💰 The Official NIL thread 💰

Here’s what I have to say about coaches discussing NIL…. Take it with a grain of salt. There’s a lot of “rumor” going around about NIL numbers but there’s not a lot of concrete evidence of it. ON3 is the worst about inflating this NIL information because they are using projected value numbers based off social media followers with no real evidence of specific numbers. 

What I’m trying to say is until I see legitimate numbers regarding NIL deals I’m not going to believe the numbers being put out. Do I think kids are getting nil? Yes. Do I believe we are seeing tons of 6-7 figure deals and it’s changing everyone’s recruiting and kids are only joining schools for cash? No. 

• 2 weeks later...

Miami's Isaiah Wong will enter the NCAA transfer portal tomorrow if his NIL compensation isn't increased, his agent Adam Papas told ESPN. "Isaiah would like his NIL to reflect that he was a leader of an Elite Eight team." Story: https://t.co/8GU8eJm9fp

Knew something like this was coming. 

Go look at those twin girls that transferred to Miami also. Said it wasn't about NIL.....yeah right lol

• Wow 1

College leaders are strongly urging the NCAA enforcement team to begin investigating what they deem to be obvious recruiting violations, past and present. Donor-led collectives that have struck deals with players before they sign binding letters of intent are violating rules, says George, one of the leaders of an NCAA working group that will soon publicize additional NIL guidelines. 

The guidance clarifies existing NCAA bylaws that prohibit boosters from being involved in recruiting. Any booster or booster-led collective that has been found to have associated with prospects about recruiting—on another college team or in high school—will be found to have violated NCAA rules and put the booster’s school at risk of sanctions, George says. In addition, a booster, or booster-run collectives, “cannot communicate with a student-athlete or others affiliated with a student-athlete to encourage them to remain enrolled or attend an institution.”

28 minutes ago, Stoney said:

College leaders are strongly urging the NCAA enforcement team to begin investigating what they deem to be obvious recruiting violations, past and present. Donor-led collectives that have struck deals with players before they sign binding letters of intent are violating rules, says George, one of the leaders of an NCAA working group that will soon publicize additional NIL guidelines. 

The guidance clarifies existing NCAA bylaws that prohibit boosters from being involved in recruiting. Any booster or booster-led collective that has been found to have associated with prospects about recruiting—on another college team or in high school—will be found to have violated NCAA rules and put the booster’s school at risk of sanctions, George says. In addition, a booster, or booster-run collectives, “cannot communicate with a student-athlete or others affiliated with a student-athlete to encourage them to remain enrolled or attend an institution.”

Interesting. 

This is how you’re going to wind up with the NCAA being Ivy League football and the big boy programs in their own league with huge tv deals. The NCAA purposely let the NIL roll out with the barest of bare minimum’s on what rules applied to NIL. Could you pay everyone on the team a flat fee like Miami?Could you pay position groups like Texas? Could you set up NFT’s like Oregon? Collectives like Tennessee? You could up to the point that you couldn’t. You can’t punish schools when you allowed there not to be any rules to start with. Is USC going to get hammered for the Pitt WR transfer? Is the Miami basketball player after he told the U to increase his NIL or he was bouncing? Caleb Williams to USC? The NCAA is almost at the tipping point of letting their incompetence blow up in their face. Let’s see you hammer A&M, Bama, Tennessee, USC, Oklahoma, Texas. Let’s see who the network guys are going to throw their money behind. The student athletes or the guys trying to earn a little green before they make the big bucks on Sundays. I’d guarantee within the next 10-20 years there will be a breakaway group of college programs in their own league.

4 minutes ago, Stoney said:

This is how you’re going to wind up with the NCAA being Ivy League football and the big boy programs in their own league with huge tv deals. The NCAA purposely let the NIL roll out with the barest of bare minimum’s on what rules applied to NIL. Could you pay everyone on the team a flat fee like Miami?Could you pay position groups like Texas? Could you set up NFT’s like Oregon? Collectives like Tennessee? You could up to the point that you couldn’t. You can’t punish schools when you allowed there not to be any rules to start with. Is USC going to get hammered for the Pitt WR transfer? Is the Miami basketball player after he told the U to increase his NIL or he was bouncing? Caleb Williams to USC? The NCAA is almost at the tipping point of letting their incompetence blow up in their face. Let’s see you hammer A&M, Bama, Tennessee, USC, Oklahoma, Texas. Let’s see who the network guys are going to throw their money behind. The student athletes or the guys trying to earn a little green before they make the big bucks on Sundays. I’d guarantee within the next 10-20 years there will be a breakaway group of college programs in their own league.

Oh I agree this was just a path towards blowing up the NCAA as we know it. I mean you can’t punish ANYONE at this point for how they handled NIL when you didn’t lay out any rules…. But this has to change the way things work moving forward right? I mean there are a few schools that this specially targets more than others for how they did things the last cycle. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WETSU said:

Oh I agree this was just a path towards blowing up the NCAA as we know it. I mean you can’t punish ANYONE at this point for how they handled NIL when you didn’t lay out any rules…. But this has to change the way things work moving forward right? I mean there are a few schools that this specially targets more than others for how they did things the last cycle. 

It will make changes but I wonder how those changes will take affect? Like the Tennessee QB commit. He’s openly out there with a $8m NIL deal from their collective. How do you handle that contract? Does the kid have to get out of it?  Is he grandfathered in because it doesn’t sound like they want to do that.

13 hours ago, Stoney said:

This seems aimed at certain schools... A couple of Texas schools and a deep south Florida school comes to mind.

• Like 1

This further proves my point that the university needs a financial person there to specifically handle NIL deals for athletes.  That person takes offers in monetary assets for _x_ position.  Coach goes out recruiting.  The sales pitch becomes, "Our financial department tells me that there are NIL offers on the table for up to $X amount for your position.  This can be allocated or assigned after your signing if you sign with us.  It is contingent on you staying _x_ years at our school on a guaranteed scholarship."

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Which Texas schools? 

The ones with big NIL deals (or at least rumored, possibly fabricated).  The NCAA is trying to make this "retroactive" which they will not be able to enforce.  If a recruit signed at Boise St because he was guaranteed a $1m NIL deal before he signed with a school because someone approached him about it, the NCAA wants to punish that school with a recruiting violation...  The rumors about the NIL deals surrounding TAMU, UT, USC, Miami, etc etc etc, is what the NCAA is trying to deem retroactive in this ruling...  They will get shot down in court, and these schools should rally the masses to end the NCAA forever.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

The ones with big NIL deals (or at least rumored, possibly fabricated).  The NCAA is trying to make this "retroactive" which they will not be able to enforce.  If a recruit signed at Boise St because he was guaranteed a $1m NIL deal before he signed with a school because someone approached him about it, the NCAA wants to punish that school with a recruiting violation...  The rumors about the NIL deals surrounding TAMU, UT, USC, Miami, etc etc etc, is what the NCAA is trying to deem retroactive in this ruling...  They will get shot down in court, and these schools should rally the masses to end the NCAA forever.

Let me stop you right there… the rumors are complete bs made up by opposing fanbases message boards. There hasn’t been even the faintest whisper of evidence backing them.  The fact some of you can even give credibility to some of this nonsense just shows how jaded you are as fans. 

Now regarding Texas, they publicly announced their NIL collective numbers and even went as far as to use it as a blatant recruiting tool by screaming from the rooftop that all oline players would get 50k off the top. That’s not remotely close to the same thing as message board rumors. 

• SMH 1

19 hours ago, WETSU said:

Let me stop you right there… the rumors are complete bs made up by opposing fanbases message boards. There hasn’t been even the faintest whisper of evidence backing them.  The fact some of you can even give credibility to some of this nonsense just shows how jaded you are as fans. 

Now regarding Texas, they publicly announced their NIL collective numbers and even went as far as to use it as a blatant recruiting tool by screaming from the rooftop that all oline players would get 50k off the top. That’s not remotely close to the same thing as message board rumors. 

You completely missed the point.  No point in reading anything after your 2nd sentence 

35 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

You completely missed the point.  No point in reading anything after your 2nd sentence 

No YOU missed the point. You’re making allegations for no reason with no backing on your original post about two Texas schools. I simply pointed out that you have no evidence with one school but there is with the other. 

22 hours ago, WETSU said:

No YOU missed the point. You’re making allegations for no reason with no backing on your original post about two Texas schools. I simply pointed out that you have no evidence with one school but there is with the other. 

I freaking called them rumors you dimwit.

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

This is why you saw top 2023 kids trying to reclassify for 2022.

Isn’t that a bold assumption without knowing each kid personally? I mean I’m not saying it’s not possible, but every since NIL became a thing it’s convinced everybody that the ONLY thing that matters to these kids is money. I just believe that there are many factors that go into recruitment decisions not just how do I make the most money. 

• Sportsfanatic1 changed the title to Another proof NIL is out of hand..