💰 The Official NIL thread 💰

It’s the NCAA but how can enforce and punish teams now, because you didn’t set the parameters of what was acceptable with NIL from the beginning. NCAA going to hammer all the programs or just pick & choose? You going to have some big blue blood programs fixing to be nails.

11 minutes ago, Stoney said:

It’s the NCAA but how can enforce and punish teams now, because you didn’t set the parameters of what was acceptable with NIL from the beginning. NCAA going to hammer all the programs or just pick & choose? You going to have some big blue blood programs fixing to be nails.

You already know the answer to that… There are about a dozen untouchables in college football. Then there’s about 20-30 that will get sanctions but just mediocre level stuff. The rest will get hammered. 

56 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Isn’t that a bold assumption without knowing each kid personally? I mean I’m not saying it’s not possible, but every since NIL became a thing it’s convinced everybody that the ONLY thing that matters to these kids is money. I just believe that there are many factors that go into recruitment decisions not just how do I make the most money. 

Because the NIL is still so new, I do believe there are still many kids out there making decisions on factors other than just money. That's not to say, however, that I believe the percentage of kids making their decisions already on money is a small amount either. 

That said, I also believe each year that goes by with this, that percentage will continue to climb higher. Just like when the NFL instituted the salary cap, the argument was made that in time you'll see true rivalries disappear. I think most would agree today that that's exactly what has happened. Similarly in college, I think you'll see loyalty to any school go out the window, and money will be the biggest factor for most. 

College football as we knew it yesterday is gone. 

26 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

@WETSU take your L over your butthurt A&M stance that I specifically called a rumor!

If I drag this out and make you look stupid then you better take YOUR L. 

you made a comment about this being directed at 2 teams in Texas. I asked which two and you then crawfished about rumors. I then point out how stupid and liberal you sound because you’re assuming this entire “rule” was aimed at a program because some message board hero posted a rumor online. But the point is you stretched this so far that you felt confident enough in saying this was aimed specifically at A&M BASED OFF A RUMOR.
I was never arguing you said it was a rumor. I was arguing that you felt confident enough to make an accusation then when asked why you then crawfished behind the word rumor. 

My whole point is why don’t you (and everyone else) have a little integrity and stop running with message board rumors without even slightly trying to provide some evidence. The Texas thing is not a rumor. They have been very vocal about their NIL collective deals up front even offering locked in guarantees for kids regardless if they are committed or not. so I get where you want to make statements about maybe this was aimed at them,  all I asked was leave A&M out of it until proof is provided. Then afterwards by all means slap them for their deals as well. 

And my delay is response because I don’t think it matters. You couldn’t even comprehend my statement correctly. You thought I was addressing the rumor when I am actually addressing your interpretation of the origin of the rule. 

On 5/10/2022 at 2:06 PM, WETSU said:

If I drag this out and make you look stupid then you better take YOUR L. 

you made a comment about this being directed at 2 teams in Texas. I asked which two and you then crawfished about rumors. I then point out how stupid and liberal you sound because you’re assuming this entire “rule” was aimed at a program because some message board hero posted a rumor online. But the point is you stretched this so far that you felt confident enough in saying this was aimed specifically at A&M BASED OFF A RUMOR.
I was never arguing you said it was a rumor. I was arguing that you felt confident enough to make an accusation then when asked why you then crawfished behind the word rumor. 

My whole point is why don’t you (and everyone else) have a little integrity and stop running with message board rumors without even slightly trying to provide some evidence. The Texas thing is not a rumor. They have been very vocal about their NIL collective deals up front even offering locked in guarantees for kids regardless if they are committed or not. so I get where you want to make statements about maybe this was aimed at them,  all I asked was leave A&M out of it until proof is provided. Then afterwards by all means slap them for their deals as well. 

I said it was based on actual NIL deals (Miami, Tenn) and rumored NIL deals specifically aimed around the 2 Texas schools which were already acknowledged by me as rumors.  Because I mentioned the mere idea of a rumor that involved TAMU had you seeing red, completely missing the point.  So let me try this again in elementary terms:

The NCAA doesn’t care that it was a falsified rumor.  The idea that this stuff was put out there and outraged a few gullible morons who hates _____ school, and believed it to be true had the NCAA crawfishing on their initial NIL rules.  Most of this has nothing to do with what actually happened.  It has everything to do with what could happen and the reaction to that.  

The A&M/Texas FALSE RUMORS (I need you to see this again) was the “could happen” and “reaction” that the NCAA is always trailing behind on their policies, while decades behind in others.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Iowa AD wants to reinstate the transfer sit out rule to try and curb NIL tampering.

I’d be on board with that.  Honestly, the NCAA should fire every single employee and let a representative from each school in their respective division  make the rules and govern changes

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I’d be on board with that.  Honestly, the NCAA should fire every single employee and let a representative from each school in their respective division  make the rules and govern changes

I honestly believe that the NCAA realizes it’s a dying institution. Mark Emmert seen the writing on the wall and bounced. Multi year investigations into programs leading to a 1 or 2 scholarship loss penalty. Allowing the NIL without any rules in place as far as what was or wasn’t allowed. I’m ready for the NFL Jr super conference league. These teams that want to play student athletes can schedule the Ivy League for their NC. Give me the blue bloods playing week in and week out with a roster full of the best players money can buy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Iowa AD wants to reinstate the transfer sit out rule to try and curb NIL tampering.

That’s the way it should be. I have no idea why we even bother with letters of intent anymore if these kids can just leave whenever with no consequences. I get leaving if you’re unhappy, but you should not be eligible immediately. 

7 minutes ago, WETSU said:

That’s the way it should be. I have no idea why we even bother with letters of intent anymore if these kids can just leave whenever with no consequences. I get leaving if you’re unhappy, but you should not be eligible immediately. 

I think it’s the simplest solution. Kids still get their NIL, but you want out you have to earn it by sitting out a year.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I'm okay with having it be "wild west" IF your coach leaves. No reason why a kid should be stuck at a school if he agreed to play under someone else. 

And yes, as a Sooner fan, I can see how this would totally allow what happened to have still happened. And I'm okay with that. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, LOL said:

I'm okay with having it be "wild west" IF your coach leaves. No reason why a kid should be stuck at a school if he agreed to play under someone else. 

And yes, as a Sooner fan, I can see how this would totally allow what happened to have still happened. And I'm okay with that. 

I can get behind this, but only for a HC. Something else I wouldn’t mind is letting new coaches sign as many players as they want as long as they stay under the 85 man limit. You wanna overhaul your team and sign 40 kids? Fine by me. I think new coaches should be allowed to “clean house” the same way that kids are allowed to jump ship. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I can get behind this, but only for a HC. Something else I wouldn’t mind is letting new coaches sign as many players as they want as long as they stay under the 85 man limit. You wanna overhaul your team and sign 40 kids? Fine by me. I think new coaches should be allowed to “clean house” the same way that kids are allowed to jump ship. 

Like the Georgia Tech coach who took over from Paul Johnson. You try to install a pro style or spread offense with holdover triple option guys. That’s kinda hard to do. Especially when you only have a 1 or 2 at max to turn things around.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 12:21 PM, Lobo97 said:

Because the NIL is still so new, I do believe there are still many kids out there making decisions on factors other than just money. That's not to say, however, that I believe the percentage of kids making their decisions already on money is a small amount either. 

That said, I also believe each year that goes by with this, that percentage will continue to climb higher. Just like when the NFL instituted the salary cap, the argument was made that in time you'll see true rivalries disappear. I think most would agree today that that's exactly what has happened. Similarly in college, I think you'll see loyalty to any school go out the window, and money will be the biggest factor for most. 

College football as we knew it yesterday is gone. 

Rivalries have already been walked away from by some…… 

• LOL! 1

On 5/12/2022 at 5:03 PM, Stoney said:

Like the Georgia Tech coach who took over from Paul Johnson. You try to install a pro style or spread offense with holdover triple option guys. That’s kinda hard to do. Especially when you only have a 1 or 2 at max to turn things around.

2 RB shotgun with read option every play would be my holdover offense year 1

• Like 1

Wonder what brought this on...... 

----------------------------------

Speaking in Birmingham tonight, Nick Saban called out Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M for their NIL recruiting methods. 

The Alabama head coach said the Aggies bought every player on their team with NIL deals this past recruiting cycle.

More HERE: https://t.co/qaqHKyZOML https://t.co/56el5X3qff

1 hour ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Speaking in Birmingham tonight, Nick Saban called out Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M for their NIL recruiting methods. 

The Alabama head coach said the Aggies bought every player on their team with NIL deals this past recruiting cycle.

@WETSU is going to stroke out 😂

1 hour ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Embarrassment and feeling threatened. Not from the recruiting class but from the game in October. Jimbo delivered on a promise with a backup qb and a WR corps held together with masking tape. And Saban mocked Jimbo in the spring for sticking his neck out and calling his shot. This is quickly becoming a personal rivalry for Saban/Jimbo. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

@WETSU is going to stroke out 😂

Nah. I mean if I just pooped my pants as a 3 TD favorite to a coach that told the whole world he was gonna do it before hand and I mocked him for it, I’d be salty too. Even the goat isn’t above being petty. 

Alabama coach Nick Saban said Tuesday that sophomore quarterback Bryce Young, the team’s presumptive starter in 2021, has already earned close to $1 million in endorsement deals.

“Certain positions, probably, enhance opportunities to create value, like quarterback, and our quarterback (Young) already has approached ungodly numbers -- I’m not going to say what they are -- and he hasn’t even played yet. Hasn’t even started,” Saban said at the Texas High School Coaches Association’s annual convention on Tuesday, according to The Athletic. “... It’s almost seven figures. And it’s like, the guy hasn’t even played yet. But that’s because of our brand.”

9-1 Covid year team. Orange Bowl champion. 16 Texas kids out of a 30 man class. The Bama upset. A coach with a history of top 10, top 5 recruiting classes. NIL played a part. There’s no doubt. I don’t think it was the deciding factor as much as other people think. If you had a blank check, Kenyon Green would still be on this team. Kelvin Banks would be in this class.

I think Saban is upset like he was about the hurry up offense. The transfer portal. He doesn’t like it until he’s able to understand it, then dominate it. Don’t let the NCAA’s culpability in the NIL/transfer portal mess get lost in the message. They allowed teams the opportunity to do whatever to get kids. NFTs. Team bonuses. Pancake factories. The Fund. Everyone was doing it. Some were just better at it the first go round. A 8-4 team had the #1 class. A 5-7 team had the #5 class.

• Sportsfanatic1 changed the title to Another proof NIL is out of hand..