also see are some kids use their brain and realize they are getting better training and facilities playing for a D1 program rather than some out in the sticks minor league team. You’ll also have those half way intelligent enough to actually appreciate the education side if football doesn’t work out similar to how baseball has drafted studs come play in college simply because they have seen so many cases of drafted 18 year olds get lost in the minors making very low salaries and sleeping on buses. Plenty of kids will give up Money for free education and playing in front of 100k using nicer facilities than they get on the nfl rather than get that small NIL type check but be playing in front of high school crowds. 

The future is a minor league for the nfl. Not paying D1 players nfl level salaries. 

• Like 1

To quote a great mind “, "Why should we have to go to class if we come here to play FOOTBALL, we ain't come to play SCHOOL, classes are POINTLESS.” The way the money is skyrocketing there’s no way that these schools don’t come together and realize they can get the whole pie by starting their own league. Pay the Cardale Jones to play football and not school. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

It would be easier to just start up a NFL minor leagues… Baseball has it right. It’s the best of all the sports. Give HS kids the chance to get drafted. Let them go play for the Shreveport Battlewings and the Longview Texans and make their 80k a year while working their way to the NFL similar to a farm system. 

What you’ll see is some kids chase the money and take those deals. But what you’ll also see are some kids use their brain and realize they are getting better training and facilities playing for a D1 program rather than some out in the sticks minor league team. You’ll also have those half way intelligent enough to actually appreciate the education side if football doesn’t work out similar to how baseball has drafted studs come play in college simply because they have seen so many cases of drafted 18 year olds get lost in the minors making very low salaries and sleeping on buses. Plenty of kids will give up Money for free education and playing in front of 100k using nicer facilities than they get on the nfl rather than get that small NIL type check but be playing in front of high school crowds. 

The future is a minor league for the nfl. Not paying D1 players nfl level salaries. 

The NFL doesn’t want a minor league in the states… they have college football…

36 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

The NFL doesn’t want a minor league in the states… they have college football…

Oh I know. Especially because there’s no money it. Baseball only uses their farm system because it’s always been a way to equalize teams without having the same payroll. You won’t convince NFL owners to branch out and develop a minor league. But it would be the best option for all parties involved. 

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

Oh I know. Especially because there’s no money it. Baseball only uses their farm system because it’s always been a way to equalize teams without having the same payroll. You won’t convince NFL owners to branch out and develop a minor league. But it would be the best option for all parties involved. 

A minor league requires owners.  Turn college professional and you already have owners… this model isn’t for everyone.  Most of the SEC, B10, and B12 and some ACC and PAC could survive this.  But it would be perfect imo

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

A minor league requires owners.  Turn college professional and you already have owners… this model isn’t for everyone.  Most of the SEC, B10, and B12 and some ACC and PAC could survive this.  But it would be perfect imo

It would work for sure. I just do not want to see the universities paying non students like that. Just a personal preference. If I wanted to watch overpaid spoiled athletes I’d just watch the nfl. 

i know the system I grew up watching is now broken. It is what it is. 

16 hours ago, WETSU said:

Last farm league baseball games I went to there might’ve been 300 people there, including the team, concession workers, grounds crew, and umpires.  The minor leagues only benefit the major leagues.  They don’t benefit the fans, or the cities they reside in.  That would be a disaster for college football and the fans.

I think the Nil needs to be addressed like Texas did where the stuff is open for all to see.  The bagmen need to be pushed out

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Last farm league baseball games I went to there might’ve been 300 people there, including the team, concession workers, grounds crew, and umpires.  The minor leagues only benefit the major leagues.  They don’t benefit the fans, or the cities they reside in.  That would be a disaster for college football and the fans.

I think the Nil needs to be addressed like Texas did where the stuff is open for all to see.  The bagmen need to be pushed out

For starters, lol at the bagmen comment. The only reason Texas has theirs in the open is because they needed it for a recruiting splash as their class right before that announcement was seriously in trouble. The other teams aren’t “hiding” anything they just didn’t have the need to broadcast “hey we are paying everyone come on down” in order to finish their class.

No it would help college football for the nfl to draft kids at 18. College baseball is still thriving even though let’s say 10% of the top talent on the HS ranks goes pro. Many kids prefer to go get their degree and play in front of thousands instead of the 300 like you talked about but get a little paycheck. College football would be the same way. You would get those kids that only care about the easiest and quickest path to a paycheck out while still getting probably 80-90% of the kids coming and putting quality products on the field. There’s absolutely no reason why football couldn’t operate on a similar structure as the MLB farm system and it still benefits everyone involved. I know as a fan I would much rather see things like they use to be or like the baseball model rather than seeing these kids jumping from team to team and chasing money. 

To further expand on that, I’m a fan of Texas A&M and college football. If only 300 people show up to watch the minor league football game that’s just part of being the minors. But, the nfl also gets to use it in a way that benefits them. You can approach the drafts differently knowing you can place a kid in the farm system if he’s not an instant impact guy. You can trade differently knowing you have the farm system to help. There’s literally no downside to minor league systems except for financial incentives but that’s “worth it” to most mlb teams because of the flexibility it gives their franchise. 

I also think fans would embrace it much more than the minor league baseball teams though. Baseball unless you’re passionate is a boring game. Football is fun to watch no matter the level. 

Side note: just imagine how differently teams would draft knowing they had even just one minor league team in their system. That stud QB you are grooming would get actual reps instead of sitting behind player for 2 years. You would get better ideas of what you have instead of not knowing 2-3 years into a plan that it wouldn’t work with player X. 

I understand it’s not money draw and likely the players association wouldn’t agree to these types of things, but it has potential. 

52 minutes ago, WETSU said:

To further expand on that, I’m a fan of Texas A&M and college football. If only 300 people show up to watch the minor league football game that’s just part of being the minors. But, the nfl also gets to use it in a way that benefits them. You can approach the drafts differently knowing you can place a kid in the farm system if he’s not an instant impact guy. You can trade differently knowing you have the farm system to help. There’s literally no downside to minor league systems except for financial incentives but that’s “worth it” to most mlb teams because of the flexibility it gives their franchise. 

I also think fans would embrace it much more than the minor league baseball teams though. Baseball unless you’re passionate is a boring game. Football is fun to watch no matter the level. 

Who’s to say aTm gets a minor league team?  Any college for that matter?  The Pro teams will place the teams and hire the coaches.  That’s the way baseball does it.  

I do agree football is easier to watch

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Who’s to say aTm gets a minor league team?  Any college for that matter?  The Pro teams will place the teams and hire the coaches.  That’s the way baseball does it.  

I do agree football is easier to watch

No I’m saying it needs to be separate from the schools. The minor leagues are in no way affiliated with college. I want a system identical to baseball. Colleges are not involved but if you choose college you don’t get paid. 

It really is hard to understand the drawback at all from anyones side. The nfl, players, universities and fans all benefit from doing things the way baseball does. I’m assuming this is mostly because the NFLPA doesn’t want anything like that. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

No I’m saying it needs to be separate from the schools. The minor leagues are in no way affiliated with college. I want a system identical to baseball. Colleges are not involved but if you choose college you don’t get paid. 

College football would suck then

3 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

College football would suck then

Why? College baseball is still so much better than minor league baseball even with the chance to go pro. 

Don’t look at this like every kid will be drafted…. I’m saying if we expanded the nfl draft to say 20 rounds instead of 7 and let teams fill a minor league team with their draft picks, you would still get majority of those picks being draft picks eligible juniors from college. Only the elite HS kids would even get drafted. And even half of those would recognize that it’s better to get a degree than to go play for a minor league team. 

the quality of college football would not drop at all. If anything it may be improved because I think you’d see more parity as the super elite guys would just skip playing at the top few schools for a pro deal. But 90% Of college football would be unchanged just like baseball. 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

Why? College baseball is still so much better than minor league baseball even with the chance to go pro. 

Don’t look at this like every kid will be drafted…. I’m saying if we expanded the nfl draft to say 20 rounds instead of 7 and let teams fill a minor league team with their draft picks, you would still get majority of those picks being draft picks eligible juniors from college. Only the elite HS kids would even get drafted. And even half of those would recognize that it’s better to get a degree than to go play for a minor league team. 

the quality of college football would not drop at all. If anything it may be improved because I think you’d see more parity as the super elite guys would just skip playing at the top few schools for a pro deal. But 90% Of college football would be unchanged just like baseball. 

If you’re talking just one farm team per pro organization…. That’s 32 teams at 55 players for a total of 1760 players.  I’d be willing to bet (depending on the salary level of minor league football has) the biggest portion of the top 300,top247, etc…. Would enter that draft.  

basebal has multiple levels of farm teams from rookie league to AAA.  

39 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

If you’re talking just one farm team per pro organization…. That’s 32 teams at 55 players for a total of 1760 players.  I’d be willing to bet (depending on the salary level of minor league football has) the biggest portion of the top 300,top247, etc…. Would enter that draft.  

basebal has multiple levels of farm teams from rookie league to AAA.  

There are baseball players in the top 3-4 rounds every year that choose to play college. The mlb draft has 40 rounds and still has a really good college product. Football would be no different. 

the top 247 would not be depleted every year because your math is wrong. If 32 teams draft 20 players every year that’s 640 players total. But that included draft eligible juniors as well not just freshman. So you’d have to figure the majority of the draft will still be the better more nfl ready juniors and seniors not 18 year old freshman. It’s not like the top 640 freshman would be going. 

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

There are baseball players in the top 3-4 rounds every year that choose to play college. The mlb draft has 40 rounds and still has a really good college product. Football would be no different. 

the top 247 would not be depleted every year because your math is wrong. If 32 teams draft 20 players every year that’s 640 players total. But that included draft eligible juniors as well not just freshman. So you’d have to figure the majority of the draft will still be the better more nfl ready juniors and seniors not 18 year old freshman. It’s not like the top 640 freshman would be going. 

If the draft takes the place of the transfer portal for underclassmen I’d like that.  Only transfer if you’re a Grad transfer.  If you are happy where you’re at, draft or work harder.  That would force kids to make a good decision from the start, instead of who gives the most bagged money 

16 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

If the draft takes the place of the transfer portal for underclassmen I’d like that.  Only transfer if you’re a Grad transfer.  If you are happy where you’re at, draft or work harder.  That would force kids to make a good decision from the start, instead of who gives the most bagged money 

I don’t think who gives the most money is the factor for as many kids as you think it is right now. I absolutely agree for some it might be, but it’s not changing recruiting the way you think it is. 

I do like your proposed idea for transfers though. I do not have a problem with kids switching schools but there needs to be some real incentive not to switch. Perhaps sit out a year and can’t be on scholarship your first year at new school. 

• Sportsfanatic1 changed the title to Another proof NIL is out of hand..