How Very Republican Of Them

EnjoyLife

It is going to cause lightning to strike, but I pretty much agree with Barry on this subject. ⚡

Kids should NOT be allowed to work in a business place until they are 16 years old, have their driver's license, and employment's pay should be based on their educational grades in their 4 core subjects, by semester. 

They should not be allowed to work past 9:30 pm on a weekday--Sunday night through Thursday nights. But they should all be working, like most of us have throughout our lives. I know that when I was 14 I was a paperboy for the Lufkin News. Did that until I could drive. Have been working ever since in all kinds of industries. And both of my daughters are working while they are in high school and college. In fact, my eldest, will graduate in December from A&M Commerce--debt FREE because she has worked so much. 

But I see NO reason to lower the age limit, as most of those students at that age are barely able to take care of themselves, let alone deal with customers or older people, wanting service. Our school district actually offers high school classes that teach and provide licenses for fast food workers in town. The businesses love it, because it teaches them not only how to use the equipment, but the SEL that they will have to deal with. 

Just my .02. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

9 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Who is forcing these kids into these jobs? Who is mandating that they work them? 
nobody, they are choosing to work on agreed upon terms. It’s only liberal policies that want to stand in the way of that. 

You really don't understand things sometimes, and I am sorry that makes you bitter. Their parents can make them work, and their employers may not show restraint or respect for their age and situation. '
Agreed upon terms'??? :rofl:

• LOL! 1

1 minute ago, BarryLaverty said:

You really don't understand things sometimes, and I am sorry that makes you bitter. Their parents can make them work, and their employers may not show restraint or respect for their age and situation. '

I understand almost nothing of the nonsense you spew. 

So in your scenario the kids are forced to work by their parents and the mean old employer takes advantage of that? 
Ok, so once again your position is you and politicians know what’s better for teenagers than their parents? Is that correct? 

4 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

I understand almost nothing of the nonsense you spew. 

So in your scenario the kids are forced to work by their parents and the mean old employer takes advantage of that? 
Ok, so once again your position is you and politicians know what’s better for teenagers than their parents? Is that correct? 

I have never known of any parents forcing their 14 year old, or younger kids to work nights past 9:30 on school nights ... leave if up to liberal lawmakers to concoct extreme scenarios to push more government control  ....

37 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I have never known of any parents forcing their 14 year old, or younger kids to work nights past 9:30 on school nights ... leave if up to liberal lawmakers to concoct extreme scenarios to push more government control  ....

Same as the whole rape and incest argument, find the worst possible extreme and anchor down right there! 

But, what if a kid has to or wants to work late, EVEN ON SCHOOL NIGHTS, for the good of their family? Liberals say nope, can’t support your own that way! 
parents should make those calls, not a bunch of idiots Democrats 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Same as the whole rape and incest argument, find the worst possible extreme and anchor down right there! 

But, what if a kid has to or wants to work late, EVEN ON SCHOOL NIGHTS, for the good of their family? Liberals say nope, can’t support your own that way! 

I'm all for parental control,  not gubment control ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

I am not at all against teens working. They can earn a little $ and learn responsibility. What I am against is letting the CoC wing of the gop start rolling back child labor laws. 

👍. This is just an example....My son is in his 20's now but he worked from the time he was around 14 in the summers plus playing baseball ALL summer. I helped him find his jobs and I had the agreement with the people (people that were mostly good friends of mine). There was one time an employer ( a so called friend) didn't pay him his overtime. Me and my son talked to him in a very civil way (trying to teach my son not to discuss things when your mad) and come to an agreement or we would have hit the door. That's parental control, not govt control. Now my son works for a very large lineman company and does pretty good discussing any terms. I learned a long time ago it's all about the approach. I've NEVER had the govt help me do anything nor do I wish they would like some of our liberal friends wish.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trashyhound said:

What’s sad is that you even have to utter such a statement. 

6 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

They should not be allowed to work past 9:30 pm on a weekday--Sunday night through Thursday nights. But they should all be working, like most of us have throughout our lives. I know that when I was 14 I was a paperboy for the Lufkin News. Did that until I could drive. Have been working ever since in all kinds of industries. And both of my daughters are working while they are in high school and college. In fact, my eldest, will graduate in December from A&M Commerce--debt FREE because she has worked so much. 

I started working at 16. My junior year of high school, I barely had time after school for homework, as I worked and played football. So my "week" was basically this: Monday thru Thursday I was up at 5:30 or so AM. Get ready for school (I also had to take my sister and some cousins to school, except on days when we had practices in the morning). Go to school. After school, football practice. After practice, work. Work until 11 PM or so (including closing duties), go home, and do it all over again the next day. Friday was one of my "off" days, because I played ball. I would occasionally get a day off during the week, or have some time on weekends. But generally on Saturdays we'd have a morning film and weights session, and then I'd work an afternoon or closing shift. I think I got a bit of a respite on Sundays and was able to work a mid shift.

That's if I'm remembering correctly.

And I carried a high B average in school.

8 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

If some of you read the article, you might have noticed that it was about loosening up age restrictions down to 14 and allowing employers latitude to put on later hours. You want kids to never finish school or struggle to be successful in school? Make sure they work 35 plus hours a week starting when they are freshmen. Reasonable restrictions should be in place, in my opinion. And, yes, I did work since I was 12, hauling hay, mowing lawns, roofing houses, and every year of HS at a David's Supermarket for around $2.10 an hour. 

Federal Laws already allow for 14 year olds to work, but there hours are limited.  This would allow them to work more hours if they want to.  I went to work at Brookshire's at 14, because I had a family friend that was the manager.  They needed extra help for a promotion they were running.  Once the promotion ended he let me go, because I could only work so many hours in a night.   In the summer I would have worked as many hours as I could anywhere just to make some extra money.  Of course once school started my parents made me quit, because they felt academics were more important.  When you're a teenager you have a lot of energy.  I could go from 5:30 am to 11 p.m., and didn't need 8 hours of sleep.  Now, I feel like I need at least 9 a night.  I'm sure some parents would react the same way as mine, and cull back their hours.  Teenagers will quit jobs if they don't like too many hours.  I imagine most kids today wouldn't even look for a job.  

7 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Whatever, Ebenezer, maybe you might trying reading what I wrote, before you spew your default response.  I am not against working, and I did it myself. Having raised 4 kids, all who have worked steadily, and working directly with kids in Texas for 30 plus years, I know for a fact that some employers factor in age, as to reasonable hours, and some absolutely do not. Texas itself actually says very little in our law about it. 

Education should come first. You disagree? 

Texas still follows the Federal Guidelines.  While many don't see the posters of labor laws they hang in almost every employee area of any business.  You just don't see those posters, because you don't work in those places.  You wouldn't see those in a school or any business that doesn't hire people under the age of 18.  The restaurant I work at will not hire anyone under 18, because they can't go anywhere near where alcohol is served, they can't even touch an empty glass that once held alcohol in it for some odd reason.  

7 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

It is going to cause lightning to strike, but I pretty much agree with Barry on this subject. ⚡

Kids should NOT be allowed to work in a business place until they are 16 years old, have their driver's license, and employment's pay should be based on their educational grades in their 4 core subjects, by semester. 

But I see NO reason to lower the age limit, as most of those students at that age are barely able to take care of themselves, let alone deal with customers or older people, wanting service. Our school district actually offers high school classes that teach and provide licenses for fast food workers in town. The businesses love it, because it teaches them not only how to use the equipment, but the SEL that they will have to deal with. 

Just my .02. 

There are many menial jobs that they could do at any age.  When I was managing with Domino's my stepson actually wanted to come and help fold boxes, sweep floors, wash dishes or anything else he was capable of doing.  I paid him out of my own pocket, plus I traded pizza with the Gaslight Theater on Broadway in Tyler for free movies for my employees, fountain drinks, and popcorn.  He loved it.  If a kid can't do a job an employer would be stupid to put them in the position to do the job, because eventually it would cost them time and money.  

7 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Parents can barely get their kids to clean their rooms, and you think they're going to make them get a job ??  Ridiculous.  When I was a manager, I would always ask why someone was applying for a job.  If they told me it was just for a paycheck or something to get them to the next job, I went on to the next candidate.  Training costs money, and I didn't want temporary employees that weren't going to last long.  Turnover rates in the food industry are already very high, and I wanted retention.  If a kid came in to apply, and they said their parents wanted them to get a job, but they didn't really want to work then that's a no hire in many employers eyes.  

24 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

I started working at 16. My junior year of high school, I barely had time after school for homework, as I worked and played football. So my "week" was basically this: Monday thru Thursday I was up at 5:30 or so AM. Get ready for school (I also had to take my sister and some cousins to school, except on days when we had practices in the morning). Go to school. After school, football practice. After practice, work. Work until 11 PM or so (including closing duties), go home, and do it all over again the next day. Friday was one of my "off" days, because I played ball. I would occasionally get a day off during the week, or have some time on weekends. But generally on Saturdays we'd have a morning film and weights session, and then I'd work an afternoon or closing shift. I think I got a bit of a respite on Sundays and was able to work a mid shift.

That's if I'm remembering correctly.

And I carried a high B average in school.

Back in the day, almost everybody took off on Sunday because of the blue laws. We all remember the tape on aisles that had items that couldn't be purchased on Sunday.  About the only thing open was gas stations, restaurants, and grocery stores.  Even convenience stores wouldn't let you buy toys, but you could still buy beer.  Odd that Bill White (D) was the Governor when they were repealed, because that sounds a lot different than what they are saying here.  Governor Evers is a Democrat so if they pass this he could veto it.  This is only a proposed plan.  If he signs it into law then a Democrat made it official.  

"No one is forcing them to work"... "both parties agreed"..."If a kid wants to work..."

I bet those are the same arguments used a century ago to justify kids working 12 hour shifts on the factory floor. Im not against kids working (within reasonable limits) but I also realize that the business community has not changed since those dark days and if they (and their army of lobbyists) see any chance to roll back child labor laws they will do so. Thank goodness there were folks around back then that understood the need to protect the vulnerable.

On 12/24/2021 at 11:57 AM, DannyZuco said:

Just my .02. 

I picked blueberries at Blackburn farms in the summer at 14