💰 The Official NIL thread 💰

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I don’t think who gives the most money is the factor for as many kids as you think it is right now. I absolutely agree for some it might be, but it’s not changing recruiting the way you think it is. 

I do like your proposed idea for transfers though. I do not have a problem with kids switching schools but there needs to be some real incentive not to switch. Perhaps sit out a year and can’t be on scholarship your first year at new school. 

It’s not?  aTm signed the highest rated class….ever.  Yea, it’s changing recruiting.  Texas signed a top 5 class and one of the best OL classes in their history, after going 5-7.  Yea, it’s changing recruiting.  

college football was the best sport on earth IMO.  In 10 years, it’ll be like watching the Super Bowl just for commercials.  

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

It’s not?  aTm signed the highest rated class….ever.  Yea, it’s changing recruiting.  Texas signed a top 5 class and one of the best OL classes in their history, after going 5-7.  Yea, it’s changing recruiting.  

college football was the best sport on earth IMO.  In 10 years, it’ll be like watching the Super Bowl just for commercials.  

Texas hasn’t fielded a “good” team in over a decade now and has consistently recruited in the top 10. A&M has recruited a top 5 class 3/years of Fisher and these types of classes are possible when you get big signature wins that they were all there for like the Bama game. Also A&M doesn’t recruit this class if OU and LSU aren’t replacing their staffs. It was not only money it was a perfect storm. 

If your really think this class was bought and money is the only factor, then why did they lose guys like Banks and Perkins who are the two highest position of needs for them? 

13 hours ago, WETSU said:

Why? College baseball is still so much better than minor league baseball even with the chance to go pro. 

Don’t look at this like every kid will be drafted…. I’m saying if we expanded the nfl draft to say 20 rounds instead of 7 and let teams fill a minor league team with their draft picks, you would still get majority of those picks being draft picks eligible juniors from college. Only the elite HS kids would even get drafted. And even half of those would recognize that it’s better to get a degree than to go play for a minor league team. 

the quality of college football would not drop at all. If anything it may be improved because I think you’d see more parity as the super elite guys would just skip playing at the top few schools for a pro deal. But 90% Of college football would be unchanged just like baseball. 

Nobody really cares about college baseball or minor baseball for the most part.

19 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Because baseball is boring for those who don’t really enjoy it. But you can routinely see 9-10k people at sec baseball games. Active crowds too. I wouldn’t say nobody cares about it. It’s not football I agree but college baseball is still a quality product. 

On 1/28/2022 at 8:31 AM, WETSU said:

It would work for sure. I just do not want to see the universities paying non students like that. Just a personal preference. If I wanted to watch overpaid spoiled athletes I’d just watch the nfl. 

i know the system I grew up watching is now broken. It is what it is. 

Same.  That’s why I feel they should turn it professional and profit off of it still and quit pretending it’s amateurism.  Nothing about today’s college football is amateur and the universities owning the “franchise” of the sport allows them to recruit openly similar to NFL free agency.  That’s basically what NIL is.  NIL needs to become the marketing of a player while the school compensates the athlete.  I would even throw out the idea of a salary cap for competitive balance.  I am not suggesting millions, I am thinking like $40k-$200k based on their role, and a free NIL market.  Plus we are working with contracts in this model which means that if they break that contract, they have to pay and sit out… I would suggest 2 yr contracts with renewals with a free break if drafted clause

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

I beg the differ on college baseball.  Every college game I’ve attended was packed.  The fans of universities and alumni have an attachment.  Minor league towns usually don’t care.  

5 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I beg the differ on college baseball.  Every college game I’ve attended was packed.  The fans of universities and alumni have an attachment.  Minor league towns usually don’t care.  

I agree… I catch a few TCU games a year and they are packed and so much fun… LSU baseball at the Box is even better

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

A class of 2023 five-star prospect has signed a multi-million NIL deal which is thought to be the largest deal ever for a non-professional athlete, per @slmandel. 

GET FULL DETAILS HERE: https://t.co/1cjPuW4aRc https://t.co/9dqRTn9gyK

So a kid that hasn’t even signed is already more valuable to someone than any current player? This has to be a big name. I can’t read the article but is is Arch Manning? That’s the only one I can think of drawing that big of deal regardless where he signs. 

7 minutes ago, WETSU said:

So a kid that hasn’t even signed is already more valuable to someone than any current player? This has to be a big name. I can’t read the article but is is Arch Manning? That’s the only one I can think of drawing that big of deal regardless where he signs. 

I've seen speculation it's one of the 5* Cali QB's.  Something about HS kids can sign NIL deals in that state??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WETSU said:

According to Stewart Mandel of The Athletic, a class of 2023 five-star prospect has signed a multi-million NIL deal and is thought to be the largest deal ever for a non-professional athlete. The name of the recruit was not named, keeping his identity secret from the public.

Up to $8 million could be included in the deal per the report, with $350,000 coming immediately. From there, the current high school senior will receive monthly payments for as much as $2 million each year. He will then have to make public appearances and “participate” in social media promotions for the third-party company.

“On Friday, a five-star recruit in the Class of 2023 signed an agreement with a school’s NIL collective that could pay him more than $8 million by the end of his junior year of college, The Athletic has learned,” the report said. “He’ll be paid $350,000 almost immediately, followed by monthly payouts escalating to more than $2 million per year once he begins his college career, in exchange for making public appearances and taking part in social media promotions and other NIL activities ‘on behalf of (the collective) or a third party.'”

8 hours ago, WETSU said:

Yep, buying players.  The only state where’s its legal for HS kids to sign NIL deals is California.  I don’t think it’s Arch.  If it is, I hope Texas bought him somehow

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Yep, buying players.  The only state where’s its legal for HS kids to sign NIL deals is California.  I don’t think it’s Arch.  If it is, I hope Texas bought him somehow

The only reason I suspect Arch would just be because he has the type of national intrigue that even before he plays a down he’s already famous. Not recruiting famous, like the kind of famous where every person that even casually watches will know that’s Peyton and Eli’s nephew. That type of following is valuable no matter what school he signs with. That’s why I suspected him. But it very well could be just some cali kid with a rich family friend willing to pay the kid. It’s not a school offering this. Schools don’t really buy the kids they just are the medium for boosters to do it from my understanding of the rule. 

19 minutes ago, WETSU said:

The only reason I suspect Arch would just be because he has the type of national intrigue that even before he plays a down he’s already famous. Not recruiting famous, like the kind of famous where every person that even casually watches will know that’s Peyton and Eli’s nephew. That type of following is valuable no matter what school he signs with. That’s why I suspected him. But it very well could be just some cali kid with a rich family friend willing to pay the kid. It’s not a school offering this. Schools don’t really buy the kids they just are the medium for boosters to do it from my understanding of the rule. 

The athletic dept will point boosters to the kids they want.  It’s already happening.  NIL should be renamed to Pandoras Recruiting Box

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I read a post from a guy that's about 50/50 on recruiting. He said it was a Tennessee collective, so that probably makes the player Iamaleava.

7 hours ago, JasperDawg said:

what yall think? the schools that athletes choose, gonna influence the deals for athletes? to be associated with top tier teams via the athlete.  brands are obviously seem to think it's  worth it. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2022/03/18/nil-alabama-football-nick-saban/7088659001/

You might find some answers in this thread below. 

https://www.smoaky.com/forum/index.php?/topic/189636-nil-issues/page/9/#comments

I don’t put any stock into anything NIL related coming from ON3. All it is is a formula that they themselves created that uses a recruits social media following and potential deals and comes up with an evaluation of their NIL potential. ON3 does not have official NIL numbers on a single player/recruit.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Sportsfanatic1 changed the title to Another proof NIL is out of hand..